Offended at Neutering

edited April 2009 in General
Question, I've noticed that many people, especially males, seem to get defensive/offended at the thought of neutering. I am just curious to the thoughts behind this since I am for spay/neuter (at least in non-breeding animals), and am curious why people get more offended at the neuter than the spay.

just something that's been on my mind. any thoughts?

Comments

• edited November -1
    uh, cause dudes don't like to think about getting their nuts cut off....
  • edited November -1
    There are many reasons why people would not want to fix their pet dog. I am for getting your dog fixed, so I may sound a bit biased, but these are some of the reasons:

-because if you get a dog neutered, he will no longer have his manhood.

-because the natural look is better

-because it's not worth the expense, or too expensive.

-he will be a wussy dog after getting neutered.

-It makes him appear more threatening.

-it's easier to prevent pregnancy with an intact male than it is with a female.
  • edited November -1
    - It'll make him fat and inactive

^to add to Beth's list.
  • edited November -1
    interesting : )
    thanks
  • edited November -1
    BTW, in case it wasn't clear, NONE of these reasons are actually true. They can all be traced back to Jessica's argument...many men think their "manhood" is directly tied to that of their dog.
  • edited November -1
    i know they aren't factually true, just what people think. kind of like urban myths.
  • edited November -1
    lmfao @ Dave & Jessica. Well said! :) ~
  • edited November -1
    Actually, I've met women who were the same way about a dogs "manhood"
  • edited November -1
    I also know people who think it's not right or natural to "fix" animals.

I also know 1 person who refuses to because she had 2 dogs die from freak accidents and complications.
  • edited November -1
    me too, actually i was reading a blog that a woman who had a hysterectomy was guilty that she neutered her 4 year dog because he was a "virgin" and would never be truly happy. Honestly it doesn't stop them from doing things it just stops them from having puppies. Though I am pretty sure it lowers their desire.
  • edited November -1
    Interestingly enough, I just thought of something else. Religious people will sometimes refuse to alter their pets. They feel it isn't "right" to tamper with an animal's body as far as there is no reason to. [ NOTE: Obviously, not ALL religious people are like this, but I have heard some state this before ]

I understand their sentiment, however, accidents do happen. Better safe than sorry. ~
  • edited November -1
    I think it's another form of anthropomorphism.
    Most people don't like to think about their own sterilization, so they project that onto their pets.
    It's one more of the many mistakes people make when relating to their pets.
  • edited November -1
    I spent some time in Naples with a family I knew from Canada who were living there because the father was int he Navy. I noticed there were a LOT of stray dogs and was told that the people there felt it was taking away a dog's rights to have it neutered. Noah was against neutering at first, too, but decided it was okay after I explained the benefits to him. Oddly enough, my mother-in-law pretty much only likes male animals and likes them less if they're neutered. Melvin isn't gelded and I want him to be gelded (because I want him to be with other animals and intact males can injure other animals with their "advances") and she is really resistant to the idea.

On a forum I used to go to, there was a Jewish member who didn't believe in neutering animals because it's against Jewish tradition to alter an animal's body in any unless it's absolutely necessary. He had one dog that was neutered when he got it, but says he wouldn't have neutered him if he wasn't already, and he had a cat who had litter after litter of kittens who he refused to spay. He got a lot of flack for it.
  • edited November -1
    Yeah these people are pretty much confused about what a dog is and what makes a dog happy. Whatever the reason, it is inappropriate anthropomorphicism that does not put the dog's best interests at heart.

Dogs have much better lives when owners are able to make hard decisions about them.
  • edited November -1
    I think that Jewish forum member had a very old-school interpretation of the tradition. All of the jewish laws are qualified with "unless it is necessary for health." For example, fasting on one of the holidays isn't required if you have a health problem that would make it dangerous. An obvious example would be diabetes; however, I think the vast majority of modern interpretations would say if you have the flu and need food and liquids to keep your strength it is ok too. I would argue the same applies for the health of the dog. Neuter it for its own good.
  • edited November -1
    I have noticed a lot of younger...well for lack of better words "wanna be thugs" who keep their dogs un-neutered just so they can walk around looking mach-o with their dogs and their balls are hanging to the ground. (along with their pants they can't pull up or find a belt).

Kids these days...geez.
  • edited November -1
    You know what I say about people like that, they're either too small or not that good so they must compensate for it.
  • edited November -1
    LOL Beth!
  • edited November -1
    So what exactly are all the benefits of neutering? I haven't gotten my shiba neutered and I haven't really planned on doing it. I know they can get cancer and to help with the pet population, but is that it?
  • edited November -1
    Getting a dog fixed can also help:

-reduce the desire to mark areas inside the house

-keeps male dogs from trying to run away in an attempt to go after a female in heat.

-Accidents can happen, even to the most vigilant, so the easiest think to prevent pregnancy is to eliminate the risk.

-Some intact males have a higher territorial sense and may be more likely to get into arguments with other dogs.
  • edited November -1
    Um, no offense but seriously? Is that it? Isn't that enough?
  • edited November -1
    As a guy.........I'm going with what Jessica said.........the boys stay!!....lol.

We went to the vet and discussed it but we choose to leave Oliver intact....He's already way to mellow.
  • edited November -1
    The Benefits of Spaying or Neutering Your Pet
    Spaying and neutering refer to the surgical sterilization of an animal. In other words, spaying and neutering ensures that your pet cannot reproduce.

Most vets will perform this surgery on a pet that is at least 5 or 6 months old. It is best to have this surgery done before your pet reaches sexual maturity. Females should be spayed before their first heat. Note that some vets will also perform pediatric spay/neuter. Please consult with your vet.

We all have a responsibility to prevent unwanted animals from being euthanized everyday, simply because there are no homes for them. Even if your pet has a litter and you find homes for all of them, each of those pets takes a potential home away from other homeless pets waiting in a shelter. But aside from this responsibility, there are also significant health benefits for your pet.

Benefits of Spaying

* Prevents pregnancy and the complications arising from pregnancy and delivery

* Eliminates the heat cycle - you won't have to listen to the sounds of your female in heat, trying to get out and find a mate

* Prevents unwelcome males from trying to seek out your female pet in heat

* Reduces the urge to roam. This makes it less likely that you will lose your pet, which in turn makes your pet less likely to contract a disease, get in a fight, get injured, or become a victim to cruelty, poison, or traffic.

* Eliminates sexual discomfort, distress, or distraction ... making your pet happier and more content.

* Reduces or eliminates the possibility of disease in the reproductive system.

Benefits of Neutering

* Reduces the distracting and destructive behavior associated with the male's efforts to get out and find a mate

* Reduces the urge to roam. This makes it less likely that you will lose your pet, which in turn makes your pet less likely to contract a disease, get in a fight, get injured, or become a victim to cruelty, poison, or traffic.

* Eliminates sexual discomfort, distress, or distraction ... making your pet happier and more content.

* Eliminates testicular tumors and reduces prostate gland problems.

* In cats, neutering stops or reduces marking behavior (territorial spraying of urine).

* Reduces the urge to fight.
    http://www.pawsperouspets.com/tips/spayneuter.shtml
  • edited November -1
    My Two Cents: If you are not in a professional breeding program or a Showing program..then Speuter.
  • edited November -1
    Well, let's be clear here, the main reason neutering became mainstream was because the pet population was out of control. There are waaaay fewer homeless dogs now because there was a pro-neutering campaign. There are other perks, but yeah, pet population is the main reason, and it's a damn good reason.
  • edited April 2009
    As everyone said, there are health benefits to speutering. I think no one is going to argue about female spaying and its benefits if you aren't breeding. However, for males, if all you want to do is keep "the boys" looking intact (and you aren't planning on breeding), then get the male neutered and have neuticles put in or have a vasectomy done.

BTW, a vasectomy would only rid you of the dog's ability to reproduce (shooting blanks). The glands and organs for testosterone production would still be there. So you could possibly still be dealing with all the behavioral markers that can be tied to testosterone (peeing everywhere, chasing females in heat, desire to reproduce, etc.).

Jesse
  • edited April 2009
    I agree with Kristin, for my dogs in my situation. They are house pets, walking and hiking companions, and live happier lives without their reproductive organs getting in the way of their daily activities.
    I never have to worry about testicular cancer (which is more prevalent now than 10 years ago), I never have to worry about unwanted pups (your male dog can also be held accountable, even if you don't own the female), I never have to worry about empty heats and how hard they are on a dogs' system, I never have to worry about the laws of dog parks not allowing intact dogs, nor do I have to worry about my male dogs' frenzy over females in heat within any certain mileage from us....

Something to think about, for everyone, is state and local legislation. More and more areas are adopting mandatory spay and neuter laws. In the future, maybe no one with a companion pet will be exempt. I'd rather choose to speuter my dog younger (6 months) now than be forced to speuter as an older adult.

I would talk to your vet, and between you and your dog's health care professional come up with a plan that will benefit your dog.
  • edited November -1
    a good overview of health benefits if pet overpopulation doesn't move you:
    http://www.naiaonline.org/pdfs/LongTermHealthEffectsOfSpayNeuterInDogs.pdf
  • edited November -1
    I'm sorry but I don't really see the need for me to do it. My little guy is only around a few females who are all spayed, except for the dog park where he is always well supervised and we only visit maybe 3 or 4 times a year. He has never shown any agression towards or tried to hump any females, or legs either. Any human can get testicular cancer but I don't see us chopping all the little boys up to prevent it. My shiba is still young so he might get agressive or go on a humping rage still but until then I'll pass. My neighbor's dog died when i was younger while getting neutered and that might have deterred me from every wanting to do it to my pup.
  • edited November -1
    Hey Heem - this is an interesting thread on dogster.com, lots of input:
    http://www.dogster.com/forums/Dog_Health/thread/575562