United Airlines changing its pet policy, pets only sent as cargo - huge fees!

edited February 2012 in General
http://gma.yahoo.com/blogs/abc-blogs/united-airlines-policy-change-could-cost-pet-owners-164309658--abc-news.html

My mom is on the phone with them now to "get the skinny" on this policy change. If it goes into effect, just 16 days before our return flight with two teenage Akitas (5 months and 8 months old), it could cost us $4,000+.

I can't find anything about it on their website: http://www.united.com/page/article/0,6867,51255,00.html and http://www.united.com/page/article/1,,53410,00.html

However, on the Fees page is a link to Continental Airlines pet policies: https://www.continental.com/web/en-us/content/travel/animals/default.aspx

*** Our program is called PetSafe®. Under this program, Continental does not accept pets as checked baggage. ***

Comments

• Continental has had this policy for a while now, and with the United/Continental merger (?) United is following Continental's policy. It becomes MUCH more expensive, and regulations in Japan force you to use a shipping agent. Of course that means it ends up costing the same amount as shipping your pup as cargo. I was alerted to this change by a friend, and while it sucks, I guess it just means people picking up dogs should choose other airlines if they're worried about costs.

• Right, what really sucks though is that -- from that article -- military personnel don't have that option. United/Continental has the government contract to fly them to and from their bases (with or without their pets).

Jesse
  • I think American and Delta are still safe.
  • @ Poeticdragon wow, that stinks.
  • edited February 2012
    We're going to try to switch to American. Amazingly, a round trip ticket (even this close to my flight) is only $50 more than with United, but the pet fee is $75 less than United's old policy. Unfortunately, United may be asshats about refunding my ticket, and there may be an additional $200 fee for the cancellation. Total out of pocket to go with American instead, in the worst case scenario, is about $1,050. That's still a third of what United quoted us on the phone an hour or so ago. (Best case scenario, we save $100! LOL)

We booked our reservations through Travelocity, which turns out to be a very good thing. Our agent agrees that this extortion is probably not legally able to affect current ticket holders and is going to fight for us. We're probably still switching to American, though, because Travelocity wont come through for us until Tuesday and I don't want to risk waiting that long.
  • @CrimsonO2 - My understanding is that they're only contractually required to fly United when doing so on the government's dime, and when that is the case, the government pays for the entire thing - pets and all. That's what one soldier posted on United's facebook page. I don't know the truth of it, and maybe that only applies to some situations (eg. a forced move vs. an "optional" one).
  • For us military serving here in Japan we dont really have an option but to go with the UA/Continental policy. Our airline tickets are issued to us whichever the gov't can save more money from. Unfortunately our pets arent considered our (family)dependents therefore the US govt will not pay for their move. We are trying to petition to UA/Continental to give us a cheaper alternative if not everybody who owns a pet will kill each other to fly military air. LOL
  • Back in the 70s, my parents were stationed in Germany and were flying back to the states. They bought their cat a plane ticket; she had her own seat.

Not that this story makes you feel any better, I just wish it was this easy to fly animals still. Keep us posted on how all this goes!
  • Claire I signed the petition.
  • Thanks for signing the petition guys. Military families here in Okinawa are rallying everyone to sign this and reaching to our congressmen for support. I dont leave Okinawa till 2014 but Im already dreading our day of departure.
  • @poeticdragon
    As you already bought the ticket before the change, it wouldn't be more then "common sense" that you wouldn't have to pay extra. But of course Big Industries and common sense don't often go together :( , they rather stick to regulations instead of being a bit more customer friendly.

@ rohn_cizar
    We wouldn't mind signing that petition as well, could you let us know where to find it?

Sandra
  • Due to a huge number of complaints, United is going to honor the old fee rate for current ticket holders who ask for it. You may have to specifically call them up in order to get it in writing, or else have problems at the check in counter.

I don't think the policy has been rescinded completely for future reservations, so try to fly American instead if you have a choice.