Living with an Akita-inu

edited December 2009 in Akita (秋田犬)
Hi,

Come next summer its possible that I'll be owning my first house. As I'm single, I'm interested in getting an Akita-inu (JA) for a companion. I've been trying to gather as much information about the Akita as I can and I have a pressing question.

What I'd like to know is how do you go about your days with your job(s) and your dog(s)?

This is my primary concern, as I work from 3pm to 11pm and nowhere near close enough to come home for lunch.

Although I have more questions, mainly on how to go about acquiring one, I'm hesitant until I'm certain I'll bringing the dog into a good home.

Thanks
David

Comments

• edited November -1
    We have 4 Akita Inu, but we work from home, so I cannot really shed much light on your questions. Rui (Leonberger), a member here, has Kuma (a male JA) and works pretty long hours. He can probably shed some light on how Kuma does w/ his working routine. I'm sure others can too, I just don't know if they have 8-5 type jobs.

As for where to get an Akita from, I think that depends on where you live and how much you are willing to spend to get one. There are a few good breeders of JA in the USA as well as AA and "blends".

Good luck!

----
  • edited November -1
    Thanks for the reply,

I'm interested in the Japanese Akita and I have little reservations on paying a premium provided the dog is from a good breeder.

I'm from Ottawa Ontario Canada, so unless I manage to find the one elusive local JA breeder, as I did with a Shiba breeder, I'm almost guaranteed to be shipping a dog.

I've read in other posts, that shipping a dog isn't necessarily that big of deal, provided all the requirements are met.

I believe you had some dogs imported correct? How was the experience?

And you say that there are some JA breeders in North America, could you list some please?

Thanks
  • edited November -1
    I don't have direct experience with Akita, but the general rule of thumb would be if you work long hours and can't be home, then an older dog is probably going to be a better fit for your situation than a puppy. I don't want to put words in Rui's mouth, but I'm pretty sure either he, his girlfriend, or his father let Kuma out at least once during the work day when he was a puppy, and even then it took him a few months to be able to hold his bladder during the day.

Good luck with the house BTW!
  • edited November -1
    Thanks Dave,

I agree, an older dog would definitely fit me better. I've looked into getting an older dog, no breed in particular, and
    there are some great advantages to both owner and dog. The owner gets to know what they're getting into, such as any
    health issues, any training the dog has undergone, temperament towards other dogs/cats/people, etc. And the dog
    gets loving forever home that is fully aware of any issues it might have.

I'm interested in a red/fawn/sesame colored Akita and as of right now, the only adult red/white JA that I know of that
    "might be" available is Fuji from http://andersondogranch.blogspot.com/

I think that's your site right Brad? How's Fuji, and you're other Akitas doing?
  • edited November -1
    Hi Dave.

We got Kuma almost two years ago, after very long consideration on the right breed of dog for our living arrangements. I work odd hours, and so I needed a dog that could do better than most on staying alone for a bit more time than usual. The Akita seemed to fit the bill. Having said that, it is very rare that Kuma spends more than 6 hours alone (not really alone, we have a cat, Nyx, that is his age) I can't come back during the day to walk him, but Nat (my girlfriend) can normally do it, or if she can't my Dad stops by on his way to or from work and takes him out for a good walk.

About the potty training, it took us a a few weeks, while Kuma still didn't have his full first round of shots. But after he was cleared to go out full on, it took 2 weeks to be accident free in the house. Of course this involved sticking to a strict potty schedule (taking him out every 45 minutes or so, while we were home).

I'm on my way to work, so I can't elaborate much, but I hope this helps.
  • edited November -1
    An idea, if you can't let the pup out during lunch and you don't have family who could, why not hire a dog walker.
  • edited November -1
    Hi David,

Yes, that is our site. Feel free to email me regarding Fuji and our other Akita, if you like (our email is in the blog post).

As for us importing, yes, we have imported all 4 of our Akita (from Europe). The shipping process was not an issue at all, very easy - tho rather expensive (more than the price of the pup in some cases - expect to pay $2k - $3k just for shipping).

The issue with importing is not the shipping, it is the dog selection. Even with connected friends you are unlikely to get a quality representative w/o going to the breeder and picking up your pup. Of our 4 imported Akita (all from "top" lines and "reputable" breeders and all recommended by respected mutual friends) only one is without health issues (Fuji). So, I personally wouldn't import an Akita w/o meeting the breeder in person - there are too many opportunists out there. Learn from our mistakes, please.

As for breeders in North America, I cannot make that list for you. However, there is a member here (*JackBurton*) who is a member of The Japanese Akita Club of America. I am sure he can help you.

----
  • edited November -1
    @ Leonberger, I saw your Kuma (and Nyx) spam thread. Did you get Nyx with the intention of her being a companion
    for Kuma? After seeing how well they are with each other, I'm very much considering getting a cat as companion for the
    dog as well as for me.

@ Calia, I haven't thought about a hiring a dog walker. Great idea. I have family that could do it (my parents), but I
    don't want to burden them. I don't see an problem if I can alternate between the hired dog walker and my folks though.

Another question, how to go about playing/exercising at night?
    I get off work at 11pm and I'm not home until 11:30~12:00pm. Any suggestions on play safety, such as a
    reflective dog vest, etc?

As I understand it, the dog will eventually get used my daily schedule, correct?

Thanks again
  • edited November -1
    Thanks Brad,

I wouldn't have thought that it would cost that much just for shipping, and that's for puppy right? I'm not positive, but
    aren't prices based on volume/space taken up, so importing an adult dog (larger crate) could be even costlier then? You
    had them shipped from Europe, would the shipping cost be the same if it was within North America?

Hmm, according to Google Maps, its about a 30 hour drive to Taos,NM from my place and my passport will still be valid by summer... I wonder :)
  • edited November -1
    Hi Dave,

International shipping is much more expensive. Shipping within North America is usually around $300, even for large dogs. International shipping usually requires that the animal spend the night at a kennel while in transit (like a stop over), in our case it was always Germany. Also we used a "forwarder" which helped with the logistics of customs, so that added a little extra cost. I have heard of people shipping CO from Russia to the USA for as little as $800, but I dunno the details on that (and I wouldn't ship a dog like that). Also, the current prices for shipping from Russia to USA are in the $3k area, so things may have changed.

We recently shipped a 60lb CO from Cleveland to Denver for $300, that is about the weight of an adult female JA. We paid $250 to ship a Shikoku pup from Vancouver Island to Atlanta and we paid $350 to ship a CC pup from Atlanta to Denver... Point is, I would expect to pay around $300 to ship in North America.

----
  • edited November -1
    I got Kaeda from Ben at JapaneseAkita.org. Although Ben has a waiting list right now he is an excellent resource. The best thing to do is email from his site and then get ready to spend some hours talking on the phone. <--which is exactly what we did last night :) MnV ended up going with a breeder in Mexico, so he might be able to give you some information about him.

Currently the Japanese Akita Club of America is in the process of redoing our website. The new site will be found at www.akita-inu.com and will have the ability for Japanese Akita breeders to have mini-showrooms. These showrooms would have info regarding upcoming breeding, photos, and contact information.

As far as living with an Akita-inu. Well other than the shedding....it was has been quite easy. I work mostly 4-40s, which is four ten hour days. Early on, I would have people come by so Kaeda would not be left alone for more than four hours. As she got older (1 year old now), I increased the time span.

Exercise wise, Kaeda gets two 20min (at the least) walks a day. Most of the time that number is around 30mins and to vary it I either do hiking trails or go on a job.

Like Brad has already stated, you really need to go visit the breeder.

Oh and when it comes down to it Japanese Akita only come in Red, white, and brindle. Every now and then a sesame pops up but 9 times out of 10 thats because on of the parents is not a full JA.
  • edited November -1
    Speaking of dogs in general and not of Japanese Akita in particular, my only concern with leaving your dog from 3pm to 11 pm is that evening or dusk is one of the two times in the day (the other being in the morning) when a dog might be most active, and would be most prone to getting into trouble if left by himself. These periods coincide with hunting times in wild canids, and thus they might be most active then -- in part because the outside temperatures cool down then. I don't know how much exercise an Akita needs -- but it might be wise to tire your youngster out pretty well for the first year or so before 3pm -- and during a hot, humid summer that might be more difficult. It would also depend on whether you are keeping him indoors or outdoors.

Just some other things to consider. The experts in the breed will hopefully help you decide these things.
  • edited November -1
    @JackBurton, thanks, I've visited http://www.japaneseakitas.org before but I wasn't sure that they were offering
    litters as there isn't a typical "puppies/litters" page. I might get in touch with them, though at this point in time it
    will purely be for information gathering. Like montanadoglover said "The experts in the breed will hopefully help you
    decide these things."

Although, every dog is different, from what I gathered the Akita (both the AA and JA) doesn't require "vigorous"
    amounts of exercise. This is just one of the aspects that had drawn me over to the Akita.

@montanadoglover, thanks for your reply. You raised a great point. At some point in a day that the dog might be
    most active/restless, no one could be home. From what I'm finding in houses, all have around a 10000sq-ft backyard
    minimum. From looking at others photos and videos. I plan on making a nice safe area just for the dog. Although, I
    have no intentions on leaving a dog outside all day long. Like previously suggested, for me to hire a dog walker,
    after the walk, the dog could be placed safely in the backyard. It would have shelter(winterized), water, toys and
    nice tall fence to keep him/her safe until I get home.

Any books anyone found helpful?

Thanks
    Dave
  • edited November -1
    My nerdyness cannot be suppressed: I want to share a vocabulary word.
    Animals who are most active at dawn and dusk are "crepuscular."
    :)

-Chrystal: Nature Nerd
  • edited November -1
    @Chrys Can you say "crepuscular" five times fast? ;-)
  • edited December 2009
    @Dave I can, but not in polite company! :)
  • MnVMnV
    edited November -1
    Hey Dave, welcome to the forum.

We are of little experience since we only adopt our little Akita girl since October. However, we are very happy with Aki. She is quiet a character and we love her quirky ways.

I can only speak from my own experience. Akitas are very smart and sensitive. It's amazing how a 5 months old puppy can understand how we feel. She really behaves at times like a little baby girl, which warms our hearts.

Like Jackburton, we walk her at least twice a day, dusk and dawn, for about 20 mins each time. When she has extra energy to be spent, we let her dart around the backyard. Yes, she darts.

I do not agree with people when they pigeonhole Akitas into a kind of breed that are tough to train for obedience or are aloof. It's all depends on the owner and the relationship you build. Limiting a dog based on it's breed is very detrimental IMHO. I wish I did not read too much into the stereotype of a Japanese Akita. I think our relationship will grow even faster without having a biased opinion about the breed.

Case in point, in our obedience class, Aki is the youngest puppy. The instructor who had a lot of experience with dogs expressed to us that she is pleasantly surprised at how well behave and obedient Aki is. She says we are lukcy to have gotten her from a good breeder. We just keep quiet and did not tell her the time we spent working with Aki.

Every evening, when one of us come home, Aki will grab out indoor slipper and run away. She knows how to tease people. She even started dragging our grocery into the kitchen recently. Very fun loving dog.

Good luck with your quest for the perfect dog.
  • edited April 2010
    x
  • edited November -1
    adele can i ask why he shouldn't have an older dog?
    i am a trustee for an akita rescue in the uk we are asked to rehome dozens of dogs every year mostly adults, these dogs are looking for forever homes for many reasons nearly all of them not the dogs fault. when rehomed they give their new owners such a huge amount of love and loyalty. if everyone who wanted an akita bought a puppy then these poor dogs would be pts. they deserve a home just as much as a puppy does.
  • edited November -1
    ditto what venus said. By the same token, it is also possible to get a puppy with inherent qualities you didn't expect to have to work so much on. Adult dogs deserve good families, or at the very least not to have their consideration negatively emphasized with all capital letters on a Forum...Adults may not grow with you, but they certainly will love you and adapt to your life- and in any relationship, adaptation goes both ways. Even dogs with psychological problems can make you very happy and VERY knowledgeable. I wouldnt say go out *looking* for a crazy dog, only not to fear the prospect of adopting an adult.
  • edited November -1
    @Adele - I agree with Wryly and Venus. I've only had 2 puppies out of all of the dogs I've grown up with and the adults dogs that we brought home were definatly my favorites. They all had a few issues to work out but, that was easier than training the puppies for my family. They all showed a lot more love and appreciation for the home they had and the time that I spent with them. Puppies are great if you have the time to train them properly and the lifestyle for it but, older dogs aren't a bad choice either. Its better to get an older dog that fits your lifestyle than a puppy thats not going to get everything it needs because you can't give it. Depending on where you get an older dog you can have a better idea of what the dog is like and know the dogs quirks before you get into the situation. Some rescues even do things like let you keep the dog for one night just to see what it would be like. There are a lot of great Akita rescues in the US too.

@David: 3-11 is kind of a long time. Maybe talk with your family and see if they would consider it a burden, after meeting the dog they might actually like the idea. My brother has to work a lot so he drops his 2 Huskys off at my mom's house or my sister's to have play dates with their dogs while he goes to work. Would anyone you know be open to that? Excercising after midnight outside? If you go for a walk make sure to wear some bright clothing like yellow or white so that cars can see you, bring a flashlight if the street lights where you are, are dim. Helps if you have to pick up some doo doo in the dark and can't see it.