Ninja's Behaviorist Visit

edited April 2008 in Shiba Inu (柴犬)
So when is it? I know its this week (right?)... keep us posted, I'm excited to hear how things go. I hope it exceeds expectations!

Comments

• edited November -1
    Its on Saturday at 10am! The same day you get Lani!  Yeah, Im excited too!!!  I hope everything goes well.  You know me, Ill be on here the second he walks out the door!
  • edited November -1

i must not be reading everything.

why is ninja seeing a behaviorist?  

• edited November -1

He is very fearful and anxious.  I got him at 4 months old from a breeder in Missouri.  I found him online...so I was asking a ton of questions and it seemed that he was the perfect bundle of joy.  When I got him he was very shy, but I figured, new home, new environment, jet lag, it will be fine.  Well he warmed up to us within a week, but he would run away and hide when any strangers came over.  At his second vet appointment he freaked out and started screaming and pooped while in the arms of my vet.  We started conditioning him with strangers using treats.  He will now sit or lay in the same room with a stranger no problem and will take treats from their hands.  However, if the stranger approaches Ninja he will growl instantly, if the stranger attempts to pet or touch him he will growl more and once they get too close, he will nip at them.  He does not get along with other dogs, he won't even let them smell him, its an instant growl when they get close and if i allowed them to stay close, im sure he would bite them. 

So, the reason for the behaviorist is to learn how to correct him and learn other ways to help condition him.  I tried a bunch of things, and i just thought it would be best to get a professional in here to make sure we're doing all the right things. 

• edited November -1

Romi, please let me know how things go.  I am just returning from the doggie park and Jake's possessiveness blossomed with the thorns of roses.

It starts out fine until 4 large dogs all gather around him, putting him in the middle.  Jake immediately insists that the dogs adhere to Shiba etiquette, 3 do, 1 does not, becoming obsessive with Jake, running after him every step of the way.  Luckily, the owner witnessed this behavior and calls the dog off, only for the dog to return after a short stint oncel Jake starts playing with other dogs. Jake once again told the dog 'back off' out of my face, so the dog becomes aggressive and grabs jake by the neck, at which time both myself and the dog's owner step in.  I am glad to say the owner realized his dog was a problem and took him out of the park.  However, that all got Jake's temperment started and he was ready.  23 lbs mind you, with dogs at least 40-50.

Now, it's nice dogs playing ball with their owners, no one paying attention to Jake.  So, Jake decides to demand attention from one of the nice dogs by trying to take away the ball from it's mouth.  This time I step in, leash Jake and walk with him to the benches, but the 'mine' possessiveness was already in play and Jake was ready to take 'em on.  Any dog that came near he and I was immediately greeted with a 'back off' gruff and our social activity had to be cut short.

He has been so much better at the dog park, sharing the water bowl when he use to guard it.  He even shared some of the toys with some dogs on occasion.  Just seems like when he runs into the one dog that becomes an annoyance, all heck breaks loose.

What can I do to break Jake's possessiveness?  I see others on the forum with 3 or 4 dogs, playing nicely with toys.  What can I do to achieve that same level of socialization?  Can you throw in that question for your pro for me?  If I can't stop him, I suppose the park will no longer be an option for us.

• edited November -1

I think in the video's what you see is a pack of dogs who know thier place in the pack, that's why they play so well.  There is always risk taking your dog out into a public place with other off leash dogs.  Some dogs just don't like certain dogs.  I wouldn't say he's being possessive.  It seems more like he wants attention and someone to play with.  Maybe when you see him start being a bully and taking toys from other dogs who are minding their own business, you might want to step in, re-direct him somewhere else with you and try doing some obedience training with him.  If there are no dogs there that want to play with him, I would try catching up on some training, he's still in the presence of other dogs and it will help him learn to concentrate and focus on you, even though there are other dogs in the area. 

I would always step in when I noticed that Portia was pestering another dog who wasn't interested in her.  The owners would say its fine, but I felt that I needed to take control and make sure she knew that some things are ok and some things are not and when I say stop, she needs to stop.  So that was good training for her.  You might want to use the command "LEAVE IT"  We did this with things in their mouths they weren't supposed to have in there or if they were getting too close to something they weren't supposed to go near.  Eventually they learned that it meant to leave it alone and move on to something else.  So it actually worked really well at the dog park with leaving certain dogs alone.

• edited November -1
    Thanks Romi.  You are right.  Sometimes I feel Jake has ADD and getting his attention is often difficult, especially in the park situation with tons of happenings.   Laughing  How I got his attention to re-direct from the dog with the ball was to run inbetween and literally sweep him up in my arms.  But, you are so right.  I should have at that point gone to the other end of the park and grabbed some training time while remaining in the park.  I will try that next time.  I am sorry to say that I have delayed much discipline and/or training because of the ADD issue and my patience level is low I suppose.  There are rules at home he knows to follow but I haven't been quite as forceful out and about.  I will work on it.
  • edited November -1
    What we did to teach them to "LEAVE IT" was we would put a treat in our hand and let them sniff, then we would close our hand, and they would start sniffing it trying to get to it and then we would say "LEAVE IT" in a firm voice, and once they stopped trying to get it, we would open our hand and say "TAKE IT" and let them have it.  So it kind of seems like if they leave it, they will get a reward in return.  After that we started dropping treats on the floor and telling them to leave it and covering it with our foot, and then uncovering it and saying "TAKE IT".  Now anytime we say it, they instantly leave it.  You can train him even when he's chewing on a bone or playing with a toy, just say "LEAVE IT" and after he drops it or leaves it alone then you can praise him and let him play with it again.  My dogs seemed to learn this command very fast compared to other ones.  Good Luck with the training!
  • edited November -1

reading Ninja's issues makes me think that I'm on the right path with our newest rescue - a crazy winding branch covered path - but the right one nonetheless.

although Kitsune is anti social and barks at new people, he will let the vet handle him! and eventually sniffs people when their back is turned.

i'm anxious to see what the behaviorist tells you and what i should look out for in his temperment when it comes time for professional help!

• edited November -1
    Here is the original discussion I made when I first noticed Ninja's behavior starting: http://www.nihonken.org/forum/comments.php?DiscussionID=668&page=2#Item_42 .  You can read through it, a lot of the other members gave me great advice, so it might help answer some of your questions as well.  I will definately post an update after the session is over and hopefully some of the information will be helpful to you.
  • edited November -1
    YAY - tomorrow's the big day!!!
  • edited November -1
    Woohoo! Hope all goes well.
  • edited November -1
    *fingers crossed* (again, I think that's three times today :-))
  • edited November -1
    We're gonna get finger cramps lmao.
  • edited November -1

HAHAHAH Rina!

Cant wait to hear.  did you go with barkbusters? 

• edited November -1
    good luck! keep us posted! I hope it goes great.

Be good litttle Ninja man!
  • edited November -1

OK! So we just finished our 3 hour session with Frank our dog behaviorist from Bark Busters.  I am very pleased with the results so far and he was VERY informative!  We learned that we were doing a good job for the most part, but our skills were lacking the in the leadership department and thats the most important thing.  Frank decided that he would use Portia as the model dog and we would work with Ninja.  He didn't want to put too much stress on Ninja so he thought it would be better if we just worked with him and he showed us the techniques with Portia.  Unfortunately, Portia is like the best loose leash walker and he couldn't really do much with her. 

From reading Ninja's body language, Frank believes that Ninja doesn't see us as the leaders of the pack, therefor taking on the role of the leader on himself.  So the first thing we started out with was leadership.  Ninja and Portia always bark when the door bell rings, so we started with that.  After about 3 reps of the door bell ringing, Ninja caught on.  I was quite amazed how fast he learned. 

Then we moved on to the walk.  As you all know, Ninja always has to be in front of me.  So we started out with walking and whenever he walked in front of me, I would turn and go the other direction.  Frank did not want to work with Ninja int he beginning because he didn't want to stress him out.  But he decided that he would give it a try and if he noticed Ninja stressing, he would stop. We did a very slow lead trade and then he took the lead and started walking. I was sure Ninja wouldn't walk with him, he protested for a whole 10 seconds and was off with him!  I have tried this method before, but I was doing it all wrong.  He showed us how to do it, when to correct, when to praise, etc.  It took a bit for him to catch on, but after about 10 minutes he was walking next to me!

Then we worked on his Attentiveness.  Frank did an example with him and I was blown away! He was  listening to his commands and following without a problem.  Frank barely had to touch his butt to make him sit, he just pointed to the ground and down went Ninja's butt.  He started doing a mix of the Attentive training and the "come" command and it was really amazing how focused Ninja was on Frank.  At this point, Frank was able to pet him on the top of his head, no problem!  (UNBELIEVABLE RIGHT!?!?!)

Frank then put the super long lead on Ninja to make it seem as if Ninja was off leash to see how well he would react to my commands.  He did REALLY WELL!  He was following behind me and very attentive.  So we really didn't need any corrections in that area.  I was really surprised that Ninja wasn't bolting trying to chase after the leaves blowing by (its really windy today).  He was just so focused on me!

Anyway, our next session is in 2 weeks.  It will be a follow up on the stuff we learned today to see if we have made progress and Frank will be bringing one of his dogs to see Ninja's reaction to other dogs.  We will then go to a park with lots of people and other dogs and proceed with training there. 

I must say, a lot of the stuff he talked about, John and I already knew about...we just didn't know how to do it.  I gained A TON of confidence from this session and im really excited to start being a real leader.  Im really happy with the results of the first session and Im excited to see Ninja's progress in the next few months!

I have to work on my "BAH" noise, its pretty pathetic right now, but he says its very important to stick with it.  He also gave us 3 of those green pouches with the chains inside to throw next to Ninja to get his attention. 

Overall, im very pleased with the experience.  Laughing YAY!!!!!!!!!

• edited November -1

that is wonderful!!

i think we are too ready to believe just because we've read something or watched it on TV, that we can do it with our own dogs. I think a lot of my issues with our rescues is my own confidence!

Keep us updated on your progress - and Ninjas!! I'm so glad to hear it was worth doing for him!!

• edited November -1
    That's awesome Romi! I'm so glad things went well. I knew you guys and Ninja had it in you. I can't wait to hear mores stories about how well he's doing. Now you're making me wonder if I should think about hiring someone. Big smiles! And big hugs for Ninja!
  • edited November -1

That's great Romi!  It sounds like Ninja was NOT stressed and actually enjoyed the session. I know that you and John will be consistent and your lives are going to be so much easierLaughingLaughing.

• edited November -1
    Great news! I'm glad it went well and that you guys liked it and learned from Frank! I am considering getting someone to come here too, to see what we're doing right and wrong, in sort of a preventive move.
  • edited November -1
    Woohoo go Romi, John, Portia and Ninja!
  • edited April 2008

Romi it took me a long time to get the BAH down and sometimes i still screw it up. When you are in the moment it can come out awesome. Did you get it for just Ninja or Portia too? Portia doesnt need it and you can get some side tips for her while working with Ninja.

Edit: BAHing at your significant other is a lot of fun, Chad got one today....He was annoying me! 

• edited November -1
    wow! sounds like it went great! i'm so stoked for you! worth the money, right? i will have to reread this post when i get home to make sure i did't miss anything... good job Ninja!
  • edited April 2008

Oh man, it was a high at 91 degree's today! And we were working outside for about 2 hours or so.  I don't know who was more exhausted, me or the dogs!  Well I just woke up from a 4 1/2 hour nap!!!  Its now 8:45 pm. lol.  Thanks guys, I am really happy with how it went!

Dave/Rui - I would look into it if you're getting concerned or if you just want to make sure everything you're doing it right, just for some extra advice and information, it can't hurt. 

Dorothy - Yeah! I was totally SHOCKED the way Ninja was behaving with Frank.  I was so blown away.  He seemed more perky and somewhat relaxed, not really giving a care to anything else going on around us.  It was awesome!

Rachael - LOL, the BAH is a lot harder than people think.  The first one I did, i started laughing mid "BAH" it didn't come out right at all!  I sounded like a dying sheep!  Frank was saying that he always "BAH"'s at his friends kids on accident just because he's so used to it and his wife does it alot to him as well.  So I guess you're not the only one Rach!  We only got it for Ninja, we figured we would only pay once and just use him for all the dogs we ever got.  He seems really cool about it too, he said anytime we add another dog, just give him a call and he will assist us or he will come down to be there for the introduction. 

Brad - DEFINATELY worth the money!  After the visit, its like $600.00? No Problem!

I remember some people said they used bark busters before and weren't too pleased with them.  It seems that Bark Busters have a lot of independent contractors working under their name.  Frank said that he has his own business, and partnered up with Bark Busters.  But anywho, There are some good behaviorist/trainers out there, you just got to look for them!  So anyone who is looking, DON'T GIVE UP!  It took me about 2 months to find Frank, just like looking for a new puppy and researching the breeders, its the same thing with behaviorists Laughing

Woo, I feel like this is a new beginning for us!  And thank you guys soo much for all your support and advice throughout the weeks of my non-stop anxiety/fear/frustration!  I really appreciate you guys and can't thank you guys enough!!!  HUGS & KISSES TO EVERYONE!!!

• edited November -1
    Aren't good trainers just the best? We've had the good fortune to work with Peter Vollmer of SuperPuppy for years. And we've learned so much and looking back it all seems so obvious! Anyway, congratulations and keep up the good work. Re the 'Bah' sound, it has to come from within your body as a force going outwards like in martial arts, it can't be a sound that just comes from your voicebox. You have to project. I once had a loose pit bull start running towards my leashed Malamute [dog aggressive] and Shiba. I held up my hand and projected my 'stopper sound' just as the dog started his first stride towards us and it was forceful out of fear and desperation. It stopped the dog in his tracks and gave the owner time to grab her dog.
  • edited November -1

I'm so glad you're having such a great experience! I know Ninja's behavior has been a source of stress and anxiety for you. 

It is really tough to find a behaviorist. I've been searching for one for years but I might have found one....if they would just contact me. Tho I think I emailed Victoria's partner, when I meant to email Victoria Stillwell. Dunno how. After the wedding, I'll have to focus on that.

• edited November -1
    So, now that I've processed what you said Romi, I'm curious how the attention work was done. Was it based on treats? Or was it more about how you interacted with Ninja? Also, In your last post you unknowingly hit one of my pet peeves: Its "by accident" and "on purpose" but never "on accident". :-P
  • edited November -1

Dave - For praise, its all vocal.   Basically, while on lead, you let them stray away or get distracted then you make the "BAH" noise to get their attention and then you kneel down and say "come".  When they start to come back you stand up tall and praise with words, "GOOD BOY NINJA" in a very high happy pitched voice. 

You can use any word/noise to get their attention, but he just wants us to use the "BAH" noise because that is part of their training.  But he said you have to praise them after like 1 second because if you don't , they won't know what it's for. 

Then we went to a long lead and started walking and when he got distracted we did the same thing.  He said this is a great tool for training because if your dog ever gets loose and is out on the street,  he will come to you when called instead of ignoring you and running away.  When Ninja was on long lead it was sooo amazing how focused he was on me. 

Ill try to get a video of Ninja in training, im not sure if what im writing makes sense.

• edited November -1
    Thanks Romi. That's interesting that's all it took. I was thinking you would need some serious ammunition to get a Shiba to pay that much attention to you. ;-)
  • edited November -1
    Dave-BB guns are NOT ok for Shiba's!!
This discussion has been closed.