Taking the Shiba Camping

edited February 2009 in Shiba Inu (柴犬)
So, in about a month, there's a bit of a spring break camping trip coming up. Me and my Fiance were invited and are wanting to go. We are aware of the preliminary courtesies. Thing's like bring plenty of plastic bags for the dogs "elimination" also, of course, bring not just enough food, but a bit extra. Treats for good behavior, and I'm thinking tap water at a campsite will be sufficient for her. She has rope to be tied to a tree during out door activities, and a zip close tent for night time.

I'm also thinking about thing's which seem foolish to me, but thing's for bug bites for humans, good for a dog? or nontoxic bug repellent it will keep the bug's off the dog, but should it bother the dog? I need to know my dog's bases are covered, but if it comes down to it, I'm not without a car and a debit card!

Comments

• edited November -1
    My only suggestion is to keep the pup's feeding times the same as when you feed at home. I don't think mosquitos will bother a dog - they find humans much more tasty.
  • edited November -1
    They do make bug sprays for dogs. I can't remember the names of them though. They were pretty popular here this summer as the mosquitos were really bad. I also *think* you can use non-deet based bug sprays that are made for humans.
  • edited November -1
    if you are going somewhere that mosquito bites are possible, make sure your shiba is on a heartworm preventative! And if ticks are possible, make sure you have her on flea/tick preventative. Its worth it!

When we do a weekend long hiking trip, I don't worry so much about bug repellent for the dogs as I do the parasite preventatives.
  • edited November -1
    good call Tsukitsune! She's on Advantage Multi so she should be covered, and the trip will a week after her monthly. My concern is largely thing's like, central floridas native Brown Recluse and Brown Widow spider population but, those nearly kill humans.. .sadly there wouldn't be much hope for the dog. :(

BUT, definitely got her on flea/tick/heartworm stuff.

While we're on this note, camping stories anyone?
  • edited February 2009
    I agree with the others, that lyme and hw protection are a must and in some cases giardia (sp?).

Personally, I wouldn't use a rope or leash to tie a dog up (I lost more leashes that from Cody trying to break free). So four our camping trips I got a tie-out (non-chewable coated metal line attached to an inground stake). The advantages: No more chewed leashes, and he didn't get tangled up like he did w/ a leash.

This is pretty similar to what I have
  • edited November -1
    I use one of those for when we are in the yard so Jazz can be with us, but not attached via the leash.
  • edited November -1
    http://www.thepetcenter.com/exa/sb.html

Be alert to winter sunning of reptiles who sometimes slower and a bit more grumpy.

Snf
  • edited November -1
    Whenever we take the pups camping, we always bring crates for the dogs. No matter what. You would be surprised how fast a dog (especially a Shiba) can chew through (or even bring down) a nylon or canvas tent. Plus, if the dog is feeling a bit overwhelmed with all the outdoors, then he can go to his 'safe' place in the crate.

Unless you know for a fact that the campsite has running water that is potable, I would bring water. Unfortunately, I know this from experience. A couple of summers ago, we went hiking and were planning on using filtered river water for both us and Bella... However, due to a bad drought in the area, the river was completely dried up. We had to end up filtering reservoir water that even after being filter was still a bit sketchy.

I would definitely suggest bringing about an extra cup of food per day. Especially if you are going to be hiking or walking. Dogs (like humans) will burn more calories during higher activity.

I would also bring some baby wipes. They can come in very hand to wipe off muddy paws and stinky smells.

Last but not least, I would bring an extra leash and collar (or harness). This could come in handy for many reasons, least of all if your primary leash gets torn or ends up with a broken clasp.
  • edited November -1
    Camping was one of the first major things I did with Tetsu, before Tikaani was around. We took a trip to Maine to see what the Lobster fest was all about, as well as have fun in another state. We brought Tetsu's crate, several toys and a dog bed that is too small for him now. We set up the tent and walked around that camp grounds, of which we found out that there was an older shiba at a neighboring campsite.

We spent a whole day, practically, at the Lobsterfest or in the surrounding area, and had a blast. Bumped into another shiba puppy at the fest that was 2 weeks older than Tetsu. Back at the campsite, we lit a fire and made s'mores, Tetsu slept in his bed next to me. We made sure that he couldn't get closer than 2 or 3 feet of the fire.

We plan to go camping several times this year, which we'll be doing at the meet up in WI, and will be having two dogs with us. Definitely, we're going to use the tie-outs that Darwin mentions, just need to get new ones since my mother stole and destroyed mine. Just be sure to check the cords over before and after each use, sometimes the plastic can rub off and that makes a weak spot, as well as being potentially dangerous, in the cord. Try to also keep it coiled up, like how they have it in the package, to prolong the life of the cord. Also, make sure that wherever you tie up the pup, that she doesn't get too close to the edge of the site. People aren't always careful when driving past sites, or your pups can become a nuisance or bullied by the neighboring campers(Our direct camp neighbors were hammered and high).

Plan out how your going to have everything before you pitch the tent, makes it so much easier. Oh, and make sure you know a location to at least one major food or department store(Wal-mart) in relation to the camp grounds, in case you forget something or a minor emergency comes up. Once, we forgot to bring food for ourselves as we were more focused on not forgetting Tetsu's food. Sometimes a check list helps.

Bring Towels, for yourselves and the dogs. If it is rainy or really humid out, you'll need a towel to wipe the dogs and your shoes/feet before entering the tent or car. At the end, you can also use it to clean up any gunk that may have tracked into the tent.
  • edited November -1
    I LOVE camping and some of my favorite memories are the many camping trips I took with Cody. He was a well traveled experienced camper and lived for those moments when we would go out in the middle of nowhere and he could just be a dog and run his little heart out. He was also the source of many a migraine....from the time he put his nose in the middle of a bees nest, to the time he ran from the river through the mud and directly on top of my sleeping bag, to nearly causing a deer to stampede through our tent....ah the memories!

In his advanced years, he couldn't take those trips anymore and stayed home with our pet sitter....I so missed having his company. I'm now looking forward to camping season again as I'll be bringing a new pup along and having the joy of introducing my new friend to the great outdoors!!!
  • edited November -1
    Don't forget a first aid kit for yourselves as well as the pups :D
  • edited November -1
    okiron, that's another good point. as far as a first aid kit goes, what kind of thing's for the dog might you guys suggest? most of the generic bug/skin ointment stuff goes both ways, just wondering if there's anything dog specific you can think of.

-Josh
  • edited November -1
    Found this list on http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=2+1677&aid=2881

Important Phone Numbers
    • Veterinary clinic phone number and directions to the clinic
    • Emergency clinic phone number and directions
    • Poison control center phone numbers

Equipment and Supplies
    • Muzzle, or roll of gauze for making a muzzle
    • Magnifying glass
    • Scissors
    • Tweezers
    • Nail clippers and metal nail file
    • Styptic powder or sticks, Kwik Stop, or cornstarch
    • Penlight
    • Nylon slip leash
    • Eye dropper or oral syringe
    • Cotton swabs
    • Cotton balls
    • Clean towels - cloth and paper
    • Rectal thermometer
    • Lubricant such as mineral oil or KY Jelly (without spermicide)
    • Disposable gloves
    • Syringes of various sizes
    • Needle-nose pliers or hemostats
    • Grease-cutting dish soap
    • Bitter Apple or other product to discourage licking
    • Pet carrier
    • Towel or blanket to use as a stretcher, another to keep your dog warm during transport (some pharmacies and camping outlets carry a thermal blanket)
    • Cold packs and heat packs (wrap in towel before using)
    • Stethoscope
    Bandaging Materials
    • Square gauze of various sizes - some sterile
    • Non-stick pads
    • First aid tape - both paper (easily comes off of skin) and adhesive types
    • Bandage rolls - gauze and Vetwrap
    • Band-Aids (for humans)

Nutritional Support
    • Rehydrating solution such as Gatorade or Pedialyte
    • Nutritional supplement such as Nutri-Cal, Vitacal, or Nutristat
    • High sugar source: Karo syrup

Medicines*
    • Wound disinfectant such as Betadine or Nolvasan
    • Triple antibiotic ointment for skin
    • Antibiotic ophthalmic ointment for eyes, e.g., Terramycin
    • Eye wash solution
    • Sterile saline
    • Antidiarrheal medicine such as Pet Pectate
    • Buffered or canine aspirin
    • Diphenhydramine (Benadryl) for allergic reactions
    • Cortisone spray or cream, such as Itch Stop
    • Ear cleaning solution
    • Hydrogen peroxide (used to make a dog vomit)
    • Activated charcoal to absorb ingested poisons (consult your veterinarian before using)

*Watch the expiration dates on any medication, and replace as needed.
  • edited November -1
    Duct Tape! :0)
  • edited November -1
    wow KFontaine04, that's incredible.. I just printed that out, I may not use it line for line, but it has a ton of great suggestions!
  • edited November -1
    Yeah, I just found it online. Of course it's a bit extensive, but there are things in there that might be good to have!
  • edited November -1
    I'd probably buy a first aid kit (for a human) and modify it as necessary to accomodate an animal as well.

I've purchased one of these for our disaster kit:

http://www.nwmedicalsolutions.com/cat_first_responder.cfm

Also, don't forget, that some of these items (peroxide, medicines (aspirins), creams, etc.) do expire and need to be replaced!
  • edited November -1
    I was just looking up heartworm stuff in Dr. Pitcairn's book, and came across this:

Natural Insect Repellent: Rub one drop eucalyptus oil, diluted in one cup of warm water, over the muzzle and in the area between anus and genitals (favorite mosquito biting areas). Be careful to avoid rubbing the oil on the sensitive tissues of eyes and mucus membranes.

(pg.358, Complete Guide to Natural Health for Dogs&Cats, 3rd edition)
  • edited November -1
    I've heard that pantyhose is another good thing to carry around. You can chop loops and slide the pieces over injured body parts. This is supposed to help keep the injuries from getting any worse until you can get proper bandaging, as well as cover the bandages.

I saw an example performed on a lab, so they were able to get it over both paws and head. Not sure that it would fit well on shiba paws, but it should fit nicely over the head, and could possibly be used to keep the leg bound to the body.
  • edited November -1
    We went tent camping with the kids last July, it was fun because we had everything we needed.

Definately yes on the non-rope tie out with the screw in the ground design and chew proof line.
    There are bandanas infused with tick/mosqito repelant you can get for the dogs, they are brightly colored so no one can mistake them for a real fox.
    Duct tape
    Rescue remedy to help them forget the scary outdoor noises when they are in the Tolgie Woods and you are trying to sleep.
    A comfy dog bed
    Benadryl, tweezers, vet wrap

Happy camping!
  • edited March 2009
    I can't wait to go camping again!!!

I have nothing super useful to add... but my mom recently suggested that we collect our dryer lint in a baggy to use as a fire starter - ignites quickly and burns hot! Can't wait to try it out :o)

Found this online and I might consider trying it, but I'm not entirely sure how to light the bundle once it has wax..

"A friend showed me how to melt used candles/wax in a coffee can in a pan of simmering water. Stuff the lint into cardboard egg cartons. Carefully, pour the melted wax over the lint. Let dry then use a couple of the "lint/wax eggs" as fire starters in the fireplace. We have used these for 3-4 years .They work just fine. "
  • edited November -1
    Hmmm..I've seen the same premise for fire-starters, only the recipe I have is for sawdust...I've never tried personally, but I do know they work (better to use parafin wax I think)...and since lint is a never ending supply and a heck of a lot easier to find than sawdust I may need to finally give it a try! Gotta love moms...they are like the original wikipedia!
  • edited March 2009
    I think you must have to lite the lint part, or maybe make a lint wick.

edit: lint is gross, I'm sticking with matches.
This discussion has been closed.