All time top breeds to own

Comments

• edited April 2008
    Although from a functional point of view you are right, Heidi, I wouldn't classify Shikokus as hounds. Morphologically, they're far from the "hound type". I know there's the Norwegian, but I wouldn't classify it as a hound either. But then again, I'm used to the FCI grouping, which makes a bit more sense (to me).
  • edited November -1
    shibas are vicious
  • edited November -1
    I say they're hounds because they are classified as hounds by the Canadian Kennel Club and hunt after the manner of sight and scent hounds.
  • edited November -1
    Yep, I got what you meant. Functionally, they work as hounds.
  • edited November -1
    I guess it comes down to semantics.  I think shibas should be considered hounds, too, but I guess that's me.
  • edited November -1

Jen

I LOVE Rhodisian Ridgebacks. An ex had a really sweet girl named Ginger.  

• edited November -1

Heres the top four for me. xD

1. Another Shiba

2. Shikoku

3. Japanese Akita Inu

4. Hokkaido Inu

I dunno, maybe a few other Spitz breeds, but i'm mostly interested in the Japanese Spitz. :)  

• edited May 2008
    I have to change my list:

Kai Ken
    Basenji
    Hokkaido
    Shikoku
    Kishu
    Chinook
    New Guinea Singing Dog
    Australian Dingo
    Short Haired Grande Portuguese Podengo
    Japanese Akita
    Canadian Eskimo Dog
    Tamaskan
    Inuit Dog
  • edited November -1
    Oh, I love Canadian Eskimo Dogs! I was dead set on getting one for a while, but I'm just positive they wouldn't do well during the summer here.
  • edited November -1
    My list:

Fila Brasileiro
    Border Collie
    more shibas :)
    more hokkaido :)
    shikoku
    kai
    papillon
    bergamosco
  • edited November -1
    Shiba

Alaskan Malamute

Samoyed

Caanan Dog

Basenji

Belgian turveran
  • edited June 2008
    In no particular order; [ edited ]

o1. Shikoku / Shiba / Any Japanese Spitz
    o2. Jamthund
    o3. Siberian husky
    o4. German Shepherd
    o5. Anything like a rough collie, sheltie, border collie, etc.

But there are just so much more :D~!~
  • edited November -1
    I'm adding Canaan Dog to my list. Met one at the state park today. It was such an incredible dog. His name was Shiloh and he was 10 years old.
  • edited November -1
    1. Another Boston Terrier
    2. French Bulldog
    3. Mastiff
    4. Golden Retriever
    5. English Bulldog
  • edited November -1
    a lot of interesting breeds 5 is definetly hard to do
    1)Shiba Inu
    2)Northern Inuit
    3)Austrailan Cattle dog
    4)Siberian Husky
    5)German Sheppard or Japanese Akita
  • edited August 2008
    No particular order

Shiba

Border Collie

Papillon

Welsh Corgi

Edit- Had to update to include the possibility of a Shikoku... although I need/want to meet one first.
  • edited November -1
    I have an updated list....

- Russo-European Laika
    - Inuit Dog
    - Turkish Kangal
    - Swedish Elkhound
    - Greenland Dog
    - Sarplaninac
    - Dogo Argentina

----
  • edited November -1
    my list

- Irish wolfhound
    - shikoku
    - great dane
    - rhodesian ridgeback
    - White German shepherd
    - dingo/ new guinea singing dog
  • edited November -1
    Japanese breed forever ! lol

Without other Hokkaido and Akita... I like a lot of different breeds :

- Lundehund (norvegian dog with some physical particularities)
    - Border Collie (for Agility !)
    - Irish wolfhund (a white one...)
    - Ryukyu Ken (It's a shame ther are not recognized by FCI...)
    - Cao Fila de Sao Miguel (before their hears were cut in round, but we are not alloud anymore in France now...) One of my firend breed these dogs.

PS : Karafuto Ken is the only japanese sled dog breed (Do you have ever seen the movie ANTARTICA ? the japanese one, not the american Walt Disney's copy....) But the breed is not officially recognized...
  • edited November -1
    My list would probably include
    Rhodesian Ridgeback
    Swedish Vallhund
    Thai Ridgeback
    Beauceron
    Belgian Laekenois
    Portugese Podengo (grande, wire coat)
    Patterdale Terrier
    REL
  • edited November -1
    we've been talking more and more about the dogs we both mutually like, and since we have a good many years before we can own any of them, we've updated our list too
    1. Chinese Chongqing Dog (solely my pick!)
    2. Canaan Dog
    3. NGSD
    4. Greenland Dog
    5. Basenji
    6. Boerboel or TM (solely John's pick!)
    and i'm still in love with the tamaskan, but i don't think I'll let myself own one until they are held to a standard.
  • edited November -1
    Okay I had to look up the Chinese Chongqing Dog. I was like "Wow it looks like a Chinese pit bull" I showed it to Jay and he want "it looks like the world most beautiful demon, like it should be someones pet on Buffy or Angel (further confirming our super nerdiness)."

They are really awesome looking dogs. What makes you want one Jen? And where did you hear of them? Have you met one? I am just super intrigued.
  • edited August 2008
    We have not met one personally, no. They are rare, and not like nihon ken rare, like super extreme rare, so the likeliness of us meeting one before owning one is slim.
    however...
    i'm teaching a class this semester and I'm teaching it with a gentleman (Stephen) who is a Fulbright Scholar from Hong Kong. Earlier in the summer we had to go to a faculty orientation and we got to talking and he brought in some pictures of where he is from, where he has traveled and in one he's with three of these incredible dogs holding two pups of the same breed. I'm like WHAT ARE THEY!??!? He tells me the Chongqing dog of China. He also has a figurine that is supposed to be a CCD made out of bamboo. He loves them completely, he co-owned a stud male for some time before leaving for his 2 year sabbatical in the US.
    So of course I come home, google it and instantly start researching and loving it completely. They are the most uniquely beautiful dogs I have ever seen since seeing my first shiba inu :) They sound absolutely incredible and Stephen says that no other dog in the world holds the amount of dignity and fortitude as the Chongqing Dog.

I've had an internal battle with myself since choosing between going ahead with sanctuary or shipping a decedent of his stud dog to me!

Aren't they intriguing, though? Have you checked out: http://www.chongqingdog.cn/ and http://www.chongqingdog.org/

• edited November -1
    Karelian Bear Dog. The name alone earns it high marks. ; ) http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/karelianbeardog.htm

..."Never let two Karelian Bear Dogs run together free - for they will go hunting." LOL
  • edited November -1
    Jen - Those look awesome! I agree with Jessica's comment, they look like a demon dog! lol

Since everyone else is updating their lists, I might as well update mine as well :p

Ok!
    o1. Shikoku
    o2. [ Japanese ] Akita
    o3. Kai
    o4. Shiba
    o5. [ Rough ] Collie
    o6. Russo-European Laika [ Thanks Sarah! ;) ]

& I would also love to have any one these guys; [ in no particular order ] Doberman Pinscher, German Shepherd, Sheltie, Australian Shepherd, Border Collie, Jamthund, Norwegian Elkhound, Beauceron, Belgian Shepherd [ Tervuren & Groenendael, ] Malamute, Canaan Dog, Finnish Lapphund., Hokkaido, & Kishu.

& even though it's something I've debated on & wouldn't get for another few years until the breed is more established; Tamaskan.

I love too many of the breeds D: [ particularly the spitz types <3~! ] ~
  • edited November -1
    Ok, I guess I should update mine, although its not all that different.

Next dog for sure is a Japanese Akita. After that, I will probably have a pack consisting of a Rottie, Tamaskan, and either a Shikoku or Hokkaido (but not both). Three is without a doubt my limit at any one time. :-) (I know someone on this forum is going to dig this up in 10 years and rub it in my face if/when I have more then three though. :-P)
  • edited November -1
    The CCD has nothing on the Xolo when it comes to looking like a Demon Dog:

Xolo
  • edited November -1
    ugh, that xolo is frEAKy! It'd be starring at me and I'd be waiting for death to befall me at any moment. I'd rather the CCD anyday!
  • edited November -1
    Holy $hit! That thing is FUUUUUUUGLY. That pose could give anyone nightmares. I hope never to meet one of those in a dark alley.
  • edited November -1
    Yikes. I can just feel the evil juju coming from that dog!

I feel the need to look at cuddly puppies now that are NOT trying to curse anyone.