Co Q-10

edited October 2008 in General
Co(enzyme) Q-10 is said to
"Coenzyme Q-10 is a key factor in the creation of energy in every cell of our body. Without energy, the cell can not do the work it was designed to do. It can not even carry out the basic function of staying alive. Listed below are some of the wonderful things researchers have shown that Coenzyme Q-10-supplementation helps the body to do: overcome cancer, reverse heart failure, eliminate periodontal (dental) disease, increase the response of the immune system by several hundred percent to: bacteria, yeast and virus attack, heal gastric ulcers, improve physical stamina and muscle performance, reduce cancer incidence and severity, improve healing time, and extend the life span. For dogs and cats."
-http://www.healthypets.com/coenzymeq.html

Has anyone ever used/heard of use of this product in a dog? Particularly an older dog, 6+?
thank you.

Comments

• edited November -1
    Wow. That sounds WAAAAAYYYY to good to be true. Why not claim it makes your dog invincible too? (j/k)

Did they provide any scientific backing for that? Some references perhaps?
  • RyuRyu
    edited November -1
    I haven't used it in animals but I've read that it has the same benefits for humans. It's highly recommended in the books written by Dr. Mehmet Oz (Oprah doctor)
  • edited November -1
    I take it as part of a daily supplement. It helps with energy and stamina. I don't know about in dogs though.
  • edited November -1
    Where do you find the human version?
  • edited November -1
    At any CVS, Walgreens, Rite Aid, Etc.

I get mine at the Vitamin Shoppe which is right around the corner from my work.
    www.vitaminshoppe.com
    You can also buy online.
  • edited November -1
    I take Co Q-10 for circulation and to help prevent migraines. I dunno that it does anything, but it has not effected me negatively in any way.

----
  • edited November -1
    This is what I take:

Ultimate Omega +CoQ10

I like it because I get Omega-3 and Co Q-10. I also take the Complete Omega-3.6.9 because it gives 6 & 9, but you have to be careful not to take to much 6 & 9, but you can take all the 3 you want [that is why I double it].

Also, our dogs freaking love eating these gell-caps. Might be a good way to give it to a dog.

----
  • edited November -1
    Nemo is always on some form of fish oil, currently Tuna oil capsules. He also gets acidophilus everyday to help keep his GI Tract running smooth, Trader Joe's brand. Vitamin E once a week to help with proper absorption of the fish oil.

Outside of that he rotates on Standard Process Supplements. Three different ones at a time:

http://www.standardprocess.com/display/vetcanineform.spi
  • edited November -1
    In my reading, it seems oily fish (like sardines) carry natural Co Q-10.

I'm reading available published records for scientific claims, there aren't many readily available on the internet.
    My uncle took it before it was widely marketed backed in the 90's. He swore that it helped him live an additional 7 basically healthy years being HIV+. So through this, I base my extreme interest in using it for a physically and immunologically damaged dog.
    I wouldn't be able to give it to him until the end of his other treatments, but I would want to see if it helped his cell function, energy and stamina in conjunction with something like Cosequin RS and a multivitamin.
    I'm not building an invincible dog (although their claims would make it seem as though you could), I'm just trying to save a badly damaged dog who still has many years in his life and lots of life in those years.

http://www.coenzymeq10.com.au/page/summary_of_research.html
    http://www.mskcc.org/mskcc/html/69186.cfm
    http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/druginfo/natural/patient-coenzymeq10.html
    http://www.umm.edu/altmed/articles/coenzyme-q10-000295.htm#Dietary Sources
  • edited November -1
    Thanks Brad! I'll look into it!
  • edited November -1
    Never head of it with a dog, but my father takes Q-10. He's read it's good for people with diabetes & helps with cardiovascular system. ~
  • edited November -1
    Both my cats and dogs LOVE Sardines. They get them as treats.
  • edited November -1
    I'm with Dave, just a wee bit skeptical.
  • edited November -1
    Let me join Barb and Dave: I am skeptical such a "wonder" substance exists, or wouldn't we all be using it to ensure we have no illnesses, and maintain our youthfulness forever? Looks like it could improve the financial health of the manufacturers and marketers, however! Ain't capitalism wonderful?

Being the cynic I am, have only dabbled in supplements from time to time for myself or other family members (just the basics like calcium+D, niacin, Fe, etc.), but have rarely used anything besides just good old dog food with the current and past pooch. Many of the process foods claim to be laced with just the right kind of things for doggie health, too. For those using pre-processed food from the bag or can, may want to compare nutrients/vitamins/etc. before selecting the supplements so you maintain the "right" blend. I like the idea of "supplementing" with the real food (like the sardines comment above) that contains the nutrient/supplement that is desired. At least, you may be more confident there is something really there besides maybe a placebo.
  • edited November -1
    Bev - I totally understand. But the more studies that come out, the more I love to read both sides of the claims and I just think that alternative and homeopathic medicines are what my great-great relatives probably used in one form or another and I want to at least consider them before just taking the prescription order from a doctor, you know? Its a vicious cycle really, capitalism vs. truly trying to help your fellow man.
    BUT -
    Well we've decided to give it to him, at this point it could do nothing or improve his heart function so we're taking a chance on his behalf with the go ahead from our trusted vet.
    I hope to report good things if anyone is interested.

Thanks for all the input.

Has anyone used Cosequin RS?
    We are also going to be giving him this as well for his joints as he seems to be at least 4 years older than the shelter office manager decided and should get some joint protection.
  • edited November -1
    BRAD,

DOes it really help prevent Migraines.......Everyday I dread getting one. They dont happen often but everytime light reflects off a car, I think I am getting a migraine...I hate living like that
  • edited November 2008
    tsukisune-- Hey, I agree that it usually can't hurt and its worth a try. And if the body receives more nutrients, minerals, vitamins, etc. than it needs it simply flushes them out, for the most part. Part of my commentary was that I was mostly stunned by the wide variety of claims for this product! It seems we and all of our dogs should take it if these claims are all true!

Sorry for the seeming tirade (and so you know, one of my "jobs" for which I am paid is to pre-review advertising copy for promissory language, spurious claims, etc. --- Turns you into a skeptic!)...

Side note: We had good success with "supplemented" dog food for our previous dog, Joe. For example, the food laced with glucosamine and chondroitin seemed to help his arthritis or other kinds of apparent joint pain. Our brother-in-law vet from Portland also clued us to an occasional supplement which we used, but he seemed to more encourage the use on a short-run basis to "get over a hump"... Can't recall the specifics of these situations, now.
  • edited November -1
    I take it because I'm taking stantins and I've heard a lot of talk about how they deplete CoQ12 levels. You can get the supplement cheap from Costco.
  • edited November -1
    Jim: Thanks for the hint about the statins and affect on CoQ12 --- I will mention it to my hubby who has taken statins for years (first as a guinea pig in many studies, and now on Crestor via the doc)... He could probably use som CoQ12...
  • edited November -1
    The "flushing out" is true of water-soluble nutrients, but certain nutrients are stored in fat cells and can easily build up to toxic levels. CoQ10 is actually one of those fat-soluble nutrients, and I would make sure to keep the supplements on the lower side of dosing.