New Here with a 3 year old Shiba and have some concerns. Please Help.

2»

Comments

• edited November -1

do you have a furminator for his shedding??

I'll never EVER use anything else on my shibas, truly it is one of the few products out there that actually works and has results like they show in the ads!! Plus I got mine packaged with a spray on shampoo that really helps with dander and every day dirty.

and the health scares - they are a general list for any dog who have the nuts! There is a similar list of potential harms for females too. I never intended on showing or breeding and neutered when they were healthy enough to do it. There is no difference in behavior or demeanor or temperment, they seem happier to not have to be in heat (female) and subsequently the male doesn't have to experience a female in heat, they can just be happy, normal housepets! I considered pros and cons, and decided the best thing was to alter them.

They also say it improves the longevity of their life, but I don't buy that one, my mothers dog has never been spayed (luckily has never run away and got knocked up either) and she is 12 years old. Unfortunately though, she has a benign tumor on her ovary - which of course could not have happen had she been spayed.

You will be an expert! I'm feeling like since I joined this forum - there is so many things I can't believe I DIDN'T know before!!

• edited November -1

Sorry Luis that I called you Lucy..Yell

• edited November -1
    Thanks tsukitsune for the info I''ll look into the furminator. Where can I get it? Online or store?

DDow I didn't notice I thought you were focusing the question to someone else here, but I did read it
    thanks.

I really don't want anything to happen with Bubba-licious so I might end up doing it...just gave the gov
    some money I had saved so I will have to wait for my next vet visit.

I appreciate your thoughts guys and gals...I trully feel you guys love your pets as much as I do love Bubba.
    (teary eyed...it's all this hair...making me tear up I swear) :)
  • edited April 2008

I just bought my furminator at omahavaccine.com - I did a little bit of price comparison (at the same sites I did for meds & preventatives) - here's what I found:

1800petmed.com          med     $   49.99

drsfostersmith.com        med    $   49.99

drsfostersmith.com        sm      $   34.99

entirelypets.com           med     $   29.99

medi-vet.com               med      $   43.89

medi-vet.com               sm       $   31.89

OMAHAVACCINE.COM  med   $   29.97

OMAHAVACCINE.COM   sm    $   20.95

petmed.com                   med    $   48.95

petmed.com                   sm      $   37.95

petshed.com                  med    $   38.50

petshed.com                   sm     $   26.95

It's definitely cheaper online, just watch your s&h.

• edited November -1
    Great I'll look at these sites for those things.
  • edited November -1
    i got mine at a local petstore, a small, on a sale special for $29.99 and it came with the shampoo. You only need a small one for a shiba.
  • edited November -1
    I'll check it out.
    FYI: Updated my profile.
  • edited November -1
    do you make a good living as an illustrator in Miami??? My husband has a BFA in Illustration and there is NO work where we live!
  • edited November -1
    All my work is out of state. Mostly New York.
    You have to send samples to companies you want to work for and
    wait. You also can get a rep. I thought about it and I might
    but I'm going to try out the gallery scene again.
    As an illustrator you usually have to be freelancing and that's tough
    but you have to love what you do. I worked freelance for 5 years now.
    In between I worked for 1 year at a company but I hated it.
    But I also made alot of money when I had a job and did
    it on the side. So that is good but less time to to anything else.
    Atleast now I schedule myself though you have to be disciplined.

At the moment I am making money from fans of Garbage Pail Kids
    that I do stuff for and art buyers.

Does he have a site where I can see his work? What school did he go to?
  • edited November -1

he got his bfa from marywood university. i work there now so in october he is eligible to go back for his MFA for free! yay!

he has a myspace page and is working on his own domain between jobs

http://www.myspace.com/makeshiftgallery

your work is incredible! very profound.  

• edited November -1
    thnx! That's amazing for him.
    Wish I could do that.

I want to get my MFA so I can teach college level in about 5-10 years from now.
    Hopefully I can get something happening in the gallery world.

Cool stuff. I like the "Amazing what we throw away" Great concept.
  • edited November -1

I got my Furminator Small at the pet store I work at, so I paid a lot cheaper than most people. nn; I get the book price.

I'm going for my BFA in Communication Design/Illustration! Cept currently my art is rather terrible. I am working on that, though. :D

• edited November -1
    Well it's all about working at it and thinking a lot of where you want to go and make confident decisions. Hard things I'm sure everyone can relate to.
  • edited November -1
    Okay so I finally took Bubba to a new vet and I feel he's getting better attention there.
    I got him the Allergy test which was expensive but I rather spend it now and worry less about it
    once we get to the bottom of what he's allergic to. The vet said it can also be a combination
    of things which is what I imagine it is. So the test will check if he's allergic to all kinds of
    plants and seasonal things and a long list of other things.
    He also recommended the Omega 3 and I got the medicated shampoo (Malaseb)
    So you guys were on the money and I appreciate it. I also mentioned I got
    all my info from you guys and he said you guys know your stuff. :)
    So in a few weeks (7-10 days) I'll get the results. Also I asked about neutering him and
    I will probably do that in the next couple of months to so he will resemble a lamp shade when he
    gets the snipping...poor wittle guy.
    Thanks guys. I'll keep you guys informed with what's up.
  • edited November -1
    On the Omega 3, is your vet recommending special "dog" capsules or did he recommend buying the capsules in the pharmacy/vitamins section and pircing the capsule over the food?
  • edited November -1
    This one is a pack you rip open and spread on top of the food.
    It's called Virbac. Suppose to smell good too. I'm about to open the first one now.
  • edited November -1
    That's great Luis! I hope the results come quickly and make things easy for you. Please do keep us informed on his progress and make sure you take lots of pictures with the satellite dish on him. :-)
  • edited November -1
    Yeah you know it.
    I have to pot the pics I have thus far of Bubba. Many many.
  • edited November -1
    You have to! I love black and tan shibas!!! And Bubba is so handsome!
This discussion has been closed.