Shikoku shedding again....

edited February 2010 in Shikoku Ken (四国犬)
Well....Kekko is on the middle of his first real shedding....huhh. I have read the topics about the shikoku shedding heavily before, but pictures are not seen on the old topics - so I wanted to ask again, is this really normal??? I could not imagine its that bad. I mean he looses ALL his undercoat and there is only some really rough guard hair still on him - looks really horrible. You can almost see his skin, he looks like a sick dog. None of my huskies shed like that....although they do shed a lot of hair, but never be that naked. Kekko still has coat on the back and sides on some places....this makes it look even worse.
I brush him every day to make the coat change faster, but on some places it just won't come off :)) How long it usually takes to get new coat on?

Comments

• edited November -1
    Hey Tina,
    Shousei is shedding his coat too, but it looks pretty even, besides some little spots. Now he's looking very skinny, but we cannot see his skin at any spot. Just missing the volume and softness. Is your snow gone? Otherwise Kekko would be pretty cold outside. Reno&Rico almost never shed all their hair, Reno more than Rico. Reno takes months to loose all, Rico does it in one month, but so much is coming out by then. Now, with the third one involved we will have an even longer period of loose hair all around us. I will try to take a photo of Shousei so you can compare with Kekko. Maybe you can post one too of him.
  • edited November -1
    Hi Nico,
    I think Shousei is still probably changing the puppy coat, so this might not be the real shedding yet. At least Kekko changed puppy coat with no massive shedding. And thats the funny thing, we have loads of snow and cold still, so I'm keeping Kekko in the house, as he is so naked. Strange he started to loose the coat like that almost in the middle of the cold winter. But they seem to have their internal clocks for that, one of my huskies starts shedding only in the end of July...until then he is all packed with his massive winter coat :) I will try to make a picture of Kekko to show how naked he really is.
  • edited November -1
    Miko is blowing her coat right. She just started and it will get really bad in about another a week. At the height of it she looks pathetic and mangy, my house (despite multiple vacuumings a day) will look like tumbleweeds are blowing through, and all the lint rollers in the world will not prevent me from looking like I am wearing an angora body suit. Ah Shikoku...the glamorous life. :P
  • edited November -1
    Koshi has just started also. With the two shibas, we've been blowing coats for two + months now, just when we thought it was over .....Koshi's turn! Stina, having shibas I can tell you that what you are experiencing with Kekko sounds 100% normal.Welcome to the pack!!:)
  • edited November -1
    Okay, so we can expect more hair from Shousei in the future. Yes, I guess this is only the puppy hair. One brush a day is all. When Reno is shedding, it could be 10 or more a day. Hard to believe where it is coming from.
  • edited November -1
    I have heard that a warm bath will help the shedding move along, but part of me would be worried about clogging the drain! 0_0
  • edited November -1
    He is shedding all his puppy coat and will grow a full adult coat.
    It may also be known as "Puppy Uglies", since, well, you know why! lol
    I found a picture of a shikoku youngster either beginnning this process, or ending it. either way, you can tell, by his rear end.
    found it on a shikoku breeders website, in Holland.
  • edited November -1
    This is a picture of Kekko about 4 months old :D. And he was then pretty naked.
  • edited November -1
    Even naked he looks great, his tail looks a little scrawny though :) How old is he now??
  • edited November -1
    Kekko is now 16 months and I'll add a picture just to compare :)
  • edited November -1
    Kekko is stunning in this shot,what a difference :)
  • edited November -1
    Thanks David, hard to believe its the same dog ah :)
  • edited November -1
    LOL yeah Kekko looks amazing in that one picture almost like a different dog!