This one's for LJ...

edited January 2009 in Shiba Inu (柴犬)
So...
I knew I shouldn't have been giving LJ such a bad time about resurrecting Jazz's venge poop. I have to say I got away relatively light in comparison.

Many new owners and prospective owners are intrigued by the Shiba and sometimes are caught off guard by just how intelligent they are (especially when they are bored).

When I woke up on Saturday morning, I walked out to let Ichi out only to find this.
From Mischievous Shiba
From Mischievous Shiba

So, fearing the worst, I was grumbling that I'll have to buy a new foam bed for his crate at Petsmart thinking he had torn a hole into this one and rendered it useless.

Oh no, my dear friends. My Ichi was too kind for that. The little bugger unzipped the size of the foam bed so he can get to the yummy white foam and kill it.

From Mischievous Shiba
From Mischievous Shiba

So remember my dear owners, new and prospective alike. No matter how much you challenge the mental capacity of a Shiba, they will always find ways to let you know you were measured and analyzed, and are still left wanting.

Jesse

Comments

• edited January 2009
    Karma is a b*tch! lol :)

Just LOVE Ichi's naughty face haha ~
  • edited November -1
    Ichi just wanted some indoor snow! :P
  • edited November -1
    I love Ichi!
  • edited November -1
    Ichi looks so proud of his conquest! He is such a cute boy!
  • edited November -1
    I take back my laughter about dogs not having thumbs. Ichi proved they don't need them.
  • edited November -1
    tee hee. he's laying there all "hey pal, clean up time"
  • edited November -1
    Nola does that. She unzips EVERYTHING. But she is not so kind as to only shred part of the foam. She will take the foam out of the cover and demolish it.

We had a collapsible canvas crate for Bella once... She learned how to unzip it. Once we started locking it (with the plastic clip that is included), she learned how to take the zipper pull off the zipper and pry the two sides apart to get out. These dogs are freaking incredible. :)
  • edited November -1
    And now it gets interesting...

I woke up this morning to find 4 inches of zipper teeth gone from the bed. So the bed is now toast. However, the dog pottied and ate just fine but I am a bit worried because I can't find the zipper teeth and I'm thinking he ate it. I'll keep you guys updated but I'm going to call the vet today and see what comes of it if I see any changes in his condition.

Friggin dog...

Jesse
  • edited November -1
    Jesse, my dear, you have learned a valuable lesson. I mocked Jen (tsukitsune) and just a few days later I had the venge poop. It may have taken a few extra weeks for it to catch you, but oh the fun that Karma can have.
  • edited November -1
    Oh it's already happened LJ,
    Dog ate zipper teeth...

Jesse
  • edited November -1
    So now you must become a poop sifter.
  • edited November -1
    Practically the same title and responsibility I have to do at work:) Only the poop I sift through at work is beaurocratic B.S. Much stinkier and unhealthier to sift through.

Jesse
  • edited November -1
    Hahahaha. I love the way the foam pieces are distributed so evenly around him. Looks like he's gloating. :P

What a cutie!
  • edited November -1
    yeaaah. this whole karma thing is what I like to call a Nelson.

• edited November -1
    Anyone know if those small bits of plastic zipper teeth show up in an X-Ray? Ichi's behaving normally and having normal bowel movements and I'm not sensing an urgency from the forum in general regarding whether him eating 4" of zipper teeth fabric warrants immediate vetrinary attention or not.

Jesse
  • edited November -1
    Just keep an eye on him for now. You can give him some pumpkin to boost his fiber and get things moving if you are truly concerned. If he starts throwing up, acting funny, or his poop is liquid, go immediately to the vet.
  • edited November -1
    Thanks Jessica,
    Having discovered it this morning, his two bowel movements today have been rock solid. He often throws up a little water (or dry heaves) from drinking too much too fast. Other than not immediately urinating once we get outside (he walks a few feet more now), I will continue to monitor him.

Thanks,
    Jesse
  • edited November -1
    This vomit would be more significant. It would have food matter in it. Because it would be a sign of an obstruction of some kind.
  • edited November -1
    Oh great, he never actually lets stuff like that out. He usually does the heaving and then smacks his lips like he just re-ate what he just threw up. I got the agreement from the better half. He's going to the vet for an x-ray.

Thanks everyone!
    Jesse
  • edited November -1
    Hopefully it'll work out ok Jesse. ~
  • edited November -1
    he'll probably be fine. I could write a short essay on the amount of non edible crap our shibas have ingested..
    **keep us updated, Jesse**
  • edited January 2009
    Hey guys,
    So sorry for the delay, but I went to the vet during walk-in hours on Tuesday. We were taken to an examination room to wait for her. I also brought the chewed bed so our vet could better assess what he has done. While we were waiting I put Ichi on the examination table on top of his bed so I could work and train with him to relax at the vet (last few times he was there he was a nervous wreck and reacted badly to all the female vet techs). Well, the pictures below show what a well behaved patient he was waiting for the vet (I mostly attribute it to having his bed). The proof is in the pictures below.

After about 10 minutes my vet arrived and she didn't realize that the zipper teeth were plastic (zipper itself was metal/pewter). I assured her that there was no knot in the portion that the dog ate so she suggested we do a "wait and see" approach (we don't know whether he ate it whole or in pieces). Her concern was, if whole, a knotted material could possibly block the passageway from the stomach to the small intestine and could result in intestinal hemorraging if left alone (I know, scary huh). She informed me that it takes about 3 days for a dog to work something through their digestive system so I should just closely monitor him for the next 3 days and return to her with any abnormal behavior (vomiting food, etc). After that, she saw how well behaved he was and gave him a treat from her treat jar (I couldn't necessarily refuse her, but it definitely wasn't something Ichi's had before).

Well, I left from work early to take him to the vet so I spent the remainder of the day at the dog park. Wouldn't you know it, I saw 3 other Shibas arrive! I saw a 41lbs lovable red named Henry, and his little 6 month old B&T sister Holly (picture below). I also saw an 8 month old bearish little spitfire named Bailey (who also lives at my apt complex). This was the first time I met the owners and we had a great time talking about our little rug rats and fawning over how beautiful each dog was.

Ichi was aloof/distant with them as is his usual MO. He would come over for a sniff when they pretended to ignore him but that was as much as his interest would go. As for the dogs, he tolerated them begrudgingly, but he was more nervous than he was fearful. It took him about 30 minutes of dogs passing by, sniffing, etc. to finally get comfortable. He threw up some food in the car on the way home from the dog park but I couldn't ascertain whether it was: 1.) not eating lunch (I didn't feed him per the suggestion of the vet tech for fear of possibly having to have him x-rayed) 2.)That one treat the vet gave him was something he's never eaten before so it may have been the straw that broke the camel's back to the other treats I was giving him while we were training at the vet. 3.) He was in the car for rides for far longer than I usually had him because I took him with me to the vet, to the dog park, and then to go pick up my partner which was a lot more time in the car than he was used to. He hasn't repeated it since. His appetite is normal and his stool has been consistent. Long story short, I think we're ok (knock on chewed up wood).

Sorry, but all the pics were taken with my phone so forgive the quality.
  • edited November -1
    Oh, him being such a good boy at the scary Vet Dr.
  • edited November -1
    Glad to hear the vet isn't too concerned. I think you're right about your assessment of the vomit in the car. I've been told if there's an obstruction, the vomiting is quite drastic.
  • RyuRyu
    edited November -1
    Love the pictures Jesse! I'm thinking we should bring Roxy's bed everytime we go to the vet! lol :)
This discussion has been closed.