Any idea what this bump is?

Hey guys, a couple weeks ago I saw a bump on Kaja's chin. I tried to get a good look at it with tweezers (lift it to see if it appeared to be a tick or something... it doesn't seem to be?). Unfortunately she jerked her head and part of it came off. It's since healed and looks slightly smaller, but it's still there.

Wondering if anyone has an idea on what it could be? My first thought was skin tag. But I don't know. I'm wondering if I should bring her in to the vet to get it looked at? Thought to seek your opinions first.

Comments

• Are you a member of the "I love my Shikoku" Facebook group? One of the members recently posted a picture of the melanoma on their shikoku's chin. I'd take her to the vet and get that removed and a biopsy. Hopefully it's nothing.
  • No.. I did go take a look and couldn't find the post. Do you have a link to it?

Hopefully it's just a tag or wart... I'll see if the vet has something to say!
  • Not sure how to direct link a FB post, but it is in the "Sad news yesterday: Keiko has an under active Thyroid gland" post
  • edited June 2017
    Ahh there it is, thanks so much guys! Kaja's is the same colour but doesn't have a recess
    (it's a little floppy though) and it's much much smaller (tiny)... so I sincerely hope it's not anything. But I've made an appointment just to be safe. Thanks again for the link!

How scary! Poor Keiko. :<
  • edited June 2017
    My childhood dog, a yellow lab, had a benign growth on her chin. It's probably nothing, but its better to be safe. I never would have guessed the picture on Facebook was melanoma. Agreed scary stuff. Please keep us updated. Hoping for the best.
  • @Ajax was your lab's black or pink coloured, do you remember?
  • Also pink
  • My Border Collie got something like that on her eyelid once she got old. It ended up being nothing major but it was nice to have removed.
  • @ajax @whobitme Thanks for the replies guys, knowing it's possible it's completely harmless makes it less stressful till our vet appointment. xD
  • edited June 2017
    Good news! The vet says it's probably a benign adenoma, and they sometimes grow so it can be removed later on if it's too much (cosmetic removal). But right now it's tiny so we will leave it.

For anyone else who finds a growth on their dog or anything... she said most cancerous growths will be black in colour (though very rarely can be pink) ... so if it looks like Kaja's just make sure it doesn't grow really fast in a short time period and doesn't change texture or colour.
  • Awesome, great news :) now that you say it I believe that was what was on my lab. The vet ended up giving her a cortisone shot under the growth and that made it so itchy she ripped it off herself. I remember my parents being really happy the vet took care of it without surgery, but now that I'm older I wouldn't recommend it. It was really bloody, though it did work.
  • edited June 2017
    Wow what an interesting method, haha. I can understand why your parents would've been happy though. IDK how much it costs other people at their vet, but I was given an estimate of around $400. xDDD

Although... Kaja already ripped half of it off herself when I was getting a good look with the tweezers (when I was trying to see how it was attached/if it was a tick). It bled like a papercut for a good 10 minutes. xD