breeders

I know there are a limited amount of breeder in the US so I am considering looking overseas and having the dog imported. can anybody recommend a good breeder?

Comments

• edited November -1
    I'll be stalking this. I was wondering where a lot of people here purchased their pups from too, although I already found two breeders in Europe that I'm so far pretty happy with as they've been answering my questions etc. It'd be nice to see who some of you guys trust.
  • edited November -1
    yea i've contacted the guy from japaneseakitas.org. seems like a possibility the only problem is I have to drive across the country to pick the puppy up since he won't ship.
  • aykayk
    edited November -1
    I don't know the ins and outs of the JA world, but I do know that the JACA has members that imported dogs from Shirai kennels in Japan.

http://www.geocities.jp/shiraikennel/

Three reds were imported this year to southern CA. Ben Herrera of japaneseakitas.org is caring for 2 red adults imported from Shirai, and there is a red male puppy purchased by a different member that was also coincidentally brought over on the same plane as Ben and the adults.

I believe there is another red male from Shirai that was imported earlier by a JACA member. Onehei?

I get the impression that some of the kennels in Europe and Russia also have dogs from Shirai. If you do a search with "Shirai" on this forum, you might be able to pull up some feedback on this kennel.

Personally, I think that if you can get a puppy from Ben, it's a safer choice than navigating the foreign waters. Aya already has projeny in the US, and I know Ben was very happy at Kita's recent hip x-rays.
  • edited November -1
    A good JA import will run you 5 to 10k.

The reason why JAs are not being shipped outside the west coast is because there is a huge waiting list. There is a breeder in Texas they are planning an aug breeding. MnV got his from a guy in Mexico.
    After a few breedings - you will be able to buy one out here and pick it up.
  • edited November -1
    How about Miisan Akita in Florida? I noticed their website is down.
  • edited November -1
    My understanding was that Miisan a partnership. They produced both JA and tweenie puppies.
    Word has it that one of the partners passed away. That said, they are trying to produce some JA puppies and shy away from tweenies.
  • edited November -1
    yeah, last I had checked with Miisan was that they were only breeding JA puppies, no tweenies
  • edited November -1
    I heard the same thing about Miisan, I hope it is true. A full JA breeder on the east coast would be really good.
  • edited November -1
    I've actually gotten to meet Donald of Miisan at a Local Show [ & a few of their JA pups ]

The few dogs I met were great, & Donald himself was awesome, so much fun to talk to. If I ever was going to get a JA, it'd be from Miisan. :) ~
  • edited November -1
    i tried going on miisan akitas site but it is unavailable (http://www.inu.com/). does anyone know how i could get in contact with Donald? i do agree that it would be great to find a breeder on the east coast
  • This is Donalds email: spunkyfl@hotmail.com