Our Kai Ken from Sai No Kuni Inoue Sou (Kennel)

Took some pics of our Kai Ken from Sai No Kuni Inoue Sou. Inoue-san (owner of the kennel) requested some updated pics, so we took Ayu, Haru, and Ritsu to Santa Fe with us yesterday and got some nice pics...

Ritsu...
Ritsu

Ritsu

Ritsu

Ayu...
Ayu

Ayu

Ayu

Haru...
Haru

Haru

And here is one of Jen with the pups...
Jen, Haru, Ritsu, and Ayu in Santa Fe

And me with the pups...
Me, Ritsu, Ayu, and Haru in Santa Fe

I'm very very pleased with our pups from Inoue-san, they have great temperaments, lots of usable drive, and are gorgeous examples of the breed. We couldn't be happier. And you couldn't pick a nicer family to import pups from, the Inoue family was a real treat to meet and spend time with when I was there (Japan) visiting with Shigeru.

----

Comments

• They are all so beautiful!
  • Beautiful!!! Very nice :) *Jealous*
  • You can really see Ritsu's red in the third photo.

Ayu really takes after her mother more than Haru.

Haru looks like she still remembers how to stack KKA style. :-)
  • You all look great!!!! I love it when breeders ask for updates. Now if you could just get someone to take a pic of all of you together. ;-)
  • Great pictures of the three.

I love Ritsu and Ayu. =)
  • Great pictures of all of them! Ritsu is looking great! (as are Ayu & Haru)
  • Thanks all! :o)

It's really hard to get pictures that show the Kai's true color. Ayu always ends up looking less red, Haru looks washed out, and Ritsu looks almost all black. The NM sun is just really intense, especially at our elevation. I guess you all will just have to come an meet them in person. :o)

I really like Haru's chest in her second pic, she look tough. lol

You guys have no idea how many shots it took to get that one with Jen, Ayu was bouncing all over the place. She was loving the rocks. lol

----
  • Ayu does really take after her mom, Ann. I agree.

Ritsu has Eishin and Riki (Haru's dad) in him, and I think you can kinda see a little of both of them coming through.

----
  • Yeah I can definitely see Mako more in Ayu than in Haru. It is very hard to get the true color of the Kai in pictures! Especially with Nio! Can't really see his brindle well in pictures, but from meeting him in person I remember being able to see it very clearly. Ayu of course is so much more gorgeous than she was back in January! I haven't met Haru yet, but you say Kyuubi is just like her from when she was a pup, I'll just pretend I have ;)

Great pics! I always enjoy seeing pics of your Kai! :]
  • I love seeing all your pics eventhough the make me feel like such a slacker in my photo quests with Kaiya :)

Ayu looks so tall! Are the photos deceiving, or is she a tall girl?
  • @brittk - Ayu is a nice size, not super tall relative to our other Kai. She's shorter than Kona and Ritsu, about the same height as Haru, and taller than Akashi, Kumi and Nio. Jen is short, she's 5', so that may make them look taller.

----
  • maybe thats it. They are all gorgeous!
  • @brada1878 what kennel is Nio from? Chibi is from the same lines as Nio correct?
  • Like I said on FB, feel free to send Ayu to us :P We love her.
  • The pics turned out really nice! You guys do have a great bunch of Kai :o)
  • edited June 2011
    @jujee - Nio is from Kaiken Sagami Sou. Chibi is line-bred off a male named Kishin who is also Nio's sire. So, Nio's sire is Chibi's great-grand-sire on both sides of her pedigree (twice on her dam's side).

--

Interesting bits about Ritsu..
    - He shares a sire with Ayu & Tora (Haruna No Eishin)
    - His great-grandfather on his mother's and grandmother's side is Tyson's sire (Tone No Isshin).
    - His grandfather on his mother's side is Haru's father (Nanyou No Rikiou)

So Ritsu kinda acts like an anchor in our program for Ayu, Tora, Haru, Taka, and Tyson.

----
  • Ayu is so pretty! And Ritsu is just adorable with his big boy ears. Of course I love Haru - gotta love Sosuke's baby mommy.
  • they are all beautiful dogs.

In your breeding program, what is the goal COI?
    Is there a benefit to line breeding since the breed is so rare?
  • edited June 2011
    @tsukitsune - I want to answer your question as clearly as possible without writing a huge post, but I do need to give some upfront info before I get to your specific questions. So please bare with me...

Keep in mind the Kai Ken, being a rare breed, has a small closed gene pool (in NA and Japan). For Jen and I and our efforts with the Kai Ken we have one primary goal and one secondary goal.

Our primary goal is preserving the Kai Ken breed in North America. Increased diversity is most certainly one part (the most important part) of that preservation effort. Strictly speaking, importing related dogs is not optimal for diversification. Obviously if each of our imports were out-crossed from each other (and from the NA population) we would have greater diversity to inject into the current North American Kai Ken population. We fully admit and understand that, but we have to work within the limitations of our resources and, as I'll discuss later, importing from a known semi-related population allows for better odds (and therefore an increase in quality).

However, having written that, one should keep in mind that while some of our imports might be closely related they are still less-closely related to the current North American population. For example, while Ayu and Ritsu might share a rather close ancestry (within 2 to 3 generations of their pedigree), from our research they are at least 6+ generations removed from the current North American population (4+ generation on their side and 2+ generation on the NA population's side) with some of the ancestry being much less related than that (I'd love to say not related at all, but that's just not really possible in such a rare dog breed like the Kai Ken - or across the NK as a group).

From our experience with importing different dog breeds (for breeding) from different areas we have come to believe that one has about a 1 in 5 success rate. Meaning 1 in 5 imports will be "breeding quality" (no major health concerns, good temperament, and structurally acceptable). That margin of error can be reduced by importing from known bloodlines (kennels), which is what we have done with our initial preservation effort. Having some related dogs, who are related via proven healthy relatives, decreases the risk of importing a Kai Ken that doesn't fit our preservation standards (and therefore is not useable). So, the closeness of the initial preservation stock has allowed us to have more success (like 1 in 3) and bring in better quality Kai Ken.

Moving forward we are working to import even further removed less-related Kai Ken than we already have in Kumi, Nio, Akashi, and Chibi (who are our "out-crosses"). Our future importing efforts will focus more on less-related more obscure Kai Ken. Expect it to happen less frequently and with smaller numbers but with significantly more effort. This has been our plan from the start.

--

Our secondary goal is to be a respected (in Japan and in NA) KKA-registered kennel located in North America with a successful breeding program that produces healthy and temperamentally-sound Kai Ken that fit within the KKA standard and meets or exceeds our expectations of the breed. Our interpretation of the breed and the KKA standard is pulled from our growing knowledge which comprises what we have learned (and continue to learn) from our KKA contacts in Japan and our hands-on ownership and mating of our imports.

We have no aspirations to show our Kai Ken, tho we would love to place some of our puppies in homes who want to show. Our disinterest in showing our Kai Ken has little to do with our personal opinion of dog shows (we do feel that showing dogs adds value to a breed), instead it is due to the restraints the show competition places on a breeding program. Those restraints are counter productive to our primary goal (see above) - it promotes an ever shrinking gene pool in a small closed population like the Kai Ken. By not partaking in dog shows and competing for titles we escape the need to use champion studs in our program (which is the main thing that shrinks diversity in a dog breed). Also, by not having champions we can have a less-biased preservation catalog, so kennels looking to use our preservation stock to diversify their program will not be pushed to use (our) studs with fancy titles in their name.

--

So, to answer your questions (finally)...

In your breeding program, what is the goal COI?
    >> Our goal for COI would be "as low as possible". If I'm forced to give a number I'd say under 6%, but I'm honestly not sure that's possible right now. We are currently looking at our prospective matings and calculating COIs to see where we stand.

Is there a benefit to line breeding since the breed is so rare?
    >> I don't think the rareness of the breed plays any role in the "benefits" associated with line-breeding. Typically line breeding is used to maintain (and produce consistently) "type" in a breeding program. That same concept applies to rare breeds and less-rare breeds. Personally, I would prefer to line-breed less at the risk of producing inconsistent "type" than to line-breed more at the risk of inbreeding depression.

Having written that, since we are dealing with imports, it is nice to have some consistency in "type" initially (among our foundation) as that helps to lower the risk of introducing health or temperament issues to the NA gene pool.

--

As you can see, what we are attempting to accomplish here is a lot and is very complex. There are other elements that make it even more complex but I think I've probably bored you guys enough with the details.

----
  • This isn't boring to me. :-) How many generations are you calculating the COI out to? Five?

• Definitely not boring, in fact, I love reading this type of stuff!
  • @ayk - Yes, 5, but we would like to have more. I'm between (work) projects right now so I have a little extra time and I've been working on the pedigree DB app. I've actually made some nice progress and I hope that, with Shig's help, we will be able to calculate a deeper COI once the app is complete. It would be great to be able document 4 generations of ancestors of the first NA imports, that may be tough tho.

----
  • Super interesting, thank you for taking the time for detail and clarity.

See - and this is why I ask - there is so much that I don't understand about truly responsible breeding... there are no black and whites. Even though I have been 'in dogs' all my life, I still don't know what I don' t know. I bet people can think that they can just import two rare breeds and hope to breed them without really considering the rate of success and how to cope with the chances of not being successful despite the investment.
    Props on the commitment to these dogs, I guess that was something I didn't really appreciate before on my first round on these forums.
    We don't really see behind the scenes - all the planning and work and partnerships and hardships and success and disappointment.
    I can't even fathom how much money is spent to produce even one litter - let alone establish a program.

I don't really have a mental grasp on COIs - the biological side is scary to me in that inbreeding is just never a good outcome, be it immediately or a few generations later. And forget the mathematical side (calling dr. dave!) that will never translate in my head.
    Like you said, in some common breeds like border collies and labs there are freakishly high COIs to keep types consistent, I guess I assumed rare breeds would be similar because of closed gene pool. But 6% while higher than 0% is significantly less than some dogs I've read about (popular sire effect!).

Anyway, I don't want to take away from this thread but while admiring these dogs you worked so hard for and that Sai no Kuni Inoue Sou should be proud of - I wanted to understand their purpose and pedigree and how it translates to preservation. Thanks for educating us :)
  • When I was initially googling about the Kai ken, I noticed that Yamanashi Prefecture has a large population of Brazilians and vise versa, so I googled Kai ken in Brazil, but found nothing. I was curious if there were a group of kai ken genetically diverse from the small population in Japan and US, but I guess not.
  • Lovely photos! They all look great (but Ritsu still is my favourite cause he reminds my Nuuk :D).
  • Great pics, I can imagine it must have taken quite an amount of pictures to get the right ones ;)

They are gorgeous!
  • They are all looking great. I love Ritsu.
  • Juno looks a bit like her Auntie Ayu.
  • Brad, I liked very much your explanation !!! It was very interesting !!