To Bitter Apple or Not and Other House Prepping Tales

edited October 2008 in Shiba Inu (柴犬)
I'm going through my house and dog-proofing in anticipation of Tosca's arrival. Most of it is basic - move the container of mixed nuts off the coffee table, push the wine rack further back on the kitchen counter, get the opera scores off of… well, everything, and nestled into the book case, find secure places for the bedroom waste paper basket, and the bathroom waste basket, and the recycling bin.

There are just two things I'm kind of having issues with. One is a beautiful, antique, orange silk shawl I got from my opera company. I wore it in my first Verdi opera and then bought it because it really has become too delicate for stage use even though our costume mistress spent a lot of time trying to restore it. It currently graces a chair in my bedroom, but I fear for it and am trying to find a better place to display it where it will be safe if there is such a place in my section of the house.

The other problem is a kitchen table and chairs that my aunt is loaning me. It's vintage and my aunt has informed me that I'm dead if anything happens to it. I'm faced with a choice - to Bitter Apple or Not to Bitter Apple. I don't know if the Bitter Apple will affect the finish on the 60+ year old wood, but I really don't want to risk it becoming a snack not only because I don't want to have my aunt complaining at me, but because I don't know what the paint contains.

The dog is nearly five and, by all accounts, not destructive at all. The foster home has had her for about four months and there have been no incidents of shiba demolition outside of garbage excavation. She seems like a pretty "chill" shiba over all. So, what would you do?

Comments

• edited October 2008
    Personally, I'd keep my eye on her at all times and designate her a crate / room / or exercise pen when you can't watch her :) [ or at least until the furniture is gone or you have an idea on if she'll chew on them or not ]~
  • edited November -1
    4 months and no destruction likely means she doesn't have any interest in chewing on things she shouldn't. Just keep an extra close eye on her if she comes near your chair. As long as you watch and provide plenty of things she can chew on, I doubt you'll have any problems. I'd say you won't need Bitter Apple, some pups even like the taste of it!

I second Osy's suggestion of a crate or ex-pen. It's the best way to prevent unwanted destruction and accidents. :)
  • edited November -1
    Beebe chewed regardless of the awful taste of the bitters, she made her icky shiba face the entire time so I know she tasted it, but she is a determined chewer. I have a barley twist antique oak table and chairs that is surrounded by an ever sporty ex-pen whenever I am not able to view her directly and it has survived with no marks but I always have to have the ex-pen in the house just to be sure, even after 1.5 years. That's a nice chair.
  • edited November -1
    Oh, I had some of my smaller silks framed as art pieces and had them mounted on the walls or draped on curtain rods. In fact, after the shibas, I mounted lots of things on the walls (my walls are a little crowded but no teeth marks.)
  • edited November -1
    I've had no success in preventing my Beaver Shiba from chewing his way through a set of kitchen furniture, a shoe rack, and some dining room chairs. He hates the taste of bitter apple, but still chews anyways. The crate comes in handy so he doesn't eat the whole set of table and chairs.
  • edited October 2008
    Some pups definitely get desensitized to bitter apple. I don't have a destructive dog, thank goodness -but I use the bitter spray to keep Tsuki's allergy itching under control. It worked for a few days tops... then again the urge for her to itch may be stronger than a dogs possibly casual urge to chew on furniture when they have a toy to substitute. Honestly, your dog sounds like it might be just like Tsuki, completely indifferent to the idea of chewing. Good luck!
  • edited October 2008
    Just because she hasn't been destructive in 4 months doesn't mean she won't... as I have found with my darling new adoptee who was here since May with NO destructive tendencies until yesterday.
    Stress can make a good dog act badly, environment changes and new people bring on a lot of stress in most shibas, especially adult rescues, in my experiences anyway.

-Buy the bitter apple, you may need it. It can be a preventative on that table and chair set, or you may want to spray it once you see her displaying interest in it. One of my dogs likes the spray, I've yet to see whether or not Hachi does.
    -Buy an appropriately sized crate or designate an area for a pen (since most every dog from NYCSR is crate trained), better safe than sorry to confine her when you cannot observe her during the first couple months. This will also be a 'den' for her, a safe space.
    -Take anything of high value that you cannot live without and put it where the shiba will never be able to get to it. In my experience, dogs (any breed I've cared for) teach you patience and understanding. They teach you the value of life and not to get worked up about the little things - because in your life, will you miss unconditional love or the shawl? I'd miss the love, and I've lost many an object since experiencing such a love.
    -Buy a good deal of chew toys and plush toys that she can disembowel. Leave them within her reach so long as they are safe toys and then she'll have something that is hers to occupy her time. You will also need them to show her what is desirable for her to chew and what is not.
    -OH!Most importantly - keep her well exercised, give her lots of opportunities for running and sniffing, keep her mind active and occupied, then she won't have to resort to occupying herself or going stir crazy, which usually leads to damage!

I also have a lot of plastic containers around the house, inevitably there will be something that you cannot put up high or behind a cabinet door. Be prepared! Put valuables higher on the bookshelf, protect your clothes and shoes. We have a little stand where we put our shoes, Tsuki loves to eat shoes so we took and put a window screen over the opening of the stand so she couldn't get into it anymore. Its worked wonders!
    See:
    From Recent Pack and Hachi's destruction
    From Recent Pack and Hachi's destruction
    You'll be fine, when she comes home, you'll have a better idea of what you did and didn't do before hand, she'll show you what to protect and what will be just fine.

Can't wait to see little Tosca-bean at home!
  • edited November -1
    Joey seems to only chew things in his crate and Lucy has never been a big chewer. But she has chewed the corner of my kitchen cabinets. She did it while I was away on a business trip and my roommate was "watching" her. I think the point of all these comments is there simply are no guarantees. The best way to prevent a dog chewing on something you don't want them to is to make sure they don't have access to it, especially when you aren't around. Even if you are keeping an eye on them, Shibas are smart and all it takes is a split second for damage to be done. If you're concerned about the table, don't allow her access to it. Either gate off the room, or surround the table with an x-pen like Lindsay suggested.
This discussion has been closed.