Hokkaido Association of North America (HANA)

Comments

• @ttddinh I would have to say yes. More vocal, with a bit of Shiba attitude thrown in for fun.
  • edited September 2013
    @thewalrus---yikes, sounds lovely.

• Yeah, I've only had a Hokkaido pup for almost two weeks and I can attest to their noisiness! Loud and vocal these dogs are for sure. Very smart through, Katana is learning things incredibly quickly.
  • @ttddinh I would have to say yes. More vocal, with a bit of Shiba attitude thrown in for fun.
    Yikes! they're gorgeous, but...that description scares me a bit. I think I may have to love them from afar! :)
    That is one thing I love about them. :)

The videos of Hokkaido I seen they do seem vocal. Love the ones where they're being vocal greeting their friend reminds me of Saya as she always yodel when people come by or when excited.
  • @shibamistress--that was I was thinking! They are gorgeous though!
  • Hokkaido are very talkatives... ;)
  • Wow, shiba-tude in a larger package PLUS more vocal? I commend everyone's dedication!
  • As far as vocalizing goes, I'm interested to see how they compare to our Laika... If they're worse than Laika I may be sending them back to Shigeru! lol
  • Send them to me first ;)
  • You can send them here. Vocal is not a problem.
  • I will happily take one off your hands if they are too loud. Nola will tell them to shut up. Haha.
  • edited September 2013
    I uploaded the new logo Chrys generously made for us, onto the webpage. The page will be changing soon when I switch hosts, and I will make the logo the banner to high-lite it's awesomeness. Our first newsletter is also in the works :)

www.hokkaidoken.com

• Awesome!!!! Another excellent logo by Chrystal.
  • yay! There it is!
    :)
  • Awesome logo!

As far as Hokka being more vocal... I've never felt like Meitou was that bad. Yeah, he's more vocal than my Border Collie (she doesn't bark much normally). He makes cute noises, whines a little more, and alert barks an appreciated amount. But he's not over the top or anything. ;) His worst offense is his manic humping, lol. Not his barking.

@brada1878 I would say, "send one to me" but I can't have another dog at the time being (grumpy old dog and housing limits).
  • @Lindsayt I sent you an email wasn't sure if my application was sent OK.
  • Nicole, we did receive your app :) We are having some paypal issues related to getting a club bank account setup, but I will work on it this week. Thank you!
  • I'm having issues with the post office in regards to setting up a PO box, so mine might be a bit late.
    Also, my Jeep is not running right now, so I can't really go anywhere anyways.
  • No problem I didn't know if I messed up and sent it wrong or what. haha

• edited September 2013
    I got the results from Genetic Laboratory and Seta + Maruto:
    Genotype CEA R/r - CARRIER !!!

I think ALL Hokkaido Breeders MUST DO this genetic CEA test!
    Because a manual check shows negative result but a dog can be carrier!!!

so... pups from Seta x Maruto litter:
    "Breeding two carrier dogs will produce a 25% chance of a pup being affected, a 50% chance of it being a carrier, and a 25% chance of it being clear of the condition".

A big question: can we find a NON CARRIER (CLEAR) hokkaido? Or all are carriers or affecteds...
  • edited September 2013
    http://www.isds.org.uk/society/dog_registration/eyetest_informationsheet.htm

Are you saying it is OK to breed from Carrier dogs?
    Definitely yes, under controlled conditions. Following discussion with the experts in genetics, it was recognised that controlled breeding from CEA Carrier dogs could be of benefit to the genetic strength of the breed while ultimately permitting eradication of the atypical CEA gene. Most all animal geneticists will point out that it is very bad for a breed’s health to ‘ban’ a single gene characteristic as this can easily lead to unforeseen consequences. Normally, the Society will not accept pup registration where one of the parents is an Affected but, if the dog is of exceptional merit, there can be an appeal to the Stud Book Committee for specific permission.
  • That is disappointing to hear. Statistically the whole breeding population can't be carriers or affecteds, so I imagine with testing we will find out just how bad the issue is in the breed.
  • If there's a known affected Hokkaido, I would have that dog tested to make sure that the CEA DNA test is testing for the actual disease and not a marker.
  • @wrylybrindle--AWESOME design (as usual). Just my 0.02 cents, but the flower seems really bright, the dog does not stand out as much. I am first attracted to the flower and not to the dog because of the color. I think making the flower a little lighter would draw more attention to the dog. Of course, that is just my opinion!!!
  • http://www.isds.org.uk/society/dog_registration/eyetest_informationsheet.htm

Are you saying it is OK to breed from Carrier dogs?....etc.
    Don't breed R to R and you'll be ok. Seta and Maru seem to be healthy in all other aspects (as far as I know), so it wouldn't make sense to not breed them because of one recessive trait.

@WrylyBrindle Incredible work, really dig it! We definitely need to get that on shirts! ;)
  • Yeah I love that logo design. :)
  • @cezieg - Erm... I don't think you're using the standard lingo there.

Dogs that show the disease (affected) are homozygous recessive r/r.
    Dogs that carry the disease are R/r.
    Dogs that don't carry the disease are R/R.

You want as many capital "R" as possible. At least one in each dog so you're not producing any affecteds.

• I'm not a HANA member, but the breedings that I would do with a clear conscience are:

1) Clear to clear. (R/R to R/R) There's no chance of any pups being affected. If you're absolutely confident in the lab that does the DNA test, you can proceed via lineage tracking instead of DNA testing.

2) Clear to carrier. (R/R to R/r). There's no chance of any pups being affected but need to test the pups.

The breedings that will cause some controversy would be the following:

1) Carrier to carrier. (R/r to R/r). This will produce 25% chance of clears, 50% chance of carriers, and 25% chance of affecteds. All the pups would need to be DNA tested. The preservation organization would need to decide upfront what to do with the affected dogs. ie. What breeder/member would take in the affected pup, or is euthanasia is on the table if nobody volunteers to take in such a dog?

2) Clear to affected. (R/R to r/r). This will produce all carriers. No need to DNA test the pups. The tough criticism to weather is using affecteds at all. ie. Does the ends justify the means? How long would this be allowed?

3) Carrier to affected. (R/r to r/r). This would produce 50% carriers and 50% affecteds. All the pups would need to be DNA tested. Again, the same issue is whether affecteds should be used at all, and if so, when the practice should be weaned out?

The breeding that I could not do with a clear conscience:

1) Affected to affected. (r/r to r/r). There is no chance of any pup having normal sight, and there is no progress made to improve the health of the breed. Individual pup suffers, breed stagnates. And unless another disease shows up in the Hokkaido that is worse than CEA, this disease is severe enough for a hunting dog to not settle for status quo.

JMHO.

• edited September 2013
    Yeah I'm a little exhausted, in the middle of working 80 hours in 10 days... on top of a full course load lol. @ayk is correct with the lower case r's. Letters were off, but the concept is there.