odd/obsessive behavior

We have a 3 year old shiba named Pepples, whom we have had since she was 8 weeks old. She's an adorable dog and behaves well. But she does display some odd behaviors (or maybe not ?).
She seems obsessed with the rocks in our yard. She loves to fetch the small rocks that we have around our pool. Remarkably she will retieve the exact stone everytime. She will do this without end. She'll do this with a ball also but this is second choice. When she was younger it was kind of cute watching her pounce on the rocks and retrieve them, but since she swallowed a couple of them we no longer throw them for her. Is it normal for a shiba to fixate on an object like this? She will also chase anything that the wind blows by her (leaves, paper, ect.). I guess this her hunting instinct but it does seem a little odd as she seems obsessed with it.
She also seems to be very skittish to sudden sounds or movements around her. She has always been treated like the little baby that she is in our home. So we wonder why she reacts this way.
The final thing is visits to the vet. Our last visit was a disaster to say the least. She didn't tolerate the exam by the vet at all. You would have thought she was being killed even as I restrained (held) her during the exam. They did a routine check-up: tempeture, etc. Before this recent visit she seemed fine getting her shots, etc. I dread taking her back again as she was really stressed by the whole ordeal. Has anyone else experienced these types of behaviors in their shibas? Suggestions or comments please.

Comments

• edited November -1
    Other than the rock thing your Shiba sounds like a normal one to me. I'm sure others will have some insight about the rocks, but I have no personal experience with it. Any Shiba will fight against restraint they don't like. Sachi is terrible at the vet, she wont listen, refuses to take treats, and god forbid they want a stool sample. All three of our dogs chase anything that moves; gnats, paper, bugs, lizards, cats, leaves, etc. Akira, would jump at every little noise when we first adopted him. We didn't baby him because of it, and he has since gotten over almost all of it. He just had to get comfortable with normal sounds around the house and yard. Fuu is still a puppy so anything that requires her to sit still longer than 10 seconds is like torture. :)
  • edited November -1
    When Tank was about 2-5 months or so, he always wanted to chew the pebbles in our patio. I think he might've swallowed a few of them but he seemed to have pooped them out. We couldn't get him to stop because at the time, he didn't know the "drop it" command yet and even though we took him away from it he always ran right back to the pebbles.

In order to get his attention away from the pebbles, we distracted him with "fun" things. He loved chasing our utility broom so as soon as we saw that he was starting to head for rocks, we starting brushing the deck and he would come chasing the broom. We also introduced a really durable inflatable 8" ball. He absolutely loved playing with the thing. These days, Tank doesn't care about the pebbles anymore. I think he's grown out of it.
  • edited November -1
    Oh goodness, yes.
    I agree, "drop it" and "leave it", along with distractions might help with the rocks.
    Shibas are known for their high prey drive, so it makes sense that she enjoys chasing things.
    When my shiba got her last round of vaccinations she started screaming before the vet even touched her, let alone stuck her with a needle. The vet joked that she had to go "assure the other clients there was no dog being tortured" afterwards. I try to remain calm at the vet and not dread these things beforehand. If they happen, they happen! You can do what you can to prepare and/or keep it from happening, but no sense in worrying about the future unknown! :) Some offices recommend that you bring your dog in even with no appointment, just to get used to the environment and people there. If you think the previous bad experience will make her stressed at the vet, maybe you can do a few of these "drop-ins" so she can associate it as a good, or at least neutral, place again? Check with your office before arriving unannounced of course :)
  • edited November -1
    Normal. Pretty normal for all nihonken and hunting breeds. They zone in on their prey and won't leave it alone.

As for the vet that's the reason I frequently grab Haru and hold her down or just hold her and don't let her go until she stops wigglying or at first until she stopped screaming. Otherwise as soon as she's restrained she sets off a huge racket and won't settle. I did the same with my akita puppy and her breeder does it with all the puppies as soon as possible. They learn to remain still and calm when necessary. If they do set off screaming at the vet which Haru never fails to do with shots it doesn't mean the vet trip was that stressful. Shiba will scream over a paw being held sometimes even if it really isn't that big of deal and Haru screamed for the first week the entire time we had her in a car just because I tied her to the back seat so she wouldn't try to jump on me and play while driving. The less you've taught her to tolerate handling the more she's going to go off. Most of the time when it's done they just shake it off and try to go out the nearest door. A vet assistant came in to see if Haru was ok after her last screaming episode and 10mins later she was back to jumping on people and begging for treats. They also kept giving her pain killers when she was in for her spay surgery because she just kept screaming in the cage. We finally had to tell them that it wasn't going to help and she probably didn't even need any pain killers especially when she started throwing up from them. Sure enough by the next day at home she was bouncing around again and failed to notice when we forgot a pill except to be more hyper because her stomach didn't hurt then. If you have a shiba you have to learn not to give in to shiba screaming. They are all drama queens.

We do take both dogs every time we go to the vet even when only when is having something done and we take them if we are just stopping in to pay for something. They get doggy cookies and lots of attention so Haru at least loves it. Zami prefers to eat her cookie and run because she hates strangers being near her.
  • edited November -1
    My shiba Honey LOVES to mouth on rocks. Big rocks, little rocks. It doesnt matter! She would MUCH rather play fetch with rocks than a ball. We've never had problems with her swallowing them though. And whenever she gets out of hand with them we also use the "drop it" command. It has really worked well for us.

Good luck! Oh......and how about some pics of your little munchkin?
  • edited November -1
    In terms of obessive behavior, my shiba inu has that too. But not with rocks. Its this one specific toy that I guess she liked since she was a puppy. For the noise thing, my shiba is very snappish at noises that aren't familiar to her. But I agree with Honey's mom, teaching her the "drop" or "let go" command is very useful in many different situations.
  • edited November -1
    She does know the "drop it" or "no" commands and they do work. That doesn't mean the little "devil" won't sneak one when she gets a chance! I guess I'll have tough it out with the vet. Your probably right about the "shiba screaming", she'll get over it. Thanks all, I'll keep reading your suggestions.
  • edited November -1
    This is why, when I'm asked, I strongly suggest NOT playing with laser pointers with high prey drive dogs. They CAN and WILL get obsessed. It makes perfect sense though, young energetic hunting dogs living in a house all day every day, they are bound to get a bit nutty!
    Our foster male is obsessed with a wubba kong that squeaks.... over and over and over and over

The vet thing - that was the first time I EVER heard a shiba scream, at the vet. The next was in the tub. :)
    Will your vet consider letting you come and put Pebbles on the exam table, treat, hang out then leave as training? I know its embarrassing to ask, but it does help - A LOT!

The scared of sounds thing - check out Patricia McConnell's "Cautious Canine". Its about counter conditioning when dealing with fears or insecurities. It will help you a lot!