My other hobby is..

edited April 2008 in General

We all know how much time is spent on our family, both non and furkids alike, but what else do you all do?

I'm an indoor gardener. To date, I have a 6 yr old orchid that hasn't bloomed in 4 years, a christmas cactus that finally bloomed for the first time in 3 years this year, 2 venus fly traps, one pitcher plant, one orange plant that i hijacked from a funeral, a peace lily, bamboo, 3 cacti and an herb garden of thyme, lemon balm, catnip, chamomile, lavendar and mint.

Experience my happy place (starring the 'movin on up' Kobe):

Comments

• edited November -1
    Mine is sleeping!
  • edited November -1
    Photography & Scrapbooking
  • edited November -1
    LOL Rachael!

Jen: I love the snow white. That fits right in. :-P

As a graduate student, I don't have as much time for my hobbies as I used to. The one I still do pursue somewhat regularly is cooking. I love a gourmet meal, especially when I get to direct people around the kitchen. I used to be a golf junkie, but my wallet is a bit to thin to support that habit at the level I used to pursue it. Same with cars. I still enjoy hiking though somehow I've only been managing to go a few times a year while living in GA.
  • edited November -1
    I like photography too, I'm trying to get new and better tools so I can try out some new stuff.
  • edited November -1

I tend to read a lot in my spare time, mostly good fantasy, horror, thriller, action.  I like David Gemmel, James Barclay, Markus Weitz, Bernard Hennen, Dean Koontz, Stephen King, Clive Cussler and so many more.  I also like graphic novels and the graphics/drawings of Luis Royo with occasionally trying to copy his images,  not always succeeding.

Now that i have Yaksha i'm enjoying the walks also and looking forward to try some hiking when he's older.

• edited November -1

Hi Jen,

I love your little garden.  Such a fun private corner of magic and delight.  I think somehow we are going to have to try to find you a starter piece of Epiphyllum.  It is related to the christmas cactus but blooms really huge flowers. 

Check out this page from Pat's Epi's. http://www.epies.net/ 

I just love instigating things. 

My current hobbies are gardening, taking care of my chickens, rabbits, and lovebirds, and I make handmade aluminum/paper roses. 

aluminum roses

Again, I do think your little garden is incredible; and I love that cabinet.

Thank you for sharing, Ron

• edited November -1

Those Roses are really cool! Nice work Ron!

I Snowboard, Hike, Camp, and drive fast.

• edited April 2008

Photography, cooking.  That's probably it, the two of them together cost me enough.

Also - Lemon Balm - was named herb of the year by Whole Dog Journal last year.  I don't have the article handy, but apparently it has many healthful medicinal purpouses.

• edited November -1

Brandon - really?? I'll have to research that - I just grow herbs I can put in teas or on fish dishes..

Ron - I would LOVE Epiphyllum! It looks gorgeous! And the flowers are all so different! maybe i'll buy one off ebay! i used to sell Orchids on ebay but now i'm only down to one Spider Dendrobium myself.

You did instigate!

• edited November -1
    Dave is right about bossing others around in the kitchen...!
  • edited November -1
    I garden and ride and breed Hanoverian horses. Pretty much that takes up all of my time outside of work (and the dog gets to come along too frequently). Luckily everything is at home and I don't have to drive anywhere to do my hobby.
  • edited November -1

I thought of showing some pics I've taken

imageimage 

• RyuRyu
    edited November -1
    I like to redecorate our house every couple of months (much to Tim's dispair) and create personalized stationary (notecards, handmade greeting cards, etc.)
  • edited November -1
    Oh wow Rui, those are great! I can honestly say I don't have a favorite, I like them all!

I thought you didn't have a camera?
  • edited November -1
    i love them, Rui!!
  • edited November -1
    Thank you guys!

Dave - I have a camera, I don't have a SLR, a have small pocket camera.
  • edited November -1
    Rui - love those shots, maybe I'll post some of my landscapes later.
  • edited April 2008

You're probably not giving your orchid enough of a temp drop to help it bloom...assuming it's a Phal or Den.

I collect orchids. LOVE them. I have problems with Phals, but I'm good with the Oncidium Alliance. I also read, cook, workout, scuba dive, turn wood, I like to keep busy.

edit: I also LOVE the opera and broadway/off broadway/off off broadway plays and dancing. I LOVE to dance.  

• edited April 2008

oh, I forgot (because I have not been in 3 years) I dive too... I have been certified since I was 13. I surf too, but it has been a long time since I've done that as well.

---

Rui - Those pics are great! I think I like the third the best.

Pam - Do you have examples of your stationary?

• edited April 2008
    Here's a few of my favorite photos that I've taken.
  • edited November -1
    Wow LJ. Those are great! :-) I think I like the first and fourth the best...probably the fourth most of all! Very impressive.
  • edited April 2008

Thanks, Dave.  I prefer landscapes - they don't move like these fast little shibas - I shot film when I went to the Grand Canyon - took two cameras - one loaded with black and white, one with color.  I shot twenty-eight rolls during my four days - that's one of the reasons I love digital.   

The first one is in the Nantahala National Forest - I took this during a wildlife photography class my freshman year of college -1991

The fourth one was on a church building trip - this beautiful field was right beside the church we were building.  I took about a hundred photos of this field - some from the rooftop of the church.  The camera I was using had such a tiny screen, I wanted to make sure I got the shot - 2006

• edited November -1
    Great photos LJ! Maybe we should start a photographic thread so the photo enthusiasts can post some pics, eh?
  • edited November -1
    That's a pretty good idea.  I guess Off-Topic would be the best, huh?
  • RyuRyu
    edited November -1
    such beautiful photos! Seems like we have some talented folks on here!

Brad: I have a ton of examples but I'll have to take some photos of them. One day I hope to make a living (albeit a small living) by selling them but haven't had the time or resources to put into them... maybe when we get to MO! :)
  • edited November -1
    Ryu - I was just looking at personalized stationary and cards on Etsy.com - sell them on there - you'd make a killing!!
  • RyuRyu
    edited November -1
    good idea! I'll definitely look into it! :)
  • edited November -1
    Ron - I LOVE those paper roses!  How/Where did you learn to do that?

Rui - I love that first pic you posted with the lake.
  • edited April 2008
    i do a little of photography to ^_^.....
  • edited November -1
    Ivan: 
    The picture in Peru is just gorgeous! Where was that exactly? 
    Also, I really like the first one of the wrecked car. There's something somewhat poetic about it.