Long Haired Shiba, anyone ever seen one?

edited February 2009 in Shiba Inu (柴犬)
This topic was brought up on my meetup group board. Someone was inquiring if, "... a long-haired shiba has more or less value and how do they rate with the AKC? "

I've only seen one long haired Shiba. The dog, Kuma, is listed on dogster. He's a striking dog, but I'm completely baffled where this gene popped up from! I also wonder if the breeder stopped that line....

Anyways, I thought it was interesting and certainly a one of a kind (I hope ) shiba!

Complete Profile for Kuma: http://www.dogster.com/dogs/16282

Comments

• edited November -1
    I have seen one or two of them, I think only online, not in person. I'm not sure what AKC thinks.
  • edited November -1
    wow what the heck.. first is my first time seeing one.
  • edited November -1
    Yeah they do crop up from time to time. Some dogs have a recessive trait for it and if you breed to a dam with that same recessive gene then there is a probability that it will show up at some point.

Overall the Shibas eons ago were derived most likely from Chows or other primitive northern type dogs and bred down in size so again I am not surprised when it occurs.

This trait also occurs in Akitas too.

In terms of AKC it is not acceptable standard. The coat is required to be short.

Snf
  • edited November -1
    I know of Takumi (I love his puppy pics): http://www.dogster.com/dogs/764930
  • edited November -1
    Automatic DQ as far as AKC is concerned. Ditto for creams and other variants.
  • edited November -1
    The Shiba girl down the street from us was a long haired black and tan. Wicked cute and puffy!
  • edited November -1
    I wasn't aware of the Akita LH trait until we saw the dog up for adoption here in Washington.
  • edited November -1
    I never see in real a long hair Shiba.
    it's look beautyful!
  • edited November -1
    takumi is cute. I wonder if lond hairs shed diffrently?
  • edited November -1
    The undercoat is what is supposed to be excessively long, so I imagine that the blowing coat would be much worse, but I really wouldn't know for certain.
This discussion has been closed.