Shiba Inu in PA kill shelter

edited November 2008 in Rescue
Just surrendered today,
Shiba Inu, Red Male, 2 years old, Intact
Not great with other dogs, but has lived with children (8yrs+) and cats
Housebroken
Reason for surrender: "no time for dog"

He's a nice boy, a little nervous and on edge, and DEFINITELY needs to get neutered to change his 'tude, but otherwise a nice boy.
I can't pull him right now, and NYCSR is full of intakes at the present time.

If anyone is even remotely interested, let me know or contact Kate, office manager at Lackawanna County Humane Society (tell her Jennifer sent you). I am more than willing to help with transport at any reasonable distance.

A phone number for the shelter would be helpful... 570-587-0745

Thanks!

Comments

• edited November -1
    Poor babe!! :( ~
  • edited November -1
    He's actually quite 'adoptable', he's super cute, healthy and very VERY playful. I hope he catches someone's eye soon, because I cannot pull him, which is the most depressing thing I've encountered in the last two days...
  • edited November -1
    uggh. Sometimes. ...

I should e-mail my mom.
  • edited November 2008
    ohhhhhh nooooo.... Exactly how bad is he with other dogs?

I just sent an email... If I can create at least a semi-friendly relationship between him and Mylie (she's very sociable, I'm worried about him) I may be able to at least foster.
  • edited November -1
    Melissa,
    I'm going to do a longer eval on him today around 4pm so I'll be able to get a better handle on his reactiveness with other dogs. The vibe I got from the brief meeting when he was taken in was that he is just full of himself - for lack of better words "ballsy" - and undersocialized. He is less reactive around females for sure, but still needs to be neutered and structurally socialized.

If you are interested, I'll let Kate the manager at Humane Society know to hold him for you. You can also let Jenn Mauro know (since today's eval is for NYCSR) that you might be taking him in to foster so she can put him on the intake list as a home foster.

I'll email you once I get back from his eval and let you know how it goes.
  • edited November -1
    oh, good luck! :0
    Yeah, i'm sure his reactiveness just comes from him still being intact.
  • edited November -1
    Bear:
    From Pooh Bear - LCHS
    He LUNGED (snapping) at a very friendly golden retriever during our dog evaluation this afternoon. He won't really let me check him out or pet beyond his head. He is stressed, tense but still wags his tail and comes when called and sits for a pat on the head. He's good on a leash but has a leash reactive issue when he even sees other dogs. He's a nice boy with people, but desperately undersocialized and NEEDS to be neutered!
    But he is very cute, and I only hope he will catch somebody's eye.
    From Pooh Bear - LCHS
    From Pooh Bear - LCHS
    From Pooh Bear - LCHS
  • edited November 2008
    :(
    that's too bad, he's so innocent looking! I hope somebody out there is a good match for him. I'm here as a last resort for fostering and I'll check his status in a week or so, but I definitely don't want Mylie in any danger, or to feel uncomfortable in her own home. Maybe we'll arrange to meet him and see how he reacts with her if he's unable to find a family...
  • edited November -1
    Sounds good... I would pull him too except that I'm already out of room keeping Hanzo separated! He is a cute little guy and nice with people.

I'll whisper you the intake/adoption manager's phone number - she would be your best bet to stay UTD on his safety status (and can call you when he becomes in danger) since I'm not making it up there as often this past month :(
  • edited November -1
    Whatever happened to Pooh Bear?
  • edited November -1
    As far as I was told, he was adopted!
  • edited November -1
    YAY!!
  • edited November -1
    Wow, awesome! :D ~