supplements

edited May 2012 in General
I would like to hear opinions of feeding supplements to your dog. I had some good experiences with adding glucosemine to my dog when he got older, but I hear the adding of vitamine C has some postive and negative things. Anyone on the board has or had some experiences with adding all kinds of supplements?

Comments

• Vitamin C might be useful but dogs produce it themselves. Humans don't anymore produce this. You can see it because for collagen production, vitamin C is essential. That's why the skin of people ages, but not (or hardly) from most animals. Fish oil can be useful, since most of the dog food isn't the best. I used lots of supplements for joint health, since our huskies meanwhile are 14 years old. Also, one of them had a huge tumor, last year. He lost weight very fast. The vet found one of his kidneys was completely changed in a tumor, size of a grapefruit. After supplementing with specific immune enhancing supplements the tumor disappeared (or became silenced) and he gained back his bodyweight (around 16 lbs).
  • I give Saya a GNC joint tablet which has Glucosamine hydrochloride, condrotine sulfate, ascorbic acid source of vitamin C, zinc, vitamin E, Methylsulfonymethane=MSM..

I just got one more tablet of that joint supplement and after that I'm trying different one that has MSM, Glucosamine HCL, Chondrotine sulfate, Ascorbic acid. it's called joint health the company is called springtime.

I also started giving her green lipped mussel supplement and I just ordered elk velvet antler supplement to try.
    http://www.natraflex.com/superflex.html

Salmon oil is good to add I did when Saya ate kibble and was new to raw.

I know some who use ester C as vitamin C. I dunno if it's good to give or not.. I feed beef sweetbreads which is a organ that has vitamin C in it according to it's nutrition info.. So Saya does get vitamin C that way.. her serving of it is 2.24oz or so of it and about 32% vitamin C or something like that.

I don't think vitamin C is needed, but I don't know really. Saya seems do fine.

She gets raw smelt, mackerel, pacific saury, and caned salmon, sardines, and mackerel. So I don't give her salmon oil anymore I feel she gets enough.

I do give her coconut oil every so often not daily, but she loves it and I read it's good for dogs. She gets half table spoon and soon a full table spoon. When a dog is starting coconut oil introduce it slowly or it might give loose poop.

I try to give natural sources of condrotine and glucosamine like chicken feet, beef gullet, dehydrated trachea, tendons and soon raw beef trachea.

joint tablet and green lipped and soon elk velvet tablets and once in while coconut oil is only thing I give to her routinely..

Supplements coarse depends on the dog, age and so on.

• For my two dogs who eat kibble, they get fresh foods almost daily. Usually an egg, or maybe a bit of leftover oatmeal or pancakes, or some meat. Not really a supplement though.
    The dude who eats homemade food gets all sorts of stuff. Salmon oil and vitamin E (omegas can deplete E, so I add some of that in to compensate), and occasionally things like pre/probiotics when he gets digestive upset. He's got knee issues (very mild) and on occasion gets a glucosamine/chondroitin/msm supplement but I will probably be switching that to green-lipped mussel instead.
    One thing I used, a kelp thing, that supposedly helps get rid of gunk on teeth was PlaqueOff. It did work, but I would only use it with dogs who have nasty on their teeth.
  • Green lipped mossel, isn't that for skin allergies? I life near the ocean, so it's not hard for me to get all kinds of fresh fish to add, like mackerel, herring, or eel fat. When the eel gets smoked and the skin has been taken off, the fishermen save the fat for me. And sometimes I add seaweed or sheep fat to their meals. Glucosemine I add to my older dog, I had some good experiences with that when my old Rott had some arthrosis problems. I don't like multivitamine tablets, because you will never know what's really in it.

Photobucket

Photobucket
  • I love those pictures.

Green lipped mussels supposed to help with joints atleast what the supplement I got says. hare today site has it and says it's good for joints.

Saya been on it for 5 days now and I think it has helped she's bit more energetic, and jumps bit higher then she used to.

Yesterday she met our neighbor's two boxers and she behaved well and even wanted to play.

I agree I'm not fan of multivitamins either.

Saya gets good bit of her nutrition from her food it's fresh and some is grass fed and free ranged too.

Your lucky you can get herring! Saya would love that fish.. She gets smelt, Pacific saury, mackerel, and caned salmon for fish which she loves.

I try to give her nutrients from natural sources. Since my beef gullet is out and needs be reordered I been giving joint tablets.