We're Midwesterners now!!

RyuRyu
edited September 2008 in Shiba Inu (柴犬)
So, we finally made it to good 'ole St. Robert, MO!! Ryu was a CHAMP! He had to stay in the crate for 14+ hours as we overnighted from Hawaii. Here's the spam:

Tim and Ryu exhausted after moving in and out of the vacation rental:
From Moving 08
Giving some love to Ryu, he still doesn't know what the heck is going on:
From Moving 08
We rented a rental van to take us from the St. Louis airport to the dealership where our new truck was waiting for us. As we waited in the parking lot for the keys to be handed over, I snapped this photo of a very exhausted Ryu who promptly crawled onto the floorboard behind the two front seats:
From Moving 08
While in MO, we're living with our old roommates from Hawaii and Ryu was pretty ecstatic to see them:
From Moving 08
So, we and our roommates are renting from a friend of ours while he's in Germany. He and his fiance don't leave until next month so it's a pretty full house. Much to Ryu's surprise, there's another canine in the mix too. Here's Moose, a poodle/chihuahua mix. He and Ryu get along for the most part, unless they are going for the same toy at the same time, and then a screaming match ensues. Thankfully, there are so many people in the house that they are kept under a few watchful eyes:
From Moving 08
I forgot that I ordered this shirt for Ryu and had it sent here:
From Moving 08
From Moving 08
From Moving 08
Showing how much progress they made in just one day : snuggles!
From Moving 08
From Moving 08
From Moving 08
And, finally, Ryu's new fabulous backyard!!!!
From Moving 08
From Moving 08
I'm so excited to be back on the mainland - today was a fantastic fall day. I even got to wear a long sleeve shirt!!!!! wooohooo!!

Comments

• edited November -1
    Wow. That's one awesome yard! Ryu must have LOVED it!
    Glad to have you back!!!!!!!
  • edited November -1
    Yay!!! You're a mainlander! Ryu is just so handsome. He and Moto seem to have similar faces. They are such boys. So how long are you in MO? Or is the housing situation the part that is temporary?
  • edited November -1
    YAY! Glad you all are safe and that you "got shiba"!
    : )
  • RyuRyu
    edited November -1
    Ryu loves the yard but still isn't quite sure that its HIS yard. I think he thinks its just a big empty dog park lol :)

Jessica, we're in MO until April 2009 while Tim attends the advance course. After that, we'll head to our next duty station for 3 years but we don't know where that will be yet just yet. We're going to be living with our roommates (just the one couple, not the owner and his fiance) for the entire time we'll be in MO. Which kind of puts a delay on our Shiba-adopting plan for a few months. After all the worrying about Ryu traveling, I'm hesitant to find another shiba until we know where we'll end up :) But i'm just so excited to be back in the same time zone as everyone!!!
  • edited September 2008
    Beautiful yard for Ryu and he deserves it! Glad to hear you all made it safely.
  • edited November -1
    Welcome back! And I am glad Ryu did so well with the traveling!
    He has an awesome back yard. I am sure he will claim it as his own in no time!
  • edited November -1
    Hi Pam! I've missed Ryu spam. :-)

I'm glad to hear the move went well. Ruy looks tired, but happy to be with friends. Now that your here, no more excuses. I expect more spam from you regularly. :-P
  • edited November -1
    Happy to hear everything went well! :D ~
  • edited November -1
    Hey! So glad you made it safe! What a move - wow!!!

Ryu's new yard is HUGE!!!

----
  • edited November -1
    YAY PAM! Im so happy for you guys! I'm glad the move went well! And I agree, Ryu has quite a nice yard there!
  • edited November -1
    That yard is huge. Seems like everyone made it through the big move in pretty good shape. That's a lot of traveling for a dog.
  • edited November -1
    welcome to the mainland!!! I'm glad the move went well, and that backyard is pretty sweet!
  • edited November -1
    Glad to hear you made it back in one piece, but sorry we missed you guys at the last meet up. I’m also pleased to hear that Ryu has a playmate for the time being.

You picked a good time to leave, we’ve got Kona winds and everything is voggy, sticky, and kind of junk right now. The good news is that we finally got to meet Derek (he is in our obedience class) and next Saturday we’ll get to meet Aya as well. Moach better behave himself.

About the whole Midwestern thing, having been there and done that; be sure to enjoy all the cultural advantages that come along with it. Specifically, White Castle sliders and the Annheiser-Busch plant tour.

Free beer and Clydesdales, life can’t possibly get any better than that. :0)
  • RyuRyu
    edited November -1
    Thanks everyone! We're having a blast trying to get Ryu used to the country. He doesn't quite understand the yard yet. We're trying to teach him to use the yard to relieve himself before our 3 walks/day (in hopes that we can get all three walks without carrying poop-filled bags) but when we open the back door, he steps out onto the deck and then looks back at us like, "you're not going to come with me?" :) The other perk is that all 5 of us adults are dog-lovers so he gets several walks and play sessions a day.

Dave: Don't worry, I'll be back to spamming in no time! :)

Diggah: I'm so glad you got to meet Derek! I'm sorry that we missed you both at the last meetup - it was kind of a hot, muggy, rainy day though. Where did you stay in the Midwest? We've done nothing but shop since we got here. It got chilly as soon as we got here so we loaded up on some outerwear today at the outlets. :)

All: A few points of interest that we didn't notice until we got here and had another dog in the mix (full-time). We think Ryu is food and toy aggressive. Pertaining to food, we had a few hints of it in Hawaii when our neighbor's dog would come in the house. If she got too close to Ryu's crate (where he's fed), he would go ballistic. And they got into a major scrap when Misty found Ryu's pig's ear that he hid behind a chair. Also, at our last meetup in Hawaii, Ryu got really snarky when someone was feeding him treats and the other dogs came around to get their share. He snarled really loud at another shiba and scared her to death.
    Regarding toys, we noticed it here with Moose when each time they had a scrap, a toy was always involved. It didn't get so bad to where we had to remove all the toys from the room (which we probably should have done in the first place) but I thought it was interesting because none of these toys are Ryu's (so there shouldn't be any attachment, right? other than simple Shiba selfishness, I don't see why he got so possessive). Sometimes he would see Moose with a toy and couldn't care less. But when someone would throw a ball and Moose caught it first, Ryu would practically tear it out of his mouth. Or bark really loudly and obnoxiously in his ear until Moose freaked and dropped it. Which during the scrap, there is major Shiba snarling, barking and just terrible sounds (no bites or cuts, thank goodness) so it's pretty upsetting to everyone involved. One the one hand, since they are not hurting each other (which I know they would if they wanted to) I'm attributing to just plain rivalry but then again, I don't want this to escalate to a point where we can't bring another dog into our family :(

Other than those two instances, he did really well with another dog in the household. (Moose left this morning and only comes maybe every other weekend) I just want to nip this in the bud before it gets any worse ;)

Any help or advice is appreciated!!!
  • edited November -1
    Sorry to hear about Ryu's snarkies. It is not uncommon at all, especially with Shibas, and especially if they are of the same sex. It will take some time for them to work out who is in charge. Lucy used to be pretty bad about toys and food. It took her a month or two to settle in with Joey and not cause problems. The simplest approach to fixing the problem is to put Ryu in a time out whenever he gets snarky. If he misbehaves, IMMEDIATELY remove him from the situation. Put him in another room by himself, in his crate, or on leash. He will learn very quickly that if he over reacts, not only does he not get what he wants, but the other dog gets it.

That being said, a little competition is normal for high valued items like food or toys. If Ryu exhibits the normal warning signs (raised lip, low growl, a lite nip, in that order) then I wouldn't worry. If he pushes the issue further and things escalate, that is when you have to spring into action.
  • edited November -1
    I agree with Dave completely. Just keep your cool and when he acts up put him in a time out.
  • edited November -1
    I'm glad you guys made it safely to your new place! That yard is fantastic, Ryu is one lucky pup.

I'll third what Dave wrote, stay on it so you can stop it before it escalates.
  • RyuRyu
    edited November -1
    Augh! I'm such a terrible forum-er. I can't believe I let this thread get all the way to the second page before finding the time to respond! Needless to say, I deeply value all of your advice/comments - I'm just so incredibly jet lagged that my time is all screwed up :) Unfortunately, the second dog already left before I could ask your advice but if/when he comes back to visit, I'll employ the time-out idea for sure. :D
This discussion has been closed.