Grooming: Loa vs. Ahi

I just couldn't help my self, I had to create this thread...

LOA BEING GROOMED:

AHI BEING GROOMED:

----

Comments

• edited November -1
    omg! Ahi with her tail down and everything!!!
    in our pack, Kitsune LOVES it, he'll even rub on it when we're done, but Tsuki squirms and shows teeth and takes off first chance.
  • edited November -1
    Hehehe ... talk about Jekyll and Hyde!
  • edited November -1
    Hehehe...Ahi behaves just like our smooth collie male when he sees the clawclipper :)
  • edited November -1
    Ha! Boy Ahi doesn't like that. Kuma is much more like Loa!
  • edited November -1
    That's quite a difference, hehehe!
    My Kuma is a mix between the two. He'll stand it, but if he can leave he will. Normally chicken insures his stay.
  • edited November -1
    Hummm....outside of general "Shikokutude" or "Shibatude"....I would say each dog has it's own sensitivity to grooming and different brushes and combs are needed at different times depending on their coat's state of shed. The individual nerve endings and sensitivity is different on each animal topically. In grooming multiple dogs, I noticed the thicker tighter or more wooly the undercoat the more sensitive the dogs seemed to be in regard to the furminator.

In observation, The furminator irritates some dog since the blade can break/rip the coat even on the Japanese dogs. I really think it probably pinches since the spacing between the prongs are so tight. The furminator is one half of a clipper blade used for A10 clippers just screwed into a handle. The prongs are pretty sharp and raking too close can scrape or pluck. If you see little white endings adhering to the hair shaft when raking through the fur with the furminator is not necessarily dry dandruff but live follicles that get pulled with hair when it is not ready to come off/out fully. To circumvent this I use a porcupine brush, double sided greyhound comb and back brush a bit on the loose tufts over many days. (As some of the Japanese dogs mature and are well into adulthood they tend to hold on to their full coats longer sometimes up to 15 months with only a partial release of undercoat.)

Anyway...sometimes the behavior on some animals is better switching out the grooming tools.

I have reduced the use of slicker since the ends/tips are too sharp when it digs down in the fur also causing the dogs to jump or get sore if used for long durations too.

Maybe one of the Akia breeders can elaborate on how they show groom via a video clip....I am pretty sure they use the same tools and methods to keep the coat fuller longer rather than raking out everything at once or down to the skin in one session as seen in the furminator clip.

Snf
  • edited November -1
    Wow! Cranky is right!

Loa behaves much more like Ronan when it comes to grooming time, although Ronan doesn't usually lay down. He see me with a brush or the furmanator and he walks right up. He is a little unsure about nail trimming, though. He used to be like Ahi, but now he'll allow us to trim a whole foot without issue. We have to take a break after that as he starts body language stating he's getting an itsy bit nervous. He doesn't get cranky about it - just scared.

How do you ever brush her?
  • edited November -1
    I was really making a joke with this post. Ahi reacted like that because Jen surprised her with the brush in that clip. If Ahi has a clear understanding that its brushing time she will tolerate it.

----
  • edited November -1
    I agree with Snf about the Furminator. I do love the tool, but I can hear it rip the hair out of my dogs. Mika LOVE being brushed to the point where she will actually rub her face on the brush itself, but isn't as in love with the furminator.
  • edited November -1
    I use the furminator only a couple times a year once their coats are REALLY loose. Moto actually likes when I use the upholstry attachment on my vacuum and being vaccumed. He is a weird weird dog.
  • edited November -1
    Ha ha thats so funny it like night and day with grooming.
  • edited November -1
    Yes, I too, have heard from a couple of groomers that furminators aren't good but with loose hair.
    I love these videos. It really shows the primitive aspect of Ahi and his "distaste" of the enemy:-}
    Very interesting!
    Thanks,
    Britain
    who has been grooming for hours.