Jindo

edited March 2009 in Other Breeds
Anyone have any experience with the Jindo? Tell me about them if you know anything. Are there US breeders?

Comments

• edited November -1
    Patrice (Static N Fuzz), a forum member, has rescued a few Jindo - hopefully she will see this, or you could whisper to her.
  • edited March 2009
    Hi Kevin:

Selecting a breeder of Jindos in the U.S. is not easy. Quality dogs are held within the Korean community. Southern Cal. has a Club I believe but it is not well announced. You really need to know someone. Also the way the dogs are kept is looked down upon by an American pet standard. Most Jindos are outside animals even the better bred ones. It does not mean the dogs are less healthy but there is a cultural difference in how they are raised. Also there are differences in physical type or style of dog depending on the lines. Your best bet in finding a Jindo is searching the shelters. I have seen some nice examples come in, simply because there are too many dogs in a household or a dog happens to escape their chain or yard or the dog is left after a family moves out.

The breed is high energy and likes to run. I have seen all different personalities from laid back, bold, timid/shy, to aggressive. Each is a individual. Like most of the Nihon Ken, Jindos are picky about making dog friends and do claim their territory. Integrations need to be done carefully when bringing multiple dogs together. Generally they are pretty easy to potty train as they tend to be tidy, but they do require a bit of exercise. I do know of a runner who would train with Jindos by his side 4 hrs a day and none of the dogs were the worse for wear.

Snf

Here is some info so you can review about the breed:

http://www.jindorescue.org/info1.html

http://www.jindo-dog-rescue.org/

http://www.jindo-dog-rescue.org/

http://www.kang.org/Jindo.html

http://wiki.galbijim.com/Jindo_dog

http://www.treasuredk9s.org/Home/tabid/36/Default.aspx

Here is an example of a handsome male that is currently in a MD Shelter. Apparently very friendly, but a bit sad that he was given up.
  • edited November -1
    Thst is a beautiful dog.
  • edited November -1
    Hi Kevin,

We adopted a wonderful girl from the Shiba Recue in Texas last September. We thought she was a large Shiba, but after we brought her home, she just didn't fit the Shiba mold nor was she likeother shibas we have owned in the past. After much research, we discovered that she is a Korean Jindo. She is about 2-3 years old? Tsuki is her name and we adore her! She is one of the sweetest dogs I have ever met. She is very charecteristic of the breed, smart, loyal, energetic and we have recentely found out very protective of her home. (She pinned my pest guy on the couch outside and would not let him leave). She is a red or fawn color and about 38 lbs. We have since fallen hard for the Jindo.
    We also recently brought home a male Shikoku puppy, Taro, from Akashima Kennel and their have been BFFs ever since they have laid eyes on each other! We have also fallen hard for the Shikoku!
    There are pictures from my thread "my first shikoku" on this forum back in January. That will also fill you in on some of our story. Please let me know if you have any questions, I'd be happy to talk about my fur-kids.
    I may be out of touch for a couple of days as my sons Spring Break is next week and we plan on skiing!
  • edited November -1
    I believe my Yoshi is a Jindo. He was very friendly before he got neutered. After the neutering, he became aggressive to other animals, very territorial and shy with other people (including my family). Before that, he was the model dog. Weird.

Yoshi is a one person dog, and I'm the one person. I'm the only one he welcomes when I come home. He's restless when I'm at work or out w/ friends (from what my family tells me). He pretty much paces between rooms till I get back.

Yoshi isn't very playful, and when he wants to play, it's not for very long. He gets bored with any game usually within 5 mins. He prefers a brisk walk going at least 3.5 mph. Anything slower, and he thinks we're in hunting mode. He's not affectionate but you'll know if he likes you.

Because he was a stray when we got him, he has a bad habit of sniffing the kitchen trash. If something catches his attention and I catch him in the act, he runs off to the living room and tries to sneak back into the kitchen. Sometimes he'll debate with me with various growls and vocalizations as if to say "C'mon! Lemme have it. Please!" And when the answer's now, he'll growl and walk away.

He's highly intelligent and a fast learner. Initially, when I taught him basic obedience, it took a while. I assume that's because he was still figuring out who was leading who. Once that was squared away, teaching him things like shaking hands, walking on his hind legs, etc. took about 10 mins. By the following day, he had it down.

Anyway, I'm sick as hell right now, so sorry if what I typed didn't make much sense. The main thing is Jindo's are very smart, very clean (Yoshi will not go bathroom on wet dirt), very loyal and very headstrong. They're independent but need to be part of your pack. They're very agile and can easily scale a fence. Yoshi has some insane turn on a dime at full speed thing going on. He plants his front paws down, and swings his rear to how much he wants to turn and he's off again.

I got to see that when he was on a play date w/ my neighbor's akita, Mochi. Mochi was in hot pursuit of Yoshi, and Yoshi decided to lose him. He got up to top speed and pulled a 180 and jumped over Mochi. When he landed, he acted all nonchalant.
  • edited November -1
    i was almost going to rescue a jindo, but the jindo and my shiba were very agressive towards each other. otherwise, i dont know of any breeders in the US. I am also interested in this breed and would like to own one. My best bet might be raising one because it will be easier to integrate into my pack rather than adopting an older jindo. but i have heard that they are extremely smart and have incredible noses. Ive heard of a few stories of owners dropping their jindos off at a friends and the jindo escapes from the friends house and finds its way home on its own.
  • edited November -1
    Thanks, SNF, for your help. Like I said, they caught my eye and I'm still in the 'just looking' phase.