"MY THOUGHTS ON THE AKITA DOG" -By Naoto Kajiwara

Comments

• edited November -1
    Interesting history of the Hozonkai. It's interesting that there was a desire to outcross to western hunting dogs to "improve" the native Japanese dogs. Seems counter what I would have thought would be the case in Japan around that time.
  • edited November -1
    Wow what a good read. It is very similar to the Akita-Inu book published by the JKC. You can really see how the Akita transitioned into what would become the stock for the American Akita. A strong desire to cross with western dogs + the mixing of the GSD during WWII. Thanks Brad.

to dlroberts: That desire to breed with western dogs was happening in the late 1800s as well. People were very involved with dog fighting and during that time a Dutch miner brought a Saint Bernard which was mixed with an Akita.
  • edited November -1
    So sad they were killing them for fur.. But it is not surprising to me. In a few years I would like to find a Jap. Akita to own me. I am not looking for a pup, necessarily, but would like a very social dog.
  • edited November -1
    If any one can ever find a english translation copy, a book called Inubaka has a really good story about this article and how every thing came to be with the how the Japanese breeds became a national treasure. The article mostly talks about the Akita ken hozonkai and how it started. The actual book has 5 different stories (bear dog, pig dog, mountain dog, inubaka, and Akita ken story).

If I ever find a english copy, I will let every one know. Its a must read for any nihon ken owner especially those who see the nihon ken as a hunting dog.
  • edited November -1
    ...inu baka = 犬馬鹿 / 犬ばか?= stupid dog? ~
  • edited November -1
    isn't that a manga title? i remember seeing it one time and wanting to buy it.

Osy: haha, i think it means "Crazy for Dogs" not stupid dog lol :) (at least thats the translation i found)
  • edited November -1
    haha, i just realized that even though they share the same name, the manga and the books Shishiinu talked about are totally different lol :)