A Funny Thing Happened On The Way To The Opera

edited October 2008 in General
I'd just gotten off the subway was walking to the opera house for the opening of La Traviata when I saw the two neighborhood Great Danes - a female and a male who has to be at least 4' tall at the shoulder. I love them. They are beautiful and sweet and impeccably trained. Their cool hippie guy owner is very proud of his dogs. He calls them his babies.

Anyway, they're walking along on the other side of the street when the enormous male slows, circles, and squats with his tail held straight. We know wants coming. As the Dane begins work on his sidewalk sculpture, a Chihuahua rounds the corner with his fashion victim owner. The Chihuahua is all set to attack and kill the Danes and charges. Plop. The Chihuahua shut up, backed up, and (I know, it's bad to anthropomorphize) looked dumbfounded. He continued to watch and looked up at his owner as if to say "Wooooooooah! That's bigger than me!" Now he was afraid of the Danes. His owner picked him up and looked at the Danes and their owner with disgust. "EWW! Your dog just shit!" she snapped as she tucked her dog under her arm. "Yeah, they do that sometimes," the Dane owner shrugged "and I bet your dog does too." She walked off after saying something stupid and the guy proceeded to take an industrial strength pooper scooper out of a bag he'd been carrying. As I stood waiting to cross the street, the guy with the Great Danes met me at the corner and dropped the grocery bag of Dane poo in the trash and off they went off, leaving me very thankful that Shibas are so small.

I love New York.

Comments

• edited November -1
    That's all kinds of awesome.

I think that's the one thing that's always kept me from having bigger dogs. I remember when I was growing up, a neighbor down the street had two Great Danes and a Pyrenees as their "inside" dog. I don't even want to think about what their back yard looked like.
  • edited November -1
    I love big dogs. The first dog I ever wanted to have was a Great Dane, I guess I grew out of it, but I still like them a lot and am always impressed by them.
    Since this is about Danes and has a bit of a graphical nature it reminds me of a Dane we saw last year at a dog show. He was sitting on his person's lap! while having his front paws on the floor! He got tired of that so he stood up to let us see his family jewels. Those things were the size of tennis balls!
  • edited November -1
    Not you're point, but I LOVE the opera. I used to have a Duet membership (You know, the one for individuals 25 to 35 at a discount) at the NYC Opera. My husband is not a fan, but La Traviata is one of my faves. I took my old boss to see that one...of course, I cried.

My boy is an Olympic Pooper too, but I'm sure his hills would pail to a Dane's mountains.
  • edited November -1
    LOL, very funny story Nancy!
  • edited November -1
    LOL!!! thats great! Our neighbor has a dane/mastiff mix. Holy Lord does that dog make some mountains! Sadly, his owners aren't as diligent as your hippie friend...
  • edited November -1
    That's a great story! lol. Thanx!

----
  • edited November -1
    haha! At first, I though the dane was actually going to poop on the chihuaha! :x ~
  • edited November -1
    I was thinking the same thing Osy.
  • edited November -1
    lol I'm glad I wasn't the only one Dave. ~