Dogs at the Dane County Humane Society (Pictures) - Updated 07-27-2009
  • brandon_wbrandon_w
    Friday I went to the humane society to take some pictures of a friends dogs, while I was out there I took a few dogs outside and took some photos of them. Here are some of them:

Only one sad indoor one (this guy is up for adoption):
    Photobucket

These guys are from "Pre-Adopt" they have not been approved yet, or are on hold as strays for up to a week before they can be made adoptable:

Collie/Retriever Mix:
    Photobucket
    Photobucket

Male Pit (Pits love their toys, and being goofy)
    Photobucket
    Photobucket
    Photobucket
    Photobucket
    Photobucket
    Photobucket

He didn't have any manners, and was a bit of a leg humper. If he isn't picked up soon he will be neutered and evaluated for adoption.

Female Pit - RIP 05-13-2008
    Photobucket
    Photobucket
    Photobucket
    Photobucket

Nose to nose with an adoptable dog on the other side. Possible Shiba or Besenji and Terrier mix?
    Photobucket

A girl who just got moved up to adoptable who was out with some other volunteers:
    Photobucket
    Photobucket

The website I put my galleries on is going to be shut down soon. I need to figure out something else for galleries so I don't have to cram so many pictures into one thread/post, but I wanted to share.

I'm thinking about taking my camera out there more often. However most of the time I keep busy enough just trying to get the dogs out.
  • dlrobertsdlroberts
    I think that you thinking about taking your camera out there more often is a good way to be thinking!!!! :-)

As usual Brandon, I LOVE your action shots! The first one of the female pit running toward the camera is just brilliant. You can see how muscular she is.

I also really like the shots of the male pit being goofy. :-)
    dlrobertsdlroberts
    Dave, proudly owned by Joey (Shiba Inu), Tyson (Kai Ken), and PRG's Mason Julien McDieserton III, a.k.a. Diesel (Labrador Retriever).
    "My opinion may have changed, but not the fact that I'm right"
    Post edited by Unknown User at -0001-11-30 00:00:00
  • RyuRyu
    Brandon, you could make a KILLING by having a pet photography business. Owners like me would love for someone like you to catch their dog's spirit in a photo :-)
  • LeonbergerLeonberger
    As usual Brandon, excellent photos! I really like the close up of that male pit, he has one of the happiest expressions I have ever seen on a dog.
  • sujewelsujewel
    Oooo. I love that Collie Mix and the Male Pit. Sooooooooo cute!
  • ljowen123ljowen123
    I love the female pit running (from distance) she looks so happy
    LJ - owned by Queen Jazz, a Shiba Inu, Atlanta, GA
    CSC_0144
  • brandon_wbrandon_w
    Thanks for the comments everyone.

Some time outside, warm sun, and soft grass can make dogs really, really happy.

Dave - She is muscular, most pits are, she's a real powerhouse though, once she is out that door, you need to hold on tight and hope your shoulder doesn't pop out.

Pam - It's in the works. http://bwpetphotography.blogspot.com/ I haven't started soliciting business, but hopefully I will be getting business cards to hand out by the end of the month. There are two other really good pet photographers in the area, I'm not trying to make a career of it, but some extra cash wouldn't hurt now and then, and you get to hang out with peoples pets.
  • JessicaRabbitJessicaRabbit
    Brandon I LOVE them!!! AND I am so jealous, you get grass for them to play on!! When I took tink to be on the news yesterday it had been so long since she had even seen lawn that she didn't even know what to do. I had to roll to show her how to do it.
    Fuzzy Gang Signature
  • brandon_wbrandon_w
    Jessica we are very lucky to have the facility that we have. It is on the outskirts of Madison and the facility is located on 17 acres of land. There are 4 large fenced play areas, 2 puppy play areas, and lots of walking trails in a nice wooded area. I love that, that is available to the dogs, but it takes volunteers to get them out there. Donations made the building happen, and run the facility but that leaves them with a very tight budget for staff, plus the place is open door policy, any dog that comes to the door is taken in. It's somewhere near 10,000 animals a year that come in.

I may not love all of the politics of the place, but it's still a great place, and it's nice to be able to take the dogs out to some grass and throw the ball around with them.
  • brandon_wbrandon_w
    Well I started a Flickr page, so far I like it better than photobucket for sharing photos.

There are a few extras on here, and I will probably upload a few more once I get home.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/26488953@N08/sets/72157605019260667/
  • dlrobertsdlroberts
    Brandon, I'm glad you posted about flickr, because I was just thinking about you and your gallery plight. Have you considered running your own server? If you have a broadband internet connection, you can configure dynamic dns (http://www.dyndns.com/services/dns/dyndns/), run the apache http server (www.apache.org) and use a php gallery software (http://www.phpalbum.net/ or http://gallery.menalto.com/ or just google for php photo gallery, there are tons of options) all on your home computer. That's a free option you might want to consider.
    dlrobertsdlroberts
    Dave, proudly owned by Joey (Shiba Inu), Tyson (Kai Ken), and PRG's Mason Julien McDieserton III, a.k.a. Diesel (Labrador Retriever).
  • brandon_wbrandon_w
    Dave - I know nothing of setting up websites or servers. I had some webspace for awhile but was never able to make anything of it. Friends who offered to help for free, well, I didn't climb to the top of their list of things to get done, and I can't blame them for that. HTML code and all that stuff, I don't know any of it, and I think I have other things I'd rather learn. I still need to learn photoshop! That's how I ended up with a blog webspace/business front instead of a real website.

I don't even know what a dynamic dns, apache server or php software is.
  • dlrobertsdlroberts
    This wouldn't require writing any html code or anything like that, but it isn't exactly "simple" to do either. It mainly requires downloading and installing a bunch of software and managing the dependencies and configuration files. But if you don't want to put in the time (which is totally understandable) then a hosted solution is probably better for you.
    dlrobertsdlroberts
  • brandon_wbrandon_w
    The Collie/Retriever mix was looked at by a classic American family today. Dad, Mom, brother and sister all came to look with their cocker spaniel in tow. The meeting between the humans and dogs went well. The cocker was more interested in toys and the retriever was just eating up all the attention, accepting pets and hugs from the kids (teenagers). Seemed like a great match, he was following the boy around by the time they left the yard. Short stay for him (total of less than a week). He had been dumped because of a divorce, and has a family again (or at least it really, really seemed like it was going to happen).

That was nice to see.
  • dlrobertsdlroberts
    Excellent news Brandon!
    dlrobertsdlroberts
  • tsukitsunetsukitsune
    thats awesome to hear. I love those classic American families with the nice house in the 'burbs. One of them adopted my basset foster. But I felt really good about it.
    volunteers4paws.wordpress.com
    shibas, beagles & more!
  • brandon_wbrandon_w
    Well the Collie/Retriever mix is back. Apparently he growled at one of the kids, once. Yes, growled once, and they returned him. F'ing assholes.

He is back up for adoption already, hopefully the next family that adopts him is more deserving than the last one.

Other than that, all of the dogs in here have been adopted except Coltrane, who is the male pit. He has been in isolation because of kennel cough so he doesn't get as many people looking at him, as a lot of the public does not ask to see the adoptable dogs in iso.
  • ljowen123ljowen123
    I'd like to growl at that family, too - ggrrrrrr!
    CSC_0144
  • tsukitsunetsukitsune
    ew. what a horrible thing. although, I am childless so perhaps I'm not seeing the entire scenario. Although thats not an example I would want my (non-existent) children to see - they didn't even try..volunteers4paws.wordpress.com
    shibas, beagles & more!
  • ljowen123ljowen123
    I am childless, but have children in my home (see recent thread about dog bite & Michael) - a dog can growl for a multitude of reasons - including a child acting improper with or around the dog. They should be willing to work with the dog and their child.
    CSC_0144
  • brandon_wbrandon_w
    I took the camera back out today. The only pictures I have uploaded so far are of a Pitbull named Cyclone. He is adoptable, so I sent them out to the staff at DCHS to see if they would like to use my photos for the website. This guy is amazing. He loves people, and is a total clown. He untied both of my shoes! Poor guy has got "the cough" though, so he isn't out where everyone can see him. I love him, he has enough energy to power the state of Wisconsin:

Cyclone-0229

Cyclone-0227

Cyclone-0211

Cyclone-0205

Cyclone-0198

I'm completely in love with him, there are a few more pictures on flickr.

I'll have pictures of more dogs in the next few days.
    Post edited by brandon_w at 2008-06-20 00:27:48
  • ljowen123ljowen123
    how beautiful!
    CSC_0144
  • dlrobertsdlroberts
    Man, Pits have the best smiles and he's no exception! Nice shots Brandon! :-)
    dlrobertsdlroberts
  • RyuRyu
    oh my - it's not going to take long for him to be snatched up with those pictures!!
  • HeidiHeidi
    His face has so much character, I love it.
    Dogs: Rakka (shikoku), Sosuke (kai), Effie (bc/kelpie)
    Cats: Hester, Batgirl, Stephanie, Harley
  • LeonbergerLeonberger
    What a great looking face he has!
  • brandon_wbrandon_w
    My pictures are going to go up on the website! I'm happy about that.
  • tsukitsunetsukitsune
    your photos of him will definitely help him find that forever home faster! You shine a great light on a very worthy, smiling face!
    that's awesome
    shibas, beagles & more!
  • dlrobertsdlroberts
    That's great Brandon! A good picture can do a lot to help a dog in need and you're aren't good, they're great!
    dlrobertsdlroberts
  • brandon_wbrandon_w
    Looks like Cyclone already found a home! WOO!

More dogs from Thursday:

How awesome is this guy?
    DCHS Dogs 6-19-0058
    I love Rotties, I think he is still growing, his head was enormous.

A little fluffball, sweet but demanding (cute underbite too):
    DCHS Dogs 6-19-0043

This guy barks a lot, and jumps fences. He's pretty awesome:
    DCHS Dogs 6-19-0092

*sniff* *sniff* I FOUND TREAT POCKET!
    DCHS Dogs 6-19-0115

Flying dog (same as treat sniffer):
    DCHS Dogs 6-19-0123

And his buddy:
    DCHS Dogs 6-19-0120
    I'm just sad I was looking into the sun for it, maybe I'll try to HDR It, when I start doing that...

Another black and tan mutt (not flying dog):
    DCHS Dogs 6-19-0150
    A little blurry, but I like it anyhow. This dog was great. Doesn't know a damn thing but he LOVES everyone.

Portrait dog of the day:
    DCHS Dogs 6-19-0133

I was calling this one the Cattle Pit, because she seemed Cattle dog like to go along with the pit:
    DCHS Dogs 6-19-0148

DCHS Dogs 6-19-0170

There are more on my flickr page (this should take you directly to the set):
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/brandon_w/sets/72157605705432928/
    Post edited by brandon_w at 2008-06-21 21:55:18
  • tsukitsunetsukitsune
    awesome, as usual! I hope they use your pics to help these dogs! They are fabulous!volunteers4paws.wordpress.com
    shibas, beagles & more!
  • dlrobertsdlroberts
    That's awesome that Cyclone got a forever home!

I love flying dog, great picture and awesome looking pup. He reminds me of this little guy I totally fell in love with yesterday at the shelter...endless energy and the sweetest temperament! I hope they both get their forever homes soon!
    dlrobertsdlroberts
  • brandon_wbrandon_w
    I was too quick to post about Cyclone. He was still there this morning, I'm not sure why he's not on the website. Maybe he has an adoption scheduled for this week, or after they cut his balls off.
  • ddowdemersddowdemers
    Bravo!!
  • brandon_wbrandon_w
    The Rottie was picked up by his owners. Hopefully they put a collar and tags on him...
  • brandon_wbrandon_w
    This guy:

DCHS Dogs 6-19-0133

Went to his new home yesterday.

Edit: Every dog in the first post (from May) has been adopted too. The Collie/Retriever that was returned was adopted again really quickly.
    Post edited by brandon_w at 2008-06-26 10:14:45
  • ljowen123ljowen123
    That's great news!
    CSC_0144
  • tsukitsunetsukitsune
    that made my day, brandon!
    shibas, beagles & more!
  • dlrobertsdlroberts
    Fabulous! That's great news.
    dlrobertsdlroberts
  • brandon_wbrandon_w
    Took the camera again yesterday. They had asked me to come take pictures of Chino because his current ones are not very good. Chino is some sort of pit mix. He has really long legs, and almost a Greyhound type deep chest and then really big curve up to the stomach area. He was really shy when he first showed up but is doing much better, poor guy has been stuck in Isolation though because of kennel cough.

Chino:

DCHS Dogs 07-24-1358

DCHS Dogs 07-24-1395

DCHS Dogs 07-24-1366

I'm not sure of this guys story, I didn't pay enough attention as I was just trying to get the dogs out. He's a really sweet dog though. Some sort of terrier mutt.

DCHS Dogs 07-24-1237

DCHS Dogs 07-24-1220

These two were owner surrenders for one reason or another. I think it was that the owner was no longer able to care for them. An obvious bonded pair, both very sweet. They could use a bath and grooming session though:

DCHS Dogs 07-24-1163

DCHS Dogs 07-24-1167

DCHS Dogs 07-24-1181

I just kept calling this guy "Fluffy". Came in as a stray, however I don't think it was an accidental stray, or they just didn't care. He came in very well groomed and without any matts in his hair. He was hard to photograph as he never wanted to hold still.

DCHS Dogs 07-24-1209

DCHS Dogs 07-24-1207

I took pictures of a few other dogs, but I haven't had time to edit them yet.
    There are more here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/brandon_w/sets/72157606354691924/

Also Cyclone got adopted about two weeks ago. His parents have already sent in an update letter. They named him Jack, after Captain Jack Sparrow (eye patch/pirate thing). He is doing awesome.
  • ljowen123ljowen123
    your pics of the dogs always make me smile - THANK YOU!
    CSC_0144
  • tsukitsunetsukitsune
    ditto, LJ! i love them, too! and yay for cyclone!!
    shibas, beagles & more!
  • dlrobertsdlroberts
    Wow, Chino is a handsome boy. Thanks for sharing. :-)
    dlrobertsdlroberts
  • StaticNfuzzStaticNfuzz
    Awesome job with the photos! You are doing such a great thing. I know that to some pictures may not seem like much but it really helps improve the odds of adoption. Some of the cruddy photos that shelters take you hardly recognize the dog when you get there. I can't believe how blurry and hurried some of the shots are.

Anyway thanks for sharing and caring enough to offer you talents to dogs in need.
    Snf
  • brandon_wbrandon_w
    The Terrier mutt up there, who has the big grin, his name is Peanut. He got adopted already, I think he was adopted in less than 36 hours once made available.

Also. On Saturday a lady who was renting, and had animals she was not supposed to had to surrender her dogs. She had a female German Short haired pointer, and the EIGHT PUPPIES that the Mom gave birth to about 6 months ago. She had nine short haired pointers on a rental property. The good news is that they are all very sweet, all in good condition (weight, skin, teeth, etc), and well socialized. They don't have many manners but they will learn quick. I have some pictures of them, that I will try and get up soon. I want to see if we can get all of them playing together in the same yard sometime, although watching them run around in pairs was lot of fun. The mom is just as sweet as can be and she knows some commands. I think they will all go pretty quick once made adoptable. I have never seen a surrender like that though.
    Post edited by brandon_w at 2008-07-28 11:40:38
  • brandon_wbrandon_w
    The Pointers:

Mom:
    DCHS 07-28-08-1438

The 8 "puppies":
    DCHS 07-28-08-1422

DCHS 07-28-08-1418

DCHS 07-28-08-1600

DCHS 07-28-08-1592

DCHS 07-28-08-1572

DCHS 07-28-08-1573

DCHS 07-28-08-1565

DCHS 07-28-08-1564

Some other dogs:

My gut tells me that this girl isn't going to make it out:
    DCHS 07-28-08-1539

DCHS 07-28-08-1429

This guy already didn't make it out...
    R.I.P Diamond 07-31-2008

DCHS 07-28-08-1486

There two are a bonded pair, they are very sweet. I think they will find a home quickly:
    DCHS 07-28-08-1451

DCHS 07-28-08-1447

More...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/brandon_w/sets/72157606427095417/
  • dlrobertsdlroberts
    Those pointers are ADORABLE! How old are those puppies? They weren't born in the shelter were they?
    dlrobertsdlroberts
  • brandon_wbrandon_w
    One post up I told the story about the pointers. They were not born at the shelter. One of them has already been adopted by a staff member and the rest of them are now adoptable or will be today, they should go fast.
  • dlrobertsdlroberts
    Ah, now I recall. Nice shots as usual! :-)
    dlrobertsdlroberts
  • brandon_wbrandon_w
    Some more dogs.

Mikado - He stayed on the adoptable floor for a couple of months, so I took some better pictures of him to increase interest, he was adopted like 30 minutes after I took the pictures, so they ended up being not necessary. He is a beautiful dog though, really sweet.

DCHS Dogs 08-07-08-26

DCHS Dogs 08-07-08-25

Indy - He has also been on the adoption floor for a long time, hopefully my pictures can increase interest in him. He is of course awesome, and a bit of a handful.

DCHS Dogs 08-07-08-20

DCHS Dogs 08-07-08-23

A purebred Carin that came in as a stray, just a pup:
    DCHS Dogs 08-07-08-1

This guy is an old terrier/schnauzer mix, he loves to be in your lap. I tried to lay down to create some space between us for a picture, when I layed down he sat on my chest and I snapped this pic:
    DCHS Dogs 08-07-08-27

Full dog version:
    DCHS Dogs 08-07-08-29

A nice little hound dog:
    DCHS Dogs 08-07-08-16

The rest from that day:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/brandon_w/sets/72157606614658982/
    Post edited by brandon_w at 2008-08-11 10:55:10
  • brandon_wbrandon_w
    And from yesterday, the last ones were from last Thursday:

A St. Bernard mix. I swear I think the wind caught his big mouth on this one, he looks like the biggest Border Collie ever:

DCHS Dogs 08-10-08-2

DCHS Dogs 08-10-08-1

The oldest Black Lab ever? (She got moved up to adoptable yesterday):

DCHS Dogs 08-10-08-25

RIP - 08-15-2008
    DCHS Dogs 08-10-08-23

If you ever wondered what would happen if a Pug and a Shar Pei got it on....
    DCHS Dogs 08-10-08-16

Some puppy GSD mutt mix:
    DCHS Dogs 08-10-08-29
    Yes, he was excited about everything.

RIP - 08-18-2008
    DCHS Dogs 08-10-08-32

This guy has two eyes, but you can't tell here:
    DCHS Dogs 08-10-08-22

This little guy whispered to me, "My belly, it is for scratching":
    DCHS Dogs 08-10-08-20

More from yesterday:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/brandon_w/sets/72157606658769697/
    Post edited by brandon_w at 2008-08-19 00:36:05
  • TheWalrusTheWalrus
    wow great pictures... wish I could take pics like that :Phttp://nihonken.blogspot.com/
  • brandon_wbrandon_w
    On the post from August 1st there is a B&W Pit who I had a bad feeling about, but I was wrong! She passed her evaluation and is now up for adoption. I'm shocked about the whole thing as she did bite someone, however she was trying to get at another barking dog and a human leg got in the way. They named her Sadie, I'm really happy she is adoptable, she's just the sweetest (with people).

Thank you Walrus.
  • dlrobertsdlroberts
    Brandon, you're really doing a great thing for these dogs. Not just by being there, but by taking such great pictures of them. You should feel really good about yourself. :-)

I'm really glad that husky got adopted. I have a soft spot for huskys. That little guy getting his belly scratched is adorable!

Great shots as usual!
    dlrobertsdlroberts
  • brandon_wbrandon_w
    They were calling Mikado an Alaskan Husky. In full body shots you can see he isn't pure Siberian, I guess you can call him an Alaskan then since they aren't really a breed.

The little guy was a sweet dog, and loved to play. He chased after a stuffed toy like crazy, I have a few more shots of him on Flickr.

Apparently Julie (who takes care of the dog profiles) said she has received some e-mails saying they like the pictures of mine that have been put up. If my pictures can help the dogs that is great, although at this point I kind of just like documenting all the dogs I meet. I think I'd be taking the pictures even if they didn't want to post them. I just like to do what I can to help since I don't have the opportunity to donate financially as much as I may like too.
  • sujewelsujewel
    Ok. I could NEVER volunteer at the shelter. Not knowing their personalities, I'm in love with Indy, the St. Bernard Mix, the old Lab and the otter (LOL)!
  • brandon_wbrandon_w
    All of those dogs, you would love even more after meeting. I really want the old lab to find a home. Her previous owners dumped her on some farm land. At her age, savages!

Clarence the Schnauzer mix who was sitting on my chest for a picture, got adopted. Hooray! Such a sweet dog, and a treat eating machine. He went home yesterday!

Edit - Clarabelle (The old lab) DID FIND A HOME! Her first day on the adoption floor!

Also the Momma German Pointer and all 8 of her pups have been adopted too!
    Post edited by brandon_w at 2008-08-11 13:59:31
  • sunyatasunyata
    Those pictures are awesome, Brandon. You are doing such a great thing. I wish all shelters had people who were willing to take the time and photograph the dog's personality like you do. :) I do love the little dog who whispers that his belly is made for scratching! SUPER CUTE! Keep up the good work!
    Bella 2Mountains 2Nola 2
    Casey, with Bella and Nola, hanging out in the mountains of Virginia.
  • sujewelsujewel
    I'm sure I would. I really, really love that St. Bernard mix and the lab. Ugh, is stoning still a thing? I think the lab previous owners should be stoned to death! What's her name? She looks like a Saidee to me.

Yay for Clarence!
  • LeonbergerLeonberger
    Great photos of beautiful pups!
    That family size Border Collie look a like is great!
  • sujewelsujewel
    Clarabelle is a really pretty - and well suited name! I'm so happy she found a home.
  • Brandon, I have to know what your camera is, your pictures are beautiful! I was too busy looking at them to notice if somebody else already asked this!
  • brandon_wbrandon_w
    I have a Nikon D50, all of the photos in this thread were taken with the Nikkor 18-200 VR lens.

They stopped making the D50 about two years ago, it has been replaced with newer models. D40x, D60, D80.
  • brandon_wbrandon_w
    There is a new dog in that everyone loves. He is a stray so we don't know his story, we can only tell that it might have been a rough one. He has pretty much nothing left of his ears as they were cut down as far as I have ever seen, and getting around isn't as easy as it should be because he is missing his "forearm" section of his right front leg. However his spirit is not broken, he will love on you, sit in your lap and whine with joy as you pet him, and wag his tail like mad when you scratch his butt.

DHCS Dogs 08-17-08-18

DHCS Dogs 08-17-08-16

He also still loves to play:
    DHCS Dogs 08-17-08-19

There are a lot of other dogs right now too. That guy is my favorite though.

Puppy!
    DHCS Dogs 08-17-08-37

Mean face -- RIP -- 08-26-2008:
    DHCS Dogs 08-17-08-30

B.C.
    DHCS Dogs 08-17-08-2

Some sort of Pappilon mix, a little spitfire:
    DHCS Dogs 08-17-08-35

Sweet, shy, Hound mix:
    DHCS Dogs 08-17-08-4

A real young Momma who came in:
    DHCS Dogs 08-17-08-28

More:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/brandon_w/sets/72157606797218071/
    Post edited by brandon_w at 2008-08-27 15:56:54
  • OH MY GOD!!!

Brandon, I love him!

Please please please keep us updated on him. Does he have a name?
    Fuzzy Gang Signature
  • brandon_wbrandon_w
    He has no official name yet since he came in as a stray. They allow us to suggest names, I suggested Percy (short for Perseverance).

I'll keep everyone updated on him. I think he stay holding period should be over now. So he should be up for full medical examination and a behavior assessment soon.
  • God I hope he is up for adoption!
    Fuzzy Gang Signature
  • sujewelsujewel
    By my count. If I worked at your humane society, I would've adopted 8 of these dogs!!!!
    Mamita would be in my house in a heartbeat!!!!!
    And definitely keep us posted on the first pup. Such a sweet look on his face! Poor Baby.
  • tsukitsunetsukitsune
    oh my word, Percy is a fabulous name, I hope they use it. Keep up updated on him! He deserves the world. They all do.

As always, great pictures!!!
    shibas, beagles & more!
  • TeamLaikaTeamLaika
    Hi Brandon
    I enjoy these pics!
    The white pup, "Percy" might be a Dogo Argentino which would explain the short ear crop. He'll be fine as a Tri-Pod. I know an Australian Shepherd who was born with a similar handicap and he's still leaping around for frisbees!

FYI: some of the flock guardian breeds (eg. Caucasian Ovcharka and Central Asian Ovcharka) traditionally have their ears completely cropped down to the skull as well.

I used to live in Madison (I went to UW) and miss it very much. Is Dr. Sandra Newberry still the DVM at the shelter? Do they still have that crazy ringworm cat project going on? I got to dip cats one summer. Quite the experience!

That Cairn puppy is a cutie and the little Papillion thing looks like a riot!

Enjoy your time with them and keep the pictures coming!
  • brandon_wbrandon_w
    Barbara - I have a feeling that once I own a house, it's going to fill up pretty fast, well, if we can get Nemo to accept other dogs. That might take a few trips to a behavorist. However going in and checking the adoption board and seeing the names of all the dogs that have gone home is a great feeling.

Indy recently went home too, which is nice, he was there awhile.
  • brandon_wbrandon_w
    Sarah - Percy could be Dogo Argentino, but I have my doubts, since well, I've never seen one around here. And even if he is, he is labeled pit and will likely stay that way. Sometimes they get things wrong, like a Silken Terrier was once called a Yorkie, and they never corrected it. The dog still got adopted though, so that's all that mattered.

The Carin (Maurry) got adopted already, cute puppies always go fast.

Yes the cat ringworm project is still going on. I don't know much about it though, other than they keep the ringworm cats in a pink trailer separate from the rest of the building. I believe that Dr. Newberry has moved out of state to a different job, but I can't confirm.
  • dlrobertsdlroberts
    Yay, more Brandon spam! I can't believe the story of that first guy. Its hard to feel bad about your own problems when you see a dog in that condition that clearly just loves life. I wish all the best for Percy (and the others too).

Great shots as usual.
    dlrobertsdlroberts
  • LeonbergerLeonberger
    I agree on the Argentino. I can't really tell his size, but the head and the white scream Dogo Argentino to me. Great dogs, they are!
    He's very good looking and that misfortune changed nothing on his love for life. I also agree with Sarah when she says he'll be OK with the front leg. Far form desirable but I think it would be worse if it was a back leg. I wish him someone who truly appreciates him and his huge heart.
  • MommyofNikoMommyofNiko
    I HATE how many pits are in rescue/shelters. Such amazing creatures. Brandon-you have to keep us updated. I have never seen ears cropped (butchered) that low! What an amazing spirit! I cant wait to have more pits in my life.
  • brandon_wbrandon_w
    A few more dogs from Sunday.

I'm posting this one large because you can see me in his eyes:

DHCS Dogs 08-17-08-60

He was a great photo subject, a funny little terrier. However he was an adolescent in-tact, rat terrier, he was a huge shit talker to dogs on the other side of the fence:

DHCS Dogs 08-17-08-61

His shy lady friend that he was surrendered with:

DHCS Dogs 08-17-08-59

The following two were found roaming together out in the country, I'm guessing dumped. They are well mannered, know commands and in really good shape. If they were "missing" it seems someone would have been looking for them:

DHCS Dogs 08-17-08-47
    DHCS Dogs 08-17-08-42

Husky/mutt:
    DHCS Dogs 08-17-08-49

Surrendered. Reason: No longer wanted.
    DHCS Dogs 08-17-08-51

A little wire haired guy:
    DHCS Dogs 08-17-08-64

This guy (or gal?) was sweet. Very small, but enjoyed chewing on a chicken jerky treat for a long, long time:
    DHCS Dogs 08-17-08-67

The rest:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/brandon_w/sets/72157606797218071/
    Post edited by brandon_w at 2008-08-19 11:28:12
  • sunyatasunyata
    AWW! That husky mutt is adorable with his/her little squirrel. I wish I had more land. I would take them all.
    Bella 2Mountains 2Nola 2
  • TeamLaikaTeamLaika
    I am such a sucker for TERRIERS! Even if they are terrorists!
  • tsukitsunetsukitsune
    the blind husky has the most amazing expression - just enjoying the sun - even if he is no longer wanted.
    These pictures are awesome - you definitely see character in them, not some generic shelter polaroid.
    shibas, beagles & more!
  • brandon_wbrandon_w
    Jen - I don't think he is blind, he gets around way too well. Charlie is his name, he has the lightest blue eyes that I have seen on any dog and they kind of roll up to show the whites when he looks up, which makes him look blind.
    Post edited by brandon_w at 2008-08-19 12:11:17
  • dlrobertsdlroberts
    That's a really cool shot with you in that terrier's eyes!

That last guy is adorable. He looks like a stuffed animal. :-)
    dlrobertsdlroberts
  • The white husky looks EXACTLY like the the husky that attacked me at the shelter. EXACTLY like him. Weird. None the less that breaks my heart that someone would just dump their pet. Especially knowing how much huskies suffer in shelter environments.
    Fuzzy Gang Signature
    Post edited by JessicaRabbit at 2008-08-19 14:28:41
  • brandon_wbrandon_w
    Charlie is doing well so far, much calmer than many of the huskies that come in and constantly jump off the walls or howl. Currently his status is "Pending Assessment-Behavior", same as Percy, who is officially property of the humane society and not a stray.

There are a lot of dogs right now though, so dogs can hang out in that status for a few days as the behaviorists work their way through testing all the dogs.
  • brandon_wbrandon_w
    An update on Percy (who they are calling Popeye), he is waiting for pickup from a breed rescue. I'm trying to find out which rescue so I can keep track of him if they have a website. So he is going to make it out, and that makes me smile.
  • sunyatasunyata
    YAY PERCY! (I like that better than Popeye.) I am glad that he is going to get out and get a second chance. Definitely keep us updated if you can.
    Bella 2Mountains 2Nola 2
  • sujewelsujewel
    Brandon, you are so incredibly taleted! I love that first pic. Sooo cool.
  • brandon_wbrandon_w
    Thanks.

I have to e-mail the behaviorist to find out about what rescue he is going to. She doesn't usually answer my e-mails. I think she finds me to be a bit nosy, and she is kind of territorial.
  • brandon_wbrandon_w
    Charlie (Husky) was picked up by a rescue, so he is out of the shelter.

I think that Percy was also picked up, he wasn't in his kennel at all yesterday when I was there, but it was possible that he could have been at AMS. From what my friend at the shelter told me, the lady who is taking him might not be a "rescue" per se, but is interested in taking him and turning him into a therapy dog. That's the word around the shelter anyhow.
  • Ain't nothing wrong with a therapy dog! Yay Percy.

And I am very happy to here Charlie is going somewhere where they can tend to his needs. Huskies shouldn't be in kennels.
    Fuzzy Gang Signature
  • brandon_wbrandon_w
    Both outcomes have me very happy. I really hope things work out for Percy, he just loves people. I know he could make people feel better.
  • brandon_wbrandon_w
    Percy did not get picked up yet. As far as I know, the same plan is still happening, but she hasn't come to get him yet. Not sure what's up.

Some dogs from yesterday:

I think this guy is a Pit/Husky mix, his name is Rocky, he WAS awesome. He didn't pass his behavior tests though. Crap.

RIP Rocky, I will miss you. 09-04-2008

DCHS Dogs 08-24-08-2990

DCHS Dogs 08-24-08-2996

And this guy. IT'S A SHIBA CORGI MIX! What an odd looking guy.

DCHS Dogs 08-24-08-2870

DCHS Dogs 08-24-08-2874

I love this guys smile, he came in with a German Shepard (next picture):

DCHS Dogs 08-24-08-2930

Big huge ears, the dog also needs to gain about 25lbs:
    DCHS Dogs 08-24-08-2922

This is how they roll:

DCHS Dogs 08-24-08-2936

If you give this guy butt scratches, he starts high step marching around. It's pretty funny:

DCHS Dogs 08-24-08-2967

How good looking is this guy? I love his markings:

DCHS Dogs 08-24-08-2898

Mr. Funny Face:
    DCHS Dogs 08-24-08-2853

There are more:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/brandon_w/sets/72157606951651420/

I might post some more tomorrow when bored at work.
    Post edited by brandon_w at 2008-09-05 14:17:26
  • ljowen123ljowen123
    Rocky is gorgeous!
    CSC_0144
  • SangmortSangmort
    All the dogs are beautiful! I hope they find homes :)

I love the german shepherd [ ? ] ~
  • Okay, the shiba/corgi is RIDICULOUS.

I don't need to tell you how awesome they are...
    Fuzzy Gang Signature
  • brandon_wbrandon_w
    The Shiba/Corgi cracks me up. That loooong body with the Shiba tail stuck on the end. Shiba face but giant Corgi ears on the end. He has the double coat of a Shiba too, you can see in the one picture that he has just a bit of a coat blowing going on near his tail. Sweet dog though.

I'd have to say I like almost all the dogs that come in, probably 95% or more. Right now though, there is this one black lab and she just annoys the crap out of me. Her problems aren't her fault, but she is hard to deal with. The first time I opened her kennel door to leash her up, she charged the gate (in a happy way) because she was so excited to go out, and she is about 120lbs if not more, she's fat. I had to pretty much tackle her so I could get the leash out of her head before she took off down the hall. When we are outside, if I am not in the fenced area with her, she cries and whines and high pitch barks the entire time. Then when I go over by her she excited cries, and runs up to me and starts rubbing her slobbery face on me, and then on my arms when I try to pet her. So I get covered in foamy dog drool, which is not one of my favorite things. I feel bad for not liking her, but her bark is like a fire alarm mixed with a drill that's going full boar in my ear. I couldn't even get pictures of her because when you are in by her, she is right in your face the whole time.
  • HeidiHeidi
    I love them all! You take great pictures.
    Dogs: Rakka (shikoku), Sosuke (kai), Effie (bc/kelpie)
    Cats: Hester, Batgirl, Stephanie, Harley
  • dlrobertsdlroberts
    Don't feel bad Brandon. You don't like all people do you? I certainly don't, and I don't feel bad about it either. Some dogs, just like some people, have character traits that rub us the wrong way. If you're at the 95% level on liking dogs at the shelter, you're doing way better than I am.
    dlrobertsdlroberts
  • sujewelsujewel
    LOL. That Shiba/Corgi cracks me up!!!! Even more so when you look at her head on.
  • brandon_wbrandon_w
    Well Percy has officialy been released. He has started his new life, which will hopefully be a little kinder than his previous one.

A few other dogs from last Sunday...

Look at the fur on this guy:

DCHS Dogs 08-24-08-2886

This guy was a jumper, not only would he jump at your front, but he would run up behind you and launch like a torpedo into your back. Last week this guy turned. Became very aggressive and bit a couple of people while trying to get at other dogs. Once you got him one on one he was sweet, but he had done the damage.

RIP 09-04-2008

DCHS Dogs 08-24-08-2960
    Post edited by brandon_w at 2008-09-05 14:18:28
  • dlrobertsdlroberts
    Yay for Percy being given a new start in life! That's great to hear. :-) The fluff ball is super cute. :-)

I have a question Brandon. Are your skills just that good or is it ALWAYS sunny out when you go volunteer?
    dlrobertsdlroberts
  • brandon_wbrandon_w
    I take sunshine with me Dave!

Lately it has been sunny, sometimes too sunny and my highlights get blown. Last Thursday it was very cloudy with a chance of rain, so I didn't take my camera, and it did rain.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion