Helpful tips on transitioning from kennel to crate UPDATE: 10/23/08

edited October 2008 in General
I just bought a crate for Ichibi but made the mistake of noisily assembling it in front of him. Now he wants nothing to do with it. He'd rather run into his kennel (after he peed from stress/excitement on the carpet).

I've tried treats and toys, but maybe I'll just have to wait a few days to see if Ichi will finally get curious enough to wander in the new crate.

He's only a 10-week old pup so I've panelled off his new space so that the 36" x 24" x 26" has been sectioned off to 16" x 24" x 26".

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Jesse

Comments

• edited October 2008
    I'd say lure him in with the yummiest treat you can find! Keiko goes CRAZY over these realmeat Venison treats... just smelling them I can get her to go anywhere and do anything. Maybe lure him in and give him lots and lots of yummy treats so he thinks of it as a positive place!

It might take time before he chooses to go in his crate and/or is comfortable, but it will happen.
  • edited November -1
    Um.. I'm a little confused, what's the difference between a kennel and a crate? I've always used those words to describe the same object. I'm thinking you mean "kennel" as in the plastic crates and "crate" as in the metal kind. If he's already crate-trained, then it's probably just a matter of time. Maybe drape a blanket over the top to make it darker inside, since the plastic crates don't allow as much light in. Throw some treats in the back while he's not looking so he starts to associate crate with good things. Put toys in there so if he wants to play, he has to go inside to get them out.

The best way I found to get Jack crate-trained was to associate a command with it, after he figured out what "in your crate" meant (tons of treats and praise), he was more than happy to go in there on his own.
  • edited November -1
    'I'm thinking you mean "kennel" as in the plastic crates and "crate" as in the metal kind.'

Yup, that's what I meant. Normally I do use them to describe the same object, but my dog sure as heck doesn't treat them the same...yet. :)

Thanks for the helpful tips and I'll see about draping a blanket over the kennel to make it more den-like.

Jesse
  • edited November -1
    Some dogs get used to one type of sleeping conatianer and if you don't switch between the two like you are doing, as adults the freak when switched to another for example if they were only sleeping in an airline crate and you move them to mesh. It is good you are switching between the two now. I would try feeding him near it and eventually feeding him in it. As Kaddy mentions put some yummy treats and maybe some toys in to lure him in on his own.

It will take some time, so be patient with the process.

Snf
  • edited October 2008
    ^ that.
    When all else fails, food!

Have you tried putting him into it after he falls asleep somewhere else for a nap? Leave the door open and stay nearby so he doesn't feel trapped or anything... we did that with Taiko and it worked really well. He just kind of wakes up after you move him and is too comfortable by that point to bother struggling. Our pup will hop right in now when he's tired enough. Throwing in an old sweatshirt or something with your scent can help him feel more comfortable too.

Maybe try taking away his other option (the kennel)? We had a really tough time pushing back Taiko's bedtime to fit our schedule better. Try keeping him awake and playing for a while longer than he'd usually want to be up. Sooner or later he'll get tired enough to want to go somewhere dark, warm, comfortable and quiet. And probably away from you too. =P
  • edited November -1
    If he's extremely frightened, you could always start with baby steps; first give him treats every time he sees the kennel. Then give him treats when he gets near it. Then give him treats when he goes in it.

Also, don't keep him in their too long at first, baby steps. 5 seconds...than 10 seconds...then 20...30...45...a Minute...3 minutes...5...10...etc.etc. The key here will probably be lots of patience, lots of repetition, & lots of positive reinforcement :)~
  • edited October 2008
    First I have to relay my thanks to many members of this forum. I have successfully hidden Ichi's carrier (kennel) and he has now accepted the crate as his "bed".

It took some quick slight of hand to hide his kennel while he was playing but I think he'll get comfortable with his crate real quick. I removed the fuzzy crate bed pad because I wasn't comfortable with him chewing it while he was in there so maybe I'll add it in later when he's older and not teething. Now I'm just biding my time until I get a crate cover for his crate to make it more den-like like his kennel.

Again, thanks everyone,
    Jesse

PS. I'd take pictures but my lens for my camera is going in for warranty repair :(