Kai with long coats

2»

Comments

• Wouldn't mind seeing his "summer cut" too. ;) I know it's not done in N. America, but I'm fascinated by how it's actually a really common thing on the other side of the Pacific.
  • Long coat Kaï do have the rigth to appear in show here, but don't have the rigth to enter a breeding program.
  • Long coated Kai do have the right to show AND to breed here ! ! !

In the FCI standard, the long coat is a fault, but not a major fault. Only major fault can avoid the dog from breeding.

I never understand why the long coat is "allowed" in Kai on our standard... :/
  • Maybe because of the too little number of Kaï?

So Long coat has the right to be breed here... I was certain that not.
  • edited September 2013
    If they can be shown in dog show, they can be confirmed, so they can be use in breeding... ;)

Long coat is a fault, but most of juges here doesn't really know the breed... And doesn't penalize it in show.
  • @curlytails I would never do a short cut on a Kai. Koda had one this summer due to a surgical procedure and he has the WORST allergies because of it. Their fur protects them. He also got a horrible tan and it is all peeling off. Poor guy is miserable.
  • Interesting thanks for the letting us know on your experience.

I'm glad Saya is normal coated shiba she is such all around dog dirt comes off once dry.
  • @tjbart17, I agree about not giving a short haircut to Kais, since I believe that nothing on their body is superfluous. However, I think this owner felt sorry for the dog suffering in the summer heat - our summers are nothing short of "tropical" and this year, we had 2 days on the run when the day's lowest temperature remained above 30 degrees centigrade! I also regret to say that this owner keeps the dog in the garden during the day, taking him indoors only before going to bed. With a summer cut, the dog is in a sorry state and that is why I would rather wait until winter to take a photo of him.
  • @Kaiken_Taiga Where I live in California, our summers are 37-40 C almost daily and worse sometimes. :-) It does stink to have to walk the dogs at 5 am and watch them hibernate all day.

I would love a 30 C day!! ha ha.
  • edited September 2013
    @tjbart17, I would love to live in California - to me, it is the land of oranges and I adore citrus trees. I did not know that you get days with minimum temperatures of 37-40 C. However, our summers are of monsoon nature and the humidity is unbearable. So, when you have days with the LOWEST temperatures of above 30 degrees celcius, there is no respite even in the early hours of morning, and it gets much worse during the day - not that I am trying to outdo Californian summer.