Tellington TTouch Rehab for Abused Dogs

edited March 2010 in Behavior & Training
Maymay went in for a proper grooming this morning now that her scabs are healing up nicely. She needed to get washed better and have her previously matted hair looked at. The person who groomed her called me up pretty upset about the number of scabs and scars that she has throughout her body. (Most are covered up by fur.)

I had told the lady that she was a rescue and new to our family, so she wasn't accusing me or anything. She just fell in love with how sweet she is and felt really bad. It upset her to say the least.

She was also calling me to talk about how Maymay responds to people with objects in their hands. She said that she has extremely nervous reactions and this is something that we need to work on. DUH! Anywho, she recommended that we find someone who can teach us some touch training in order to calm her down a bit. She told me to look up this website and that she knew of someone that could help who gives a really good rate for previously abused dogs who have been rescued.

Here's a description from the website:
TTouch - the Tellington TTouch - is a method based on circular movements of the fingers and hands all over the body. The intent of the TTouch is to activate the function of the cells and awaken cellular intelligence - a little like "turning on the electric lights of the body."

The TTouch is done on the entire body, and each circular TTouch is complete within itself. Therefore it is not necessary to understand anatomy to be successful in speeding up the healing of injuries or ailments, or changing undesirable habits or behavior.

The Tellington TTouch is a specialized approach to the care and training of our animal companions. Developed by internationally recognized animal expert, Linda Tellington-Jones, PhD (Hon), this method based on cooperation and respect offers a positive approach to training, can improve performance and health and presents solutions to common behavioral and physical problems. It also helps establish a deeper rapport between humans and animals through increased understanding and more effective communication.

Using a combination of specific touches, lifts, and movement exercises, TTouch helps to release tension and increase body awareness. This allows the animal to be handled without provoking typical fear responses. The animal can then more easily learn new and more appropriate behaviors. By using the TTouch and a variety of other tools, like the Confidence Course, you can assist the animal in experiencing self-confidence in previously frightening situations. Even the most difficult problems are often eliminated. You can also learn how to apply the Tellington TTouch to assist with recovery from illness or injury, or just enhance the quality of your animal's life.

Has anyone heard or used these methods before?

Comments

• edited November -1
    The only time I've heard of it was the last time it came up on the forum.

I wonder if it really works. ~
  • edited November -1
    ha ha ha. Maybe I should have done a search first. Hopefully more people can chime in this time, and Corina can give me a personal update. Thanks Osy!
  • edited November -1
    eh, it's not like the other thread was too helpful, but thought I'd pass it along anyway. :) [ I could've sworn I heard it mentioned on the forum more... ]

Hopefully, you get more feedback this time! ~
  • edited November -1
    I know Chrystal has at least read about it, and I believe I saw an article in Whole Dog Journal and maybe American Dog about it too.
  • edited November -1
    Found another thread on it. :) ~
  • edited March 2010
    I've read about in WDJ too, and found the book about it at a thrift store recently, but haven't tried it yet. I'm going to take another look at the book, though, because I'm thinking that it might be something good to do with my GSD who's hips are so bad right now. I don't know that it will necessarily make him feel better physically, but I think the contact would be good for him, nonetheless, and will give us something to do together that doesn't require him to move much.

eta: thanks for the link to the other thread too...interesting to hear experiences with it.
  • edited March 2010
    I saw the lady in person, years ago, back east. An audience full of animal communicators, aroma therapy, Reichi folks or whatever it's called. But I tried to keep as open a mind as possible. Linda Tellington-Jones was a master at reading animals, and could calm down the wildest, but I'm not sure many other kinds of just plain massage wouldn't do the same thing. I just could not buy the little fingertip touches here, the spiral touches there, the alligator this and the bear touch that.

Certainly massage is useful; you'd do better to buy a book or DVD on canine massage to help relax the dog, but I personally wouldn't spend more than a passing glance out of curiosity to TTouch. I'm just too grounded in the scientific real world to take anything like this seriously. Just my not so humble opinion.