Trying to determine pup size

edited November 2008 in Shiba Inu (柴犬)
Hi all, ok, After a long drawn out process the wife and I decided to simply get another shiba pup. We saw one today, the pup is almost 11 weeks old, he was almost 8lbs....is this on the heavier side of a shiba tat his age?..trying to see if he will be on the bigger side of the shiba breed..like my sol who reached a solid 30lbs and he is a little taller than 15 inches at the withers.

Cheers!

Comments

• edited November -1
    Your best indicator of that pup's final size would be to see the sire and dam's size. Is it possible for you to find them?

Jesse
  • edited November -1
    Wow, 30lb at 15in? That's really solid. Beebe is 23lb/16in and Ike 24lb/16in. The parents are the best indicator of size unless there were some extra large/extra small grandparents.
  • edited November -1
    yeah...sol is big..here is a pick. As far as the parents go Im trying to get the info...but so far all I have to go on is current weight and age....but then again pup have growth spurts...
  • edited November -1
    Toby was 8lbs at 10 weeks old. And at 12 weeks old, he was 10lbs.

Now he is 11 months old and 35lbs +
  • edited November -1
    Oh my gosh. Those are big boys!
  • edited November -1
    I JUST started a thread about Mylie's size... She was about 5lbs at 8 weeks, and 8lbs around 12 weeks, now she's 9 months and almost 25lbs
  • edited November -1
    Where are these gigantic shibas coming from?!?!

Moto was 25lbs at 2 years and male.
  • edited November -1
    I know - Jazz is 17.5 at 5 years
  • edited November -1
    I keep forgetting how little Niko is. She is short (now sure numbers) and weighs between 16-18 pounds. And the vet thinks she has a little too much meat on her. We will see her weight soon because her yearly is due. She is 3 years.
  • edited November -1
    Please let me say, big isn't bad. Only if you are showing which I know you aren't. I am just startled at how many big shibas keep popping up.
  • edited November -1
    Ninja was 12 lbs. at 4 months. He is 15 months now and weighs 22 lbs.
  • edited November -1
    Lucy was 13 pounds at 7 months, and now (almost 2 years old) she weighs 16 pounds.

Joey was 8.5(ish) pounds at 9 weeks, he grew steadily to 20 pounds at 5 months, and I believe has topped out between 26 and 27 pounds at 10 months.
  • edited November -1
    Miso is turing one year old in a few weeks and he barely hit 20lbs. He is a small boy.
  • edited November -1
    wow, my shibas are midgets compared to the shibas on the forum!
    tsuki is 18lbs at 17 months and Kitsu is 21.6lbs at 24 months. I think Hanzo will end up being the same as Kitsune as they are similar in stature when he gets his weight back (he's currently at 16 lbs and gaining!)
  • edited November -1
    my Aiko is 5 lbs 2 oz at 10 weeks!! Aiko seems to definitely be on the smaller size in comparison what you guys are saying about your pups!
  • edited November -1
    Hey Jennifer,
    I'm sure you may have read it many times on this forum, but the food you feed her matters. Ichi was at 4 lbs at 8 weeks, and 8 lbs at 12. He's holding at 10.1lbs at 16 weeks right now, so don't worry, Aiko sounds like she's doing just fine.

Also, the breed standard has females smaller than males so don't worry too much about the size of your little one.

Jesse
  • edited November -1
    we got Tsuki when she was approx 13 weeks and she was only 7lbs, and she is still on the small side now at 17 months old. People comment on how 'skinny' she is, but she is at a healthy weight on a healthy frame. Female should be smaller (if she was bred according to the breed standard).
  • edited November -1
    Hokkaido's right at 12 weeks and he's almost 11 lbs right now.
This discussion has been closed.