My Dearest Link (My Puppy Journal)

edited July 2009 in Shiba Inu (柴犬)
Hello Everyone,

I have to put a disclaimer about this thread that I am posting. It will be my journal for my Shiba Inu puppy and my accomplishments & challenges in this relationship.

I have read a lot about Shiba Inu on day one. With all the love I have for the canine world, I try my best to keep a calm and a healthy outlook on my relationship with this adorable but mischievous friend of mine: Link, 4 months old male Shiba Inu.

Being that this is my first canine friend, it is very exhausting mentally and physically at times. Lucky or unfortunately, I am home with Link 24 hours, I see his good and bad sides.

My accomplishment with him:
A1-He is potty trained and currently can hold his bladder for 3-4 hours. Beware, he hasn't learn that he should not pee on carpets, towels or linen materials, he will go on these items when it is close to his excretion time.

A2-He knows to poop outside. I learned that he goes 2-3 time a day. He has trained to go in the morning and in the evening, the afternoon poop is a little bit unpredictable (hopefully it will be eliminated).

A3-He sleeps through the night from 12AM-5:30AM. Waking up to his cries when the sun is barely showing has been tough for me (probably also for my neighbors). Link either has to pee or he's hungry around that time. If I was him, these are good reasons.

A4-Link lets me groom him (until he becomes curious about the brush and wants to examine it with his teeth). He enjoys grooming during morning time and evening time.

A5-Also, Link's canine teeth are brushed with minimum struggle during the evening.

A6-I have found a healthy vegetable for him to chew on: Napa cabbage. It gives him the satisfaction of chewing and a great way to distract him from other things. He also loves play and chewing on ice. (Once my boyfriend gave Link rare pig's ears from the supermarket, which I believe is a bad idea. Lucky, Link didn't indulge on it.)

A7-Taught Link to Sit, Lay Down, Turn Around, Hand, and play Catch. Link is a quick learning, but he is only motivated by food. Makes me worry about whether or not he has a tendency to become obese or whether he is ever full. Currently, I am trying to transition from food motivation to verbal praises, head rubs and toys.

Now for the frustration items:
F1-Teething! A pain to all dog owners, and the "learn or die" challenge for most dogs. My Link still bites and he still chews on wooden furniture. His biting has become more gentle and softer, and I have learned these mouthing are either for attention, his discontent or his bullying tactic. Even though it is a form of communication, biting is unacceptable in my ideal relationship. I have tried turning away, giving him time out, directing his attention else where, telling him "no", closing his muzzle, and picking him up. My preferred methods are time out and turning away, because it gives me time to control myself and ignore him. However, I don't know if he will learn to inhibit his biting urges? If he doesn't learn it, I am afraid I am an inadequate master. Do I only need more time, because he has only been with me for a month?

F2-My Link's hyper mode usually is 1-2 hours right before bed time. It's the time when he nibs me for attention, which can be satisfied by playing catch. However, sometimes this is not what he wants. When I ignore him because of his biting, he would run back and forth in the apartment like a mad man. Zoom, zoom!

F3-He has started to challenge me: He has started to steal my slippers, getting onto the futon, and chew on things he knows he shouldn't. Very frustrating, because I don't know when this sort of behavior will end, and it does get on my nerves. It may even get worst when adolescent kicks in. I hope I will have enough love and energy to keep up with him.

F4-He is able to climb out from his play pen, which means No More Time Out. I have to look for new ways to give him a time out, and the only solution that I had come up with is to limit his roaming ability or work out a different solution. 90% of the time, the playpen is use for his time out due to his inappropriate biting behavior. Any opinions on what is appropriate for my current situation with the playpen? I need alternative time out method. I have started to tie his leash to a fix furniture, so he doesn't get into any trouble and watch him have his time out period. Have anyone tried this before?

On a brighter note, there are certain things I look forward to:
B1-Link's next veterinary exam! He will be getting his final booster and rabies shot on Monday, which will give him clearance to be outside. He can take long walks, meet other dogs and people. Also, he can use his physical and mental energy on the outside world (instead of erupting it all on me at home).

B2-Link's new treats are in the mail, and will arrive by next week. I will have another tool to use against him. More leverage power to me.

Overall, my experience is probably normal. All pet owners had to face the same challenges as I am facing right now. However, being that this is my first time, I worry a lot and feels frustration at this learning process. It will take a lot of patience and mental strength to create a good relationship with my puppy. If you think there's any way I can improve, please do share! I love to get some inputs as I share my progress with the forum.

PS. I am currently reading If a Dog's Prayers were Answered...Bones Would Rain from the Sky by Suzanne Clothier. Have anyone read it?

Comments

• edited November -1
    That's a lot of updates on Link (shame on you for not providing us with at least one picture), and I'm glad you are experiencing more good than bad. raising a puppy is pretty much like raising a child, so there will be plenty of times to love and not like (hate is such a strong word).

If your having problems with the playpen, why not just time him out in another room with a door. Or what we have been doing to keep our guys calm around the new kitten is that we would make them sit/stay in a far corner of the room and stand guard (each time they move we put them back in that spot) until we say they are allowed to move. We have graduated to not barking at the kitten, not we got to work on their desire to chew on him.

PS: Shame on you for RSVPing 'no' to our meet up, but I understand (and I guess I'll forgive you) after reading that Link won't be having his shots by then. Maybe next time.
  • edited November -1
    Almost all dogs are and SHOULD be food motivated. I wouldn't worry about transitioning him away from food training yet. You have tons of time.

Read the Culture Clash by Jeane Donaldson she does a wonderful job of explaining canine motivation and how to use your dogs natural desires to get them to do what you want. I think you would really like it.
  • edited November -1
    Thank you for all input. I promise that I will post some pictures on Monday. It will be themed: Link joins the outside doggy world.

Beth: I 100% agree with you. Raising a puppy is very much like raising a child. You will see me at a meet up soon! :)

Jessica: Thank for the recommendation. I'll check it out.
  • edited November -1
    Bones Would Rain From the Sky is my bible, and if I had to get rid of all my dog books it is the ONE book I would have to keep.
    I have just been to a seminar with Suzanne and I am most of the way transcribing my notes. Will post soon.

He's a teething pup, he;s oral, but you need to set him up to succeed- a crate he cannot escape from to keep him out of trouble, tethering him to you or your chair is an alternative when you are home so you can teach him what TO do. Always with a NO, provide a YES- you can;t chew my shoes, but you can chew this frozen towel. You need to put your shoes away, and anything he can get to- close the doors to limit him to puppy safe areas. A puppy doesnt become a willing student if he's running into NO all the time. Prevent trouble as best you can and show him the YESes. Prevention will save you from getting upset with him too. As you know from Suzanne, you are trying to create a relationship of cooperation, and you are his whole world, so he naturally looks to you for his needs- chewing to play to anything.

I have found that my dogs enjoyed chewing on things that I hold for them (not tug, just holding) that way they can have ME and Chewing without chewing ON me. After a few minutes of together toy time, they would enjoy the toy by themselves for a bit.

F3- All he DOES know is that he gets a big reaction from you when he does those things. Sage used to be this way, but over time I have learned to close the closet door and pick up my shoes, and to give him playtime at predictable times (dogs have a strict clock) and when he is being good to invite him to play on MY terms. HEy pup, you look bored, let;s play- I have a toy here. You initiate, not him. "Crazy gets you nothing."
  • edited November -1
    For the 5:30 in the morning wake up time, you can put an alarm clock next to his crate. When the alarm goes off in the morning, at a more decent time, he can get out. On the weekends, I usually give myself a little bit more sleeping time.
  • edited November -1
    Chrystal: Thank you for comment. I have never thought of using Yes before. But it's a great suggestion, I'll start using it to redirect him on appropriate chewing items. I didn't consider that they have a stick clock even for play time, it will be great if he plays at 8 instead of 11 or 12am.

Tara: Link naturally wakes up at 5ish. I, unfortunately, is also forced to wake up at that time. I think it mostly has to do with his bladder control, because he would pee first thing. Hopefully when he develop stronger bladder control, I can also enjoy sleeping a little bit later.

Updates:
    Link got his rabies shot yesterday. After 24 hours, he's fine and energetic. We went out for his first real walk today. He had a lot of fun and walked very far. It was a great bonding moment for us.
  • edited November -1
    Link was walking too fast for the iPhone!
  • edited November -1
    Cool name :)
  • edited November -1
    cute pics!!
  • edited July 2009
    Such a cutie where did you get his name?

I know how ya feel at times it can be draining raising a pup and at times it warms my heart seeing my pup sleeping nicely or doing something cute just keep up what your doing and you'll get there Link will grow to be a well behaved shiba you want him to be. =)
  • edited November -1
    Nicole: I named my dog after Link in the Zelda games. Mostly, because I want him to grow up to be a brave and gentle dog.
  • edited November -1
    he's cute!
  • edited November -1
    Socializing in the Park:

After Link got his shots, I have been taking Link out for his walk and have made a trip out to the neighborhood park. My Link is doing great with children. He doesn't freak out when kids touches, and goes about sniff the ground, sitting or whatever he please. Today when I couldn't get him to seat and the children crowded around him, it scared me. I was afraid that children will do something that will scare Link and I didn't have control over him. I acted on my instinct, and excused my puppy from the mob of children.

Also, I have too my puppy to the dog run. I am wondering if anyone advice me in proper dog park etiquette. Most of the dogs in the park are at least a year older and they are either big dogs or miniature dogs. The bigger dogs stand still when my Link goes up to them. My puppy would sniff their nose first, and then start jumping up and around the dog, who doesn't pay any attention to Link. As for the miniature dogs, the owners are scared of my dog or their dogs bark at Link. I wonder what are the best way to introduce a Shiba to other people and their dogs?

Thank you for your comments!
  • edited November -1
    Shibas are kind of in a tough spot sometimes. They're too big for most "small" dog owners, but too small for most "big" big dog owners. We had some controlled meetings with dogs we already new. You should try to make a meetup too. Those have helped with Katsu so much. Maybe have a playdate with a friends dog. Try to keep everything positive at this point.

I'm not sure what the dog parks around you are like. I love the one we go to, but I feel sometimes we get dirty looks because our Shibas love to play rough.

Good job with getting him out from under that pile of children. He's your dog, so if you don't feel comfortable don't hesitate to take him out of a situation like that.
This discussion has been closed.