Dog Books

edited April 2008 in General
I thought of a fun and interesting thread to start
about the books we have read and how they reflect on how we
treat/train/live with our dogs.
Just post dog books you have read and review how they have impacted your Nihon Ken filled life.
I'll start:

The Other End of the Leash by Patricia McConnell
*I loved this book. I has changed so much about how I treat my dogs and how
I train them. Things become so much more harmonious once I understood
how my dog and I were miscommunicating.*

Calming Signals by Turid Rugaas
*Great book. Good examples of canine body language. Really helped my know what
was serious and what wasn't when my shibas were having a tiff.*

Culture Class by Jean Donaldson
*Great for debunking the kids in fur suits myths. Focuses the reader to understand dogs as dogs*

When Pigs Fly: Training
Success with Impossible Dogs by Jane Killion
*Great training advice for non biddable breeds. 100% Positive Reinforcement training*

Control Unleashed: Creating a Focused and Confident Dog by Leslie McDevitt
*Great book for reactive or stressed dogs. Has helped in my work with reactive rescue shibas*

More added 5/01

Comments

• edited November -1
    these will be helpful! thanks for the suggestion!
  • edited November -1
    I'm glad you mentioned "The Other End Of The Leash"... that book is a must read for any dog owner, imo.
  • edited November -1

Along with The Other End of the Leash, The Dog Listener by Jan Fennell is a book about training that I enjoyed.  While I don't agree with all of her methods (none are harmful or bad, just not for me) it is a good book.

• edited November -1
    I just got my lovely stimulus monies, so after bills are paid, I'm going to be looking into adding to my library of dog information!!!! yay!
  • edited November -1
    wow that akita book looks so cool!
  • edited November -1
    It's ridiculous how much info is in that Akita book... it gets very granular into health, behavior, and the difference in the Akita types (American vs. Japanese). If you own an Akita its a must own - imo
  • edited November -1
    Japanese Dogs: Akita, Shiba, and Other Breeds by Michiko Chiba (Author), Lucy North ;]
  • edited November -1
    YES! I LOVE that book! The only written source I ever found the Ryukyu in.
  • edited November -1
    i cant find the book "Japanese Dogs: Akita, Shiba, and Other Breeds by Michiko Chiba , Lucy North " i searched in every online bookstore and it says "currently unavailable" :(
  • edited November -1
    Ok, I have something to confess that I'm sure I'll get stoned for!

I'm having a difficult time getting through 'The Other End of the Leash'. Yes, she has amazing ideas!!! But, GOD, the writing is awful. She doesn't always finish her thoughts - it's often, 'we'll talk about that later'. And geez, she's mentions her credentials every other page. Plus, how many times in one chapter do you have to tell us that Tulip is a Great Pyraneese. Was the editor blind?

Please have mercy, I'm just frustrated trying to get through this book.
  • edited November -1
    I'm also afraid I had trouble finding Japanese Dogs by Michiko Chiba. :( Unsure of where to buy it, now.
  • edited November -1
    truly understand your frustration Steph. (- . -)"
  • edited November -1
    Barbara, lol! I think when you complete the book, it might make more sense to you, but its just one of her many books/pamphlets that are written in the same style. Her ideas are wonderful but I whole heartedly agree that she could have presented them more efficiently!
    But when you are done with the book it does tie all the theories together. :)
  • edited November -1
    The WHOLE book Jen??? I had to reread pages 40 - 62 to see if I can get through it without the desire to rewrite the book and send it to the author. I'll keep trying because it does have a really great message, but ugh. I'm having such a difficult time.

Thanks, Steph!!!
  • edited November -1
    I agree with Jen. Finish the book. I actually found it refreshing that it was more free form and personal experience, and less "do this and don't do this" the chapter about the death of a pet, made me sob.
  • edited November -1
    Of all the various books I've picked up on dog, dog raising, & puppy raising in general, my favorite would have to be "How to Raise a Puppy You Can Live With" by Clarice Rutherford & David H. Neil [ I have the 4th edition ]

It's an excellent little book, IMHO, that really delves into a dog's mind / psychological being & how certain actions can effect it as well as the actions the puppies start to do when they reach certain ages. It also deals with pups when they're older, why obedience is important, etc. In all honesty though, it's a really good book, but I think it's more of a book for a Breeder...but still very enlightening. :)~
  • edited November -1
    Last week I finished "Redemption: The Myth of Pet Overpopulation and the No Kill Revolution in America" - by Nathan Winograd. I highly recommend it to anyone who is interested in the future of pet rescue in this country. It contains a lot of great information.
  • edited November -1
    thanks, Brandon, I'll pick it up.
  • edited November -1
    These are wonderful! Thanks everyone! I think I am going to have to find a larger library/bookstore though, ours does not seem to have some of these. The Waldenbooks in the mall did give me a reference card for a rare/used books place they often go to when books are out of stock/print or they simply can not find the book. I am going to try there for the Japanese Dogs by Michiko Chiba. If I have any luck, I will let you all know.
  • edited November -1
    Our library put up a small presentation table with a bunch of stuff from the humane society and some suggested books. I picked up For the Love of a Dog, and next I think I will grab the clicker training. The Other End of the Leash was checked out though :(.
  • edited November -1
    Pat Miller has some good positive training books.

I would add "So...Your Dog's NOT Lassie! Tips for Training Difficult Dogs and Independent Breeds"
    By Betty Fisher and Suzanne Delzio

Not only are there some great tips in this book, but there are pictures of English Bulldogs doing agility! It just cracks me up!
  • edited November -1
    Amber - I personally order everything from amazon.com like SO much cheaper than a bookstore & you get free shipping on orders totaling $25 or more. :) ~
  • edited November -1
    I've used Amazon a few times - I've had some friends have issues, so I wasn't positive about it's reliability. Perhaps I shall go on a spree - after Christmas!
  • edited November -1
    i live on amazon
    i just got three books today
  • edited November -1
    Good to know Jess! thanks
  • edited November -1
    Oh yes, absolutely LOVE amazon. I order from them at least three times a month, normally books. Never had a problem. [ yet ] :) ~
  • edited November -1
    This is a great book to read: Don't Shoot the Dog by Karen Pryor. I found it interesting when it dawned on her to use her methods on her Mother who was very negative and angry about being in assisted living. Also, the quote from Konrad Lorenz that no one should be allowed to have children until they could teach a chicken to dance! Think about it.