In Japan, you can take your dog on the train?? Not in a crate?

edited September 2013 in General
Say it is so!

My wife and I are beginning medium-term plans to move to Kanagawa prefecture to be closer to her mom for awhile. This would be a long-term thing and we're planning on taking our kishu, Tomoe, with us.

I've been trying to figure out how we can keep Tomoe's life as rich as possible seeing as how we're never going to be able to afford a thing called a "fenced-in yard" in the Kanto area, and I was thinking about how there must be doggy taxi services we can use to ferry Tomoe around. Then the wife drops this bomb on me as though everybody knew it!

She says that you can generally take your dog on trains during off-peak hours, though you need to register an itinerary ahead of time. You folks who live in Japan, do you know anything about this?

It would be so awesome to not need a car....I will take my dog up all the mountains!!

Comments

• edited September 2013
    What part of kanagawa? I'm pretty sure the JR train system does not allow pets last time I rode the train but could be wrong. You could always get a small kei car and a international drivers license and drive to areas nearby. Kanagawa towns have a lot of big parks and rivers whith wide I pen spaces within walking distance from major metro areas. I grew up in odawara and yugawara and there's lots of areas there. There's also a good amount if dog runs in and near Yokohama.
  • Yeah I am not finding a lot of corroborating evidence online about this. Probably too good to be true. Ah well, I'll have to figure out how to pass that driving test then.
  • No need for passing a driving test. Go to your nearest AAA office, get a international license (good for two years), and just keep your us state license with you with the int license. That right there is valid to drive anywhere in Japan. It only costs $35 unless the price went up recently.
  • edited September 2013
    Just a note, I got my international license in 2012 before my trip to Japan, and it was only good for one year, not two. The price was about $35 IIRC however, so that much is true.
  • Wow yeah you're right they changed it recently then cause my last one I used in 2009 says 2 years. Nice thing is you can reapply for another one even when you're in Japan. Just send the application in to AAA with the passport photos and fees and you can continue to drive on the permit.
  • You will not be able to travel with a Kishu sized dog on the train. Not that I haven't seen it done once or twice by some of my more adventurous friends. Picture a 20kg dog in a large handbag :)

The rules are that the width, length, and height of a crate should add up to under 90cm, and the crate and dog should weigh less than 10kg.
  • Returning after a long hiatus to this forum and will post some photos and videos of Ruya (shikoku ken) soon (he's had an adventurous two years). Anyhow, I'm taking the time to reply to this because I've been frustrated by this as well. I trail run a fair amount and got the shikoku to bring him to the mountains.

Long story short, I've find a solution that is working. It's called the Burley tail wagon. I had it delivered to Japan and got the buggy attachment (you have to purchase this separately). It's working like a charm, though you get lots of looks in the train stations...

If I figure out how to post pictures, you'll see what I mean...
  • Dogs on the train would be a definite no go in Kanagawa as far as I know. You can always skirt the rules, but not by too much or too often. Also, if you become a resident in Japan you are supposed to change your license in quite short order (3 months?). If you have been a resident in Japan for longer than this period and you are caught driving you will be charged with driving without a license. They are very strict about this rule these days.
    Also, renting a car is quite cheap in Japan and although you are not suppose to bring pets in a rented car as long as you get rid of the evidence you should be OK.
  • edited February 2014
    Sorry if this is late, old news, or just irrelevant at this point... My experience is limited, so it's just one person speaking his experience.

I never saw dogs or cats on trains while living in Tokyo, though I have seen people carrying those rat-sized little fur balls people refer to as designer dogs in their handbags (I think they hide them when they go through the ticket gate). I guess people take taxis to the vet, or own automobiles. Here in the country vehicles are a necessity.

From the JR East website:
    "Small dogs, cats, pigeons and similar small animals may be brought on board for a fee as long as they are kept in a carrying case that is no more than 70 centimeters long and has a total length, width and height of no more than around 90 centimeters."

As far as driving, the IDP is good for one year from issue. Some people think you can go back to your home country and get a new one after the first one expires, but that's prohibited by the police. If you are a long term resident (someone not on the 90 day visitor visa), you can drive up to one year with the IDP, but you should plan on and take the test to transfer your DL to a Japanese one.

If you are from one of these countries:
    "Austria, Belgium, Czech Republic, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Luxembourg, Norway, Portugal, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, The Netherlands, The United Kingdom, Australia, New Zealand, Canada, Taiwan and South Korea. " then you do not need to take the driving test.

If not, you need to take a driving test at the closest center, which requires you to follow the instructions, in Japanese, of the evaluator while traversing a series of simple driving maneuvers, including very tight S curves. When applying, you need to specify automatic or manual transmission. That will be the vehicle you test with. MT license holders can drive both types, but AT license holders can only drive AT.

As Jeff said above, trying to skirt the rules, even with a valid IDP, will earn you a citation from omawarisan of "driving without a license". This happened to a famous gaijin talent (the guy from the SoftBank commercials) a year or two ago.

Like I said, sorry if this is late or unneeded, but maybe the info can be helpful for someone thinking about traveling here any time soon.