My Shiba's Feline Behavior

edited October 2008 in Shiba Inu (柴犬)
My new male Shiba Pika did something very unusual this evening. I was standing in front of the television and guess what? Pika started rubbing his body on my legs like a cat!! He rubbed his cheeks , then his body, turned around and rubbed the other side around my legs. Anybody else had this experience? I've never had any of my previous Shibas do this to me. I think he's bonding! Any ideas?

Comments

• edited November -1
    Our new boy is just like that too! He does the figure-eight back and forth around our legs when he's starting to get sleepy. He's also figured out that if he's out to go take care of business and he stands between your legs, he won't get wet in the rain. They say Shibas are smart for a reason I guess!
  • edited October 2008
    My male Kitsune does this to me when I wake up in the morning and when I come home from work. If we start scratching him on his back right where his tail curls into, he starts flailing his tongue about while he rubs like a cat. He looks ridiculous but its funny!!
    Also, if I wear a t-shirt to bed and take it off, if he can get to it, he'll rub all over it!

p.s. I think it is a sort of bonding :)) Yay for Pika!!
  • edited November -1
    HAHAH Honey doesnt Rub on my legs but she WILL hide between my legs when it's raining.

Wren, have you posted any pics of Pika yet? Have I somehow missed them?
  • edited November -1
    Akira does that too and sometimes when he meets someone that he really likes he does that to them :)
  • edited November -1
    Here's photos of Pika! He's a year and a half old.
  • edited November -1
    Another Pika photo.
  • edited November -1
    What a handsome boy. :)
  • edited November -1
    HE's BEAUTIFUL!!!!! Such a handsome pup!!!!
  • edited November -1
    Pika is gorgeous.

My Shibas will sometimes do the rubbing against the legs if they are tired or need comforting. Nola does it a lot now as she is teething. Next thing you know, they will be meowing at us!
  • edited November -1
    Pika says thanks for the compliments! That's one of the traits I love about the Shibas. They are very clean dogs and they do have cat like manners.
This discussion has been closed.