We Went to The Akita Inu Specialty Show on Friday

edited May 2008 in Akita (秋田犬)
We went to Albuquerque to the Akita Inu specialty show to meet a handler that specializes in Akita Inu, she was nice... but we just can't get into dog shows... Just not our scene at all.

Here are some pics:

(there were only American Akita there)

IMG_2005

IMG_2000

IMG_1996

IMG_1988

IMG_1987

IMG_1974

IMG_1973

IMG_1967

IMG_1965

----

Comments

• edited November -1
    wow sounds like a really nice event. Beautiful dogs.
  • edited November -1
    Did your meeting with the handler go well at least? I don't blame you for not loving dog shows. Its cool to see some beautiful animals, but I don't get very excited about seeing them walk around in circles. Its much more fun to watch dogs play and be themselves.
  • edited November -1
    ... I wish the Japanese Akita Inu would get recognized within the breed. I don't know why, but I feel like the black mask just takes away from the beautiful face. Its so hard to find a breeder in the US that breeds for the red colour, without a mask. I guess the thoughts of most is since they can't be shown with the AKC, whats the point in breeding them here? Akita Inu are so beautiful, those white ones are especially radiant.
  • edited November -1
    Actually my AKC Gazette from a few months ago had a mention about American and Japanese Akita breaking into two breeds. So some day we may see nice Japanese Akitas again.
  • edited November -1
    Really? :) Hmm, hopefully we will see them more, then.
  • edited November -1
    The meeting went well, she was very nice and it seemed like the dogs loved her. The handler we met with was the one handling the large white Akita in the pics above... man that white Akita was so sweet and huge!

----

We took Kona and Loa...

Loa did GREAT, and got lots of attention.

Kona did HORRIBLE! He was panicked the whole time! We were shocked, we thought it would go the opposite. We actually took Kona to make Loa feel more comfortable. lol.

In his defence he seems to be going through a fear stage, he was freaking out late last week about the vacuum - he never does that!

----

We didn't take Lani, because we were concerned she may be to fearful (she seem to be scared of men). We have been working with her and she is in obedience and doing much much better, but we didn't think it was time for a show for her yet... tho in hindsight she would have done better than Kona.

----

I am not sure we will go with this handler tho, or any handler... Tobyshiba hit the nail on the head - there is just so few Japanese type Akita Inu in the US she would probably not do very well since the judges don't really know how to judge them... so we would spend a LOT of money for this handler to take Lani and show her in the circuits and not really get much out of it.

I think we have decided that, if we do the dog show thing, we will just be the handlers and be very select as to what shows we go to... only pick the ones that other JA will be there fore.

----
  • edited November -1
    A little background info...

Some of our breeders are urging us to show our dogs, that is the only reason we are considering it.

----
  • edited November -1
    Yay for Loa!!! :-) and poor Kona. :-(
  • edited November -1
    Around here, American and Japanese Akitas have been split into two different breeds for a while now, first as Great Japanese Dog and now as American Akita. It was clear that this had to be done, they're too different to just be different types of the same breed.

I'm planning on showing Kuma once or twice this year, see how he does and then decide if I should show him more.
  • edited November -1
    Good luck to Kuma! :-)
  • edited November -1
    Honestly, I don't know how anyone can go through those shows! Maybe thats why I like the movie "Best in Show". I never have any intentions on breeding, so I don't believe I'll ever attend/enter a show ring!

Are you planning to breed, Brad?
  • edited November -1
    People who are really, really into dog shows are very interesting to me. The only breeder I know shows her dogs to get them championships, but is by no means a big time "show dog" person. She dislikes the politics.
  • edited November -1
    I think I share that view on dog shows, somewhat. I dislike the politics behind it, but I do like to see loads of breeds. And some show dogs are very well mannered so it's kind of a good experience, if the owners aren't too finnicky about dog socialization.
    And, not to sound arrogant or cocky, since Kuma seems to have a good chance (for what I've seen of Akitas here) of actually winning a few titles, it's kind of fun.
  • edited November -1
    I think Kuma is gorgeous! If I were a judge, I'd give it to him - hands down!

I think the politics of dog shows are exactly what bothers me, and that the dogs are somewhat super dogs at that point, they look like well groomed statues!
    We joke about Tsuki, the show dog wannabe, she'll get into that 'stance' with her legs back and her head up, like she's ready to show when she's getting a good sniff of the wind, but since she's a cream and without a filed pedigree, she's a show ring reject! But I still think she's beautiful.

Are Shikoku and Kai recognized to show?
  • edited November -1
    Beautyful american type of the pics! Wow!
    In Europe, Japanese and american are split, so we've Akita Inu breed and American Akita breed, in different ring in dog show.
    ^_^
  • edited November -1
    Brad what exactly is Lani's coloring called?
  • edited November -1
    Rina - I have been meaning to post this picture to answer you question:

IMG_2154

She is a black/red brindle.

----