Normal litter size for NK?

edited October 2010 in General
Hi all,
I was wondering what the normal litter size is for each NK breed?

I'm especially interested in kai and akita, but could be fun to compare alle the NK :)

Comments

• hmmm Kais can be 2-5 pups.
  • Yeah, NK are known to have small litters. I think 3 is the average across the shikas, and perhaps one or two more for Akita? I'm not sure about them though.
  • I've actually heard of akitas having larger litters. Like around 8-10 puppies
  • Last time I spoke with Marian at Classy Kennels, one of her Kai had a litter of 5.
    One of them did not survive.
  • my friends akita inu bitch recently had 11 pups but 1 died, and most of the inu bitches here in the uk seem to have between 4 and 10 pups although 6-8 seems about normal from whats i've heard.
  • Koda's mom and dad usually make five pups with one breeding

I believe Marian breeds her females twice during their heat to try and get five pups.
  • Hey TJ,

I spoke to Marian today and we did not discuss that detail, (the breeding of twice during heat).
    She did say she witnessed Tar-Tar and Taka mate on Oct 15. So in about a month we'll know for sure if her 2nd litter of the year is on the way. If all goes well, delivery date is Dec 15. One of the pups from this litter we'll be ours and we'll have him Feb 15. It will be a year wait by then, but well worth it !!!!
  • @WildSolo
    Hey Al, I hope you get your christmas puppy. I am waiting myself, though it's my own fault since I want an akatora ;)
    Maybe we'll both have kai pups around the same time ;D

My fingers are crossed for you!
  • Shibas have on average 2-4 pups.
  • Thanks Tanja.
    I was hoping to have the puppy home for Christmas.
    Marian will be sending pictures after the puppy is born on approx of Dec. 15.
    I'll take a picture, print it and put it in the frame, wrap it as a present and have my boys open it on Christmas.
  • Do you have pictures of Tar-Tar and Taka that you could share here?
  • Taro's mama had 7 pups! Thats a big litter size for a Kishu, an unsusual one at that.
  • edited November 2010
    I grabbed this picture of Taka from the Classy Kennel website

http://i509.photobucket.com/albums/s333/WildSolo/Taka.jpg
    They don't seem to have a picture of Tar-Tar posted.
  • edited November 2010
    Koda looks identical to Taka. It always amazes me. Even down to the white spot and golden blond on Taka's neck. It's like looking at Koda right now. I miss my lil man while I'm at work. lol

I'm really excited for you. Tar Tar and Taka are nice looking dogs. I'm sure Marian will have success in their breeding.