The big Shiba decision

Hello all,
I'm a new member hoping to get some help/information on the decision to get a shiba. I have also never written in a forum before, so please excuse any wrong etiquette. So my boyfriend, Jeremy, and I recently purchased a home and were thinking of getting a dog this year. We decided to start researching breeds early since were not planning on getting one for a couple months and we would like to make the right choice. I have been a dog owner in the past (hunting bird dog breeds) and I am a volunteer at the local shelter, but Jeremy has never owned a dog. Jeremy is very nervous about being "a good dog daddy" and is wanting to lean towards a dog that is not very high maintenance. When we read about the shiba being somewhat independent we thought that may be good. We also have 2 cats so the smaller breed would be nice. We have a small yard and are fully prepared for daily walks around the neighborhood. We’re nervous about extreme energy needs since we both work 8 hours a day, but would also like something Jeremy could take jogging with him or biking with me occasionally. I've read that shibas are willful, but I was already planning on obedience training classes no matter which breed we choose. Unfortunately I have only seen pics online of shibas (they are adorable!!) but never seen one in person. I was attempting to find owners/breeders out here (northern California) to see if I can visit with a shiba, but I'm having difficulty finding any.
So basically to sum all of that up, we think a shiba would be a great fit for our family, but would like input from people with real experience owning one of these adorable dogs. I have read all I can find on the internet and now I'm looking for your input! Thank you in advance for any help!

Comments

• edited November -1
    Before we decided to adopt our first shiba, we found a local 'shiba meetup' to meet shibas that others owned before diving into the committment, it really helped our decision above and beyond internet research.

Read through older threads on here in the shiba topics, you will learn a great deal about the good and the bad!
    I love mine, I think I have found a breed of dog that I will love forever.
    Is your back yard fenced in?
  • edited November -1
    Shibas can be a challenge for first time dog owners so this dog may be a bit of a challenge for Jeremy. They are not just willful, they are creative and smart, they choose when to listen and when to do as you wish. Usually they only do as you command when there is something in it for them (generally food). Also make suer your yard is fenced in. Shibas will take off is allowed off leash in an uncontained area.
    Here is a fair and pretty true explanation of shiba ownership:
    http://www.bravewolf.ca/shibainu.html
  • edited November -1
    Ah yes, the misanthropic shiba - that is an invaluable source before deciding to adventure into shiba ownership!
  • edited May 2008
    Welcome :)

Well first of all, you have to be ready for the fact that your shiba and cats might never get along because of the shiba's high prey drive. Make sure you have a cat sanctuary, somewhere the cats could get to but the dog cannot. Obedience training is a must and I don't think you guys working would be a problem as long as the dog is getting adequate exercise. In my opinion I think shibas are a bit high maintenance if you want them as house dogs but at the same time, I've never had shibas as house dogs. Dogs in Japanese houses are like throwing stones in glass houses.

Corina (a member on here) introduced me to Diana Smiley. She's in NoCal.
    http://www.shibasofcopperdots.com/index.html
  • edited November -1
    Thank you both for your responses. Yes, we do have a fenced in yard. A very tall fence (about 7-8 feet high) all around with a built in dog run. That was great to get with the house! I did read they are very smart, and that is a must with Jeremy. He was originally thinking of a german shepard because they are very smart and loyal, but I think I talked him out of it since they do have a very high energy level (work dogs) and they may instinctively chase the cats.
    About the 'shiba meet-up', that would be great and I've tried to find something similar, had no luck. It just seems shiba are not too common of a breed. My neighbor said there is a man that goes to the local dog park that is a shiba owner. I was thinking about stopping by, but was fearing that may come off odd or rude.
    Thank you for the link. I will definately read up on that.
    So I have read that they are not the most affectionate of dogs, and definately not lap dogs. Does that tend to be true?
  • edited May 2008
    You sound like you have a shiba proof yard! That is a start!

I think if you get one as an indoor companion dog from a pup, or young enough to still be in that formidable year, you can certainly get a cuddly dog!
    My Tsuki is very affectionate, but when she's had enough, she's gone. And my male cuddles when he wants, its rare, but he shows affection in other ways (he'll rub against our head or sleep at the foot of the bed with his head on your foot.. stuff like that).

I think if you catch the man with the shiba, and explain your predicament, he'd be happy to let you interact! A lady just stopped us at the petstore 2 days ago to inquire about what its really like to own a shiba inu, I let her interact with Tsuki (she's much more social that Kitsune) and get a feel for handling one and living with one. She asked us what the worse part about owning one is, and honestly, its that they are the un-dog. They have their own agenda. Like a cat. They respect a worthy pack leader but do not always have that desire to please their owner like most dogs. They are as close to a NINJA (right, Romi?) than any other dog, IMO. They are smart, persistant, agile, tireless, moody, animated, outgoing while still reserved, and did I mention smart?? Prepare yourself to be outwitted and patience tried on an hourly basis!!
    Its not like having just any old dog that learns basic commands and is happy to just be with his person, this dog is nonstop. Needs something to entertain itself as long as its eyes are open. Everything belongs to your shiba - everything! And they are so selective in their following orders. And if its convenient to them, you don't exist, but when they want something, you have their "undivided" attention.. sorta.
    I think my pups enjoy when I work and John is away for a few hours on call - they are probably just sleeping, but I think they enjoy their down time alone. They were housebroke in no time at all - our male messed in house once, our female took about a week.. and totally undestructive, provided adequate distraction (toys) are provided. I can leave them out of crate together alone for at least 9 hours (that was the longest, happened twice).
    But when you connect and realize this dog loves *you* even if he/she is too proud to show or admit it, it is so worth it.
  • edited November -1
    First of all, welcome to the forum Andrea! I think you'll find this an amazing source of information on Shibas. There are bunch of Shiba addicts on here (including myself) who love to share their experiences, so don't hesitate to ask anything at all.

As for the decision, the fact that you are starting your research so early and are putting so much thought into it is awesome. Being owned by a Shiba can be somewhat high maintenance. They tend to be high energy, but they aren't working dogs so two or three good walks throughout the day will keep them pretty calm in the house. I walk my Shibas twice a day, for an hour in the morning and half an hour in the evening. Some days I'll replace the evening walk with an hour or two visit to the dog park. Early socialization with Shibas is very important to avoid aggression or confidence issues. Once mature, a Shiba should be able to jog with you for a few miles without a problem. My knees don't handle jogging but I walk at a pretty fast pace and neither of my Shibas have a problem keeping up.

Shiba are hearty little dogs with a big attitude. They demand respect and attention but will love you for it in return. They require a firm but loving hand and setting boundaries is a must. I think obedience classes are a great idea (although I've never done any with my dogs :-/). My suggestion would be to make sure the trainer has worked with Shibas before as their stubbornness can be a unique challenge to trainers unfamiliar with their temperament.

Most Shiba aren't lap dogs, but they can be very affectionate with someone they care about. I've had Lucy for almost a year and she frequently cuddles up against me on the couch (in fact, she's snuggling with me as a write this :-)). Joey, my 4 month old is still not into that yet, bug he does nap on me in bed before I put him in his crate for the night.

The tall fence is great for Shiba. They are escape artists and many can jump a 4 foot fence without even thinking about it. Even with the 7-8 foot fence, I would not be 100% comfortable leaving them outside unsupervised. As was mentioned, they have a high prey drive and a squirrel walking the top of the fence could be enough to entice them to figure out a way over the top. Because of the prey drive, early socialization with your cats will be very important. You will definitely find it easier with a puppy than an adult from a rescue, but that is no guarantee.

I am no doubt biases, but I think Shiba are just amazing dogs to own. The fact that you're putting so much thought into the decision to get one appears to be an indicator that you have what it takes to put the effort into owning a Shiba. Please don't hesitate to ask any questions you have and best of luck with the decision! Let us know how things are going, even if you don't decide to get a Shiba. Above all, we're animal lovers on this forum so we won't kick you off if you don't decide to get a Shiba. ;-)
  • edited November -1
    So I read through The Misanthropic Shiba site. That was very funny and informative. Shibas are starting to sound like big cats. Our cats think "get off the counter" is just a suggestion that is adequately answered by a stare and tail twitch, that 'ring around mommy' is always funniest when I'm in a hurry (cause mommy makes a funny squeel as she splats on the carpet trying not to step on me), and that anything that enters the home is instantly theirs and must be immediately laid on or COVERED in hair. But it also sounds like they take much more attention than originally thought.
    I apreciate this help everyone, and if anyone can add anything to what was previously said, I appreciate that as well. Looks like my next step is more one on one research : )
  • edited November -1
    thank you all for the welcome!
  • edited May 2008
    Welcome to the forum Andrea! I just want to reiterate what others have said, the fact you came here and are asking question and doing research is proof you will be great dog parents - it really shows you guys are taking the decision seriously! That's great!

----
  • edited November -1
    Welcome to the pack! You sound like you're supporting your choice with research and that's always good.
  • edited November -1
    Hi Andrea - Welcome to the forum. The members have given you great advice, so there's not really much for me to add. But you may want to take a look at the sticky "How to Find a Good Breeder" to make sure you get the best pup to join your family. Good luck in the search and please keep us posted, regardless if you decide to get a Shiba Inu or another breed, we're all dog lovers here!
  • edited November -1
    Its good that you came and found out about the breed from those of us who own one, its good when people who're considering getting one do lots of research, and you have shown it. :) Welcome to the forum! My decision on getting a Shiba was a stupid one, but I am informed, and I assert my dominance, so mine is easy to handle. The only thing that does bother me is that your looking for a dog that won't chase cats. Even if you do early socialization between your cats and a young puppy, theres still a chance they will not get along. I brought my little brat home at 8 weeks old, he met kitty and its been hell since. They're pretty mutual, but my cat finds it amusing to hide at high places in our house and tease the dog, dangle his tail and tempt him over. It turns into wrestling, and chasing within seconds, everytime. If your cats are willing to fight back and not retreat, then your Shiba will think of them as a toy instead of a member of the family. Even when you introduce a Shiba, make the meeting between the animals slow. Hide the cats in another room so they can't tempt a chase out of a puppy. I mostly blame my cat for the chasing behavior. If my cat wasn't so tough and hardy, i'm sure my Shiba wouldn't have a problem with him.
  • edited November -1
    Welome!

The good news is that every shiba comes with an advanced degree in primative dog ethology.

The bad news is that you earn the degree by trail and error.

They are great dogs, but they are hardly worry free. Budget time and money to train them, and consider getting health insurance as soon as possible. The only other suggestion I have is to acknowelge the fact that at some point you're probably going to want another one.
  • edited November -1
    thank you all for this great advice. And thank you too tobyshiba for the cat alert. we assumed we would have a chasing problem no matter what breed we choose, I think thats just the nature of cats and dogs. I think we were just looking for the breed least likely to kill the cat if they are caught. Thats why smaller may be better for us. So after talking it over with Jeremy we still decided this sounds like a pretty good breed to continue looking into. Jeremy says, "all dogs have pros and cons, just depends which cons we want to deal with over others. this breed seems worth it". so our next step is to either contact a breeder, the guy at the dog park with a shiba, or a local shiba rescue group for a play day/meet and greet. we would like to finally meet a shiba up close!
    again, thank you all for your advice, support, and just all around welcoming attitudes! I will keep you all updated on our next moves. thanks!
  • RyuRyu
    edited November -1
    be forewarned. when you finally meet a Shiba in person, your decision will be made in one instant. :-)
  • edited November -1
    If you're looking for least likely to kill a cat it catches, I would never think of the shiba. I would think of them as one of the most likely to kill a cat it catches. Sure it might be different if it's raised with it since puppyhood but still. If anything the pup will tolerate your specific cats but any other cats are fair game.

Don't think I'm trying to talk you out of it. I have 3 cats myself :) It's better to assume the worst and get something better than to assume it'll work out. Especially when it's something like this where someone might get hurt.
  • edited November -1
    that is a good way to think of it. I was mostly going off of the dog breed info sites. Most other dogs it says they are either NOT able to be around cats, or that if you raise them together they MIGHT be ok but could occasionally instinctively chase. The shiba info said they are ok with all other house animals, especially if they are socialized young, but definitely NOT ok with small animals such as rodents or birds. The only dogs I am finding that say they are perfectly fine with cats and don't chase are either extremely large (st bernards) or extremely small. One of my cats would have no problem fighting for itself, and the other would just run. So that is definitely something to keep in mind.
  • edited May 2008
    I have 1 that cowers in terror, 1 that fights back and 1 that lays there looking up at the dog like "what the hell do you want? you're bothering me."

I was watching National Geographic clips of wolves howling and of course the first 2 mentioned ran up on top of my 3 foot high rabbit cage and was searching all over for the dangerous wolves lmao. My 3rd cat just continues napping where she was, not at all fazed with what was going on.
  • edited November -1
    Welcome to the forum!

My shiba is almost 5 years old and I got her 9 months ago. Prior to her life with me, she was not around cats. I have three outdoor cats. While inside, Jazz will see one of the cats, whine a bit, and then come get me to be leashed so that she can rid the yard of these "vermin". When we go out, she walks up to the cats, sniffs and that's it. She has no more interest in them. The cats pretty much ignore her as well. Of course, they were used to a much bigger dog previously and deal with neighborhood dogs on the loose. Each dog is different - I liken it to each person is different. Some people like cats, some dogs, some snakes - people can change and adapt - so can dogs. Slowly introduce, reinforce good behavior and take it from there.
  • edited May 2008
    when i had two foster tabby cats and a shiba pup (tsuki) she never ONCE harmed either cat, and they were both new to her.. she was a puppy mill dog who never saw grass or other animals besides her litter mates and mother.. She did chase them incesently when she had full energy but NEVER EVER with the intent to harm. When she was tired out from activities or sleeping, she didn't make a chase attempt. It was really a big game to her. Not a hunt.
    Even when we adopted Kitsune as an adult the two cats were still here and he definitely was curious but even he didn't chase them as much as Tsuki and the foster basset hound (we had at the time) did!

Those of us with shibas can tell you when they are puppies, the cats are bigger than them most of the time, and as adults, they aren't that much bigger than cats. If you've never met a shiba, its hard to imagine how small they actually are!! Most pics are close ups because if you took a picture of them farther away, they look way small in comparison to everything else!
    Here's something.. my husband is 6 foot tall, the sesame shiba is bigger than the cream, but the preception is crazy
    Photobucket

I don't think anyone should generalize the breed for an individual dog, especially if you are getting one from a pup - you will probably have great results! Yes their prey drive is high, but if the cats are bigger at first, and have a place to retreat, and the pup grows up with the cats, I don't think the cats would be considered kill-prey, just chase-game-prey.
    Even an adult rescue dog can prove to be OK with cats - and even an adult shiba rescue can be OK with cats. By OK with cats, rescues and shelters usually mean they will probably chase and torment but not harm.
    But then some people might tell you they have to pry their shibas off their cat. Thats a possibility too.. Your cats will need a retreat area that shiba cannot get to. When I had my two foster cats, I had bought a kitchen island on wheels to put in the 'play room' for their food which was a lot higher than the shibas could access and their litter box went under it facing the wall with an area to small for the shibas to fit into. It worked out nice.

Personally I think Shibas are a good breed to start as a pup with cats because they themselves are so cat like.
  • edited November -1
    yeah I assumed just about all dogs would chase, but I'm trying to stay away from the ones that may cause harm. One breed that is extremely common around here is pit bulls. They are sweet and we thought about it, but with the locking jaw and possibility of aggression, we would always be worrying about the cats. The other breeds we like are the shepards and huskys. EVERYTHING we read said they have extreme prey drive and will most definitely hurt the cats. Even if they are raised together, something could still trigger the dive later in life and your cats are still at risk. Its been very difficult finding a breed good with cats and doesn't have other habits that would not work with us. I have been a beagle fan for some time. Beagles are good with cats, but they also bay/howl when left alone. Jeremy and I work at the same place (a bank) so we are gone the same 8 hour a day. so the search continued.
    I have heard others say shibas are much smaller than you would assume from pictures. others say they are about the hight of a beagle, but with a smaller frame. I am very excited to actually meet one. we are thinking this week I can call around to set up a meeting for next weekend. Jeremy keeps having to remind me we are in no rush yet (we set a time no earlier than September to get a dog. allows us research time to be sure we dont rush into it) but I tend to get soooo excited. Im hoping just seeing the shibas up close will be a great experience!
  • edited November -1
    A lot of members here have cats as well as Japanese breed dogs so it's not a lost cause. How did you come about finding the shiba? How did you find out about this forum? I'm nosy so just let me know if I ask inappropriate questions. I wont be offended if you tell me to back off :)
  • edited November -1
    My husky did relatively well with the cats we had - then again, he had a mama cat scratch him pretty bad across the nose when he was four months old - after that he pretty much left them alone.
  • edited November -1
    no worries on the questions. You all are answering all of my questions so feel free to ask me anything back : ) I originally found out about the shiba through dog breed info sites. I would just pick a site and spend hours going letter by letter in the alphabet reading about each breed. needless to say, I know alot about many breeds now. Dont ask me why, but I had previously passed up the shibas. I think its because the picture made it look like a large dog. Then about 2 weeks ago I was looking on craigs list and saw a listing for someone that needed to find a home for their shiba. The dog looked so cute, and after reading about so many breeds I couldn't remember much about them. Then I went on a mad search of any site I could to find out all about them. After reading everything in english I could find, I searched for forums. Jeremy has always taught me you will find the best reviews on anything you are thinking about purchasing through forums. This forum happened to be the second listing on the google search. I read a little on this forum and decieded you all sounded like a great bunch to chat with : )
  • edited November -1
    Hehe that's great. Yeah shibas do look pretty big in pictures. It surprises people on how small they really are. Well I'm glad you found the forum. I have learned so much here even when I've been a dog owner for most of my life.
  • edited November -1
    Here's a picture to give you some perspective (note the backpack on the left side):

Lucy (the one in the red harness) is just a hare on the small side for female shibas. She's 16 pounds. Joey, is 4 months old and the last time he was weighed two weeks ago was 15 pounds. In that time, he's surpassed Lucy in size and from holding him I'm sure he weighs more than she does by now as well.

So, I've gotta ask...what was it about the Shiba that drew you in? My list is a mile long. :-)
  • edited November -1
    definitely the fox like looks. they look to have that proportional frame (which threw me off on the size initially) and much I read about their personality. Jeremy has been a cat owner all his life, and when I read about their independent attitude it seemed to fit with him. I also LOVED the part where it said they are very clean. most sites said they will lick their legs and paws like a cat, but some others said they will actually side step puddles or mud to stay clean! I have always had outdoor dogs that would have no problem racing right through mud and rolling in the dirt. And while I have no problem cleaning up after a dog, I thought it may be easier on Jeremy to start him out with a "cleaner" dog : )

I cant wait to see a shiba in person!!! you're babies are soooo cute! thank you for posting a picture. Does anyone happen to know any shiba owners in the california bay area? (San Francisco bay area) Not that we would want to intrude on anyones space, but posibly they could direct us to a meet up group of sorts...
  • edited November -1
    Go to meetup.com - http://shibainu.meetup.com/cities/us/ca/san_francisco/
    Looks like there are 2 - I don't know how close those are, but hopefully this will help.
  • edited November -1
    wow that is a HUGE help! looks like they have a meet up at the end of the month, but its far and I work till 2. the other group is much closer but I just missed their meet up on the 17!! : (
This discussion has been closed.