livestock

JAs where bred to be hunting and fighting dogs back in the day. I might have livestock such as chickens, ducks, goats, sheep, lamas, and/or cows when I'm older. is a JA gonna view these animals as prey and pounce on them?? if so is it possible to suppress this instinct with proper training?

Comments

• edited November -1
    Well this is just imo but regardless of how much training my dog(s) gets, s/he'll never have access to my chickens and ducks (that I'll hopefully have someday). I might trust my dog(s) enough to have a duck in my lap with the dog sitting next to me but a flock of ducks doing what ducks do? Yeah..the temptation there is just too great.
  • edited November -1
    That sounds like a recipe for disaster. I wouldn't set a dog (like the Akita) up to fail like that. You should probably consider an LGD not a hunting breed.
  • aykayk
    edited April 2010
    Best to have the livestock first and then introduce a pup. It's like introducing a new dog to a family cat except there are less escape routes for the livestock. Once in a while you get lucky, but most other times you need to install a hotwire fence.

Here's an oldie pic of an Akita with ducklings/chicks, showing that there is some hope for interspecies harmony.
  • edited November -1
    thanks for the comments. inspiring pictures too, haha.