Introducing Chloe! (Adopted!!)

RyuRyu
edited November 2008 in Rescue
Hey everyone!

Well, our first foster is here! She came to us this afternoon by way of Shiba Inu Rescue Association. She is such an adventurous butterfly. As soon as she came in (Ryu was in the backyard), she sniffed every room and approached every person head on. She even took treats right away! After she got more comfortable inside, we introduced her to Ryu on the back porch. He took a couple sniffs and then was pretty uninterested. For now, we're keeping them separated as much as possible to be on the safe side. She is a puppy mill rescue and is 6 years old. She's got a clipped ear and is missing one toe. She is as sweet as can be though.

Anyway, here's Chloe!

(with Joanna, my roommate)

(she just had a bath and was a little cold)

Comments

• edited November -1
    Awww she looks so sweet.
  • edited November -1
    I just want to squeeze her !!!
  • edited November -1
    Awww, what a cutie! She looks like a real sweetie.

Those puncture wound scars on her nose make me want to cry. Do you know her story?

----
  • edited November -1
    She is adorable! Hopefully Ryu takes to her and teaches her all about how Spoiled Shiba's act, you know, napping under the sewing table and laying on Tim! Good luck with her!
  • edited November -1
    Errik says she's so adorable and definitely a sweetheart.

If she goes missing, we don't have her!
  • RyuRyu
    edited November -1
    She's lovely. She's napping inside her new crate now.

I have her in my office and blocked both doors so Ryu is curious to check her out. I have to admit, I'm nervous about having them meet off-leash. She freezes with the leash on (she has never had a collar or leash on in her 6 years) and Ryu gets frustrated when he has to be on leash in the house.... Would it be better if we kept both leashes on but let them drag in case they get in a scuffle? I'm thinking that if we're not holding onto the leash, Ryu would be less frustrated and would be calmer around her. But I'm new at this so I could use some help :)

This is also a little strange to me - Chloe is in the office with me, Ryu knows she's in here but he's not really bouncing against the makeshift doors to get in. He comes by, sniffs, jumps up, and then leaves and acts like nothing is wrong.... I guess I just imagined him to be banging against the doors to no end....

It's only been 4 hours since we got her so we have a lot to work through :)
  • RyuRyu
    edited November -1
    Oh, Brad, I know absolutely nothing about her. I know that she was released from a puppy mill in Edgar Springs (about 50 miles from me) along with 48 other dogs to rescue. Of those 49, the SIRA rescued 4 Shibas and put them in foster homes today. All this happened this morning - crazy to say the least! I have to say that for a dog that woke up in a puppy mill this morning, she is definitely not what I expected. She's obviously stressed and a little scared, but she's wonderful with people. She comes when called and knows "sit". We gave her a bath because she reeked of 6 years of dirt and feces and we didn't get even one whimper out of her. Not one Shiba scream!
  • edited November 2008
    Congrats Pam! You are doing a wonderful, selfless thing! Chloe is such a sweetie - I'm sure you will learn so much about her while she's with you!

I would focus on building a bond with Chloe before anything. I think it's most important that you make the new dog feel comfortable and build trust. You already know Ryu and his behaviors - and you should have control of him at all times. But you don't knoe Chloe and there isn't much trust yet...and you don't know if you have her under control. I will definately agree that dogs behave totally different on-lead vs off lead.

For example - Ninja is horrible meeting new dogs on lead - but yet, he is able to be around 20-30 dogs in daycare without any issues.

Another thing may be territory - I'm not sure if Ryu is territorial at all, but I have heard of some cases where dogs are awesome with other dogs in neutral territory - but when new dogs come into that dogs house - all hell breaks loose.

I would recommend keeping them separated for the first week - inside the house. I would recommend walking them together and having them sleep in the same room in their crates. This will give you time to bond with Chloe and during the walks, Chloe and Ryu can have some time together.

If all looks well - I would put the collar and leads on them and let them drag it while they get better acquainted. Do this for a while, until you truly feel there will be no issues from either dog.

I have some other training aids I could recommend to you if one of the dogs or both of the dogs are not improving with the transition.
  • RyuRyu
    edited November -1
    Thanks Romi! That was exactly what I wanted to know - and you explained it perfectly.

And I love the recommendation for more bonding time with Chloe. I won't argue with that! :) By the third hour she was here, she was napping on my lap as I read. I hope she loves it here :)
  • edited November -1
    No Problem! That's awesome that she is warming up to you so fast! I think she will have an amazing life while you guys have her...and hopefully she will continue to have a good life when she finds her forever home.
  • edited November -1
    Poor girl, thanks for taking care of her.
  • edited November -1
    She has such a sweet expression, what a cutie.
    Congrats on doing a great thing for her.
  • edited November -1
    That's fantastic Pam. I think you guys are doing a great thing. I just want to reinforce that Romi's advice is perfect. When introducing a new dog into your home, you have to take everything really really slowly. Let them both earn every small step toward complete integration. It is much much easier to prevent a bad thing from happening than it is to stop it after its started.

I know you guys will do awesome, and it sounds like Ryu is more than happy to have a foxy lady around. Keep us posted!
  • edited November -1
    What a beautiful girl. She looks like a cuddle bug.
    What a great thing you're doing for her. Good luck.
  • edited November -1
    Pam: Love Chloe.... What a cutie, and so great to hear of all the loving care you're giving her! I think you have the approach down just fine, and expect she and Ryu will hit if off just fine with the approach that's been described! Thanks for taking care of her...
  • edited November -1
    She is so so cute! The last pic she looks like a seal!
    Cant wait to hear more stories...she is going to be homed in no time!
  • edited November -1
    She's very cute - good job on the rescue!
  • RyuRyu
    edited November -1
    She is so cute. She's fallen asleep on me twice now. She LOVES to be massaged.

She still has this God-awful smell about her though. We washed her twice (in the same bath session) today but I think she's going to need a couple more before she smells like a normal Shiba :( I'm going back and forth between cuddling with her and then loving on Ryu - by now, he has shunned me and is now cuddling with Daddy lol
  • edited November -1
    She has such a sweet face! Congrats, and thank you for doing such a selfless thing. I am sure that in a few days, Ryu and Chloe will be great friends. Just take it slow like everyone else has said! And please, more pictures. :)
  • edited November -1
    She has something special about her...
    I have decided I don't want to know how she got her scars. :(
  • edited November -1
    She has such a sweet face. Her eyes are beautiful. Thank you Pam for caring for her.
  • edited November -1
    She's beautiful, even with the clipped ear, missing toe, and scarred face. My heart aches to think of what might have happened to her. If I hadn't found my Tosca, I'd want her. I hope she finds a home with people who shower her with as much affection as Tosca and the rest of this forum's dogs recieve on a daily basis.

Hope you find your way back into Ryu's good graces again. I'm sure you will.
  • edited November -1
    she is beautiful!

I wouldn't let her and Ryu interact for at least a week, even though it is tempting!

Good luck! You are giving this girl an incredibly good start for a wonderful, normal dog's life!
  • RyuRyu
    edited November -1
    She is incredible. Last night, on her last potty break, her tail went up! She is definitely happiest outside. And this morning, she wagged her tail when we woke up :)
  • edited November -1
    Yay Pam, you are doing such a great thing for this girl! Im glad she is adjusting so well. Don't worry, Ryu will forgive you and start cuddling again!
  • edited November -1
    that is awesome pam! Hachi was much, much happier outside, or in a crate. Its what they know - its what is normal to her. She will get used to being confined in house soon enough. pillows and treats are never a bad thing to get used to!

And Kristin is right, I get the cold Kitsu shoulder whenever a new dog comes in for a few days, then he's extra cuddly to make up for it! :)
  • edited November -1
    Lol Chloe might end up being your first and only foster Pam ;)
  • edited November -1
    Pam, you are so fortunate to have this forum while you are starting off with Chloe. I wish that I had joined before I got Jazz - I think I would have made fewer trial and error mistakes that I did.
  • edited November -1
    Woohooo! (for tail wagging!)

I am glad she is getting more comfortable. I bet that tail will be up full time in no time!
  • RyuRyu
    edited November -1
    So true, this forum is a God-send. I don't think I would have built up the courage in the first place if not for you guys.

Jen - it's such a different world for me. With Ryu, we grew with him since he was a puppy so we know how to touch him, how to teach him, etc. With Chloe, we're starting from scratch. I've learned that she loves being inside her crate but doesn't like the door to be locked. If she can come and go, she prefers to be inside but she paws frantically at the door when we shut it. I also noticed that she really wants to play (skips around and wags her tail) but sort of doesn't know how to yet. Sometimes, I'll play with Ryu in a separate room but within viewing distance of her (through the mesh screen on the make-shift barriers to the office) and she'll just stare and stare at us. Very interesting.