Who said an Akita can't run fast?

edited June 2009 in Akita (秋田犬)
Hehe... many times when we're practicing "call in the dogs" (what do you call it in english) Viggo is so slow but he always comes to me as he should. The comments from the other people are most of the time really good for a laugh :)

But during the little race we had in the end of the dog traning camp last weekend showed a, for all of the participates, totally different side of Viggo...

It's a long video and Viggo is the last one to run.

Comments

• edited November -1
    Very well done Viggo!

It's called a "recall".
  • edited November -1
    lol, that was great! all the dogs did well, they saved the best for last. :D
  • edited November -1
    Cool! That's a good recall!

I like the concept of the race, to add a little healthy competition to it.
  • edited November -1
    Good work! Viggo is fast! He is gorgeous too!

Great Recall work!
  • edited November -1
    Lovely weather! Viggio has a long stride... great recall!
  • edited November -1
    YAY Viggo!!!
  • edited November -1
    Awesome!! He's got a great gate to his run!
  • edited November -1
    Hehe... thanks you all :) The race was just for fun but as I said it was nice to see the other people when they saw the speed Viggo got.

Ah.. "recall", I'll remember that. I guess there are a lot of words in the dog world I don't know the english words for. Nice to have peoples to ask ;)
  • edited November -1
    One thing I noticed in re-watching the video...The people (including you) who jogged/ran to their spot at the other end of the field had a greater chance of a high energy dog at the time of release.

Great job on your recall of Viggo! I'm envious!

Jesse
  • edited November -1
    Crimson02, yes that was exactly my thought when I jogged down the field. I know that if I had managed to increased Viggo's energy, so to speek, I have to be fast to take advantaged of it. He'll get calm pretty fast. It's also one way to get him even more anxious to come over to me fast :)

The guy in the start, he who was releasing the dogs, had to use all his strength to be able to hold Viggo back hehe :D
  • edited November -1
    Thats awesome!

Do they use a lot of the dog's natural drive for this training 'camp'?
  • edited November -1
    Sorry tsukitsune... I'm not really sure I understand what you mean with "dog's natural drive". Can you please explain it a bit more for me ;)
  • edited November -1
    Love the video
    excellent recall!!!
    :-))