Does anyone...?

Hi, im Jennifer and my dog is Sachi. Ive been a member for a while, but this is my first addition to the forums. I wanted to know if anyone shows their dog(s). I would like to get into showing. Does anyone have insightful tips they could give me? Maybe class recommendations, or websites where I can find information. I looked around the AKC site, and it has some decent info, its just really broad. Im looking stuff more Shiba specific, classes, or resources where I can get tips to start show training Sachi.

Comments

• edited November -1
    I cant help you with showing but welcome. And in order for us to like you we need to see lots of pictures.... ; )
  • edited November -1
    Thanks for finally posting! I also don't have any great advice about showing, but hopefully you'll get some soon. I think we have 2 or 3 members that have shown their dogs at some point.
  • edited November -1
    Look for local kennel clubs - they often have conformation classes and can tell you alot shows. Also, onofrio.com is where you can search for shows in your local area, so that you can go and watch & see what's going on.
  • edited November -1
    I've shown Kuma twice, but here in Portugal, so no advice on how to do it there.
    It's a good idea to get your dog to have great "leash manners" before going in the ring and practice standing still for the judge, since that's probably the hardest thing to do for them.
  • edited December 2008
    Hi Jennifer and welcome:

As far as dog shows there are many things you can do from obedience, rally-o to agility and canine good citizen testing. The dog need not have papers only an ILP listing.

If you are interested in conformation showing you really should be talking directly with the breeder you purchased your dog from, they are best able to mentor you and help you out, sending you in the appropriate direction.

Snf
  • edited November -1
    AKC.org has a portion on their site "Where to get started". After discussing your plans with your breeder and seeing if they can foster you along or point you towards an actively showing friend of theirs that you can go watch and shadow for a few shows, look at your local clubs or training facilities that offer handling classes. If you want to show, you should have a dog that your breeder and you believe to be a good representation of the breed. The dog has to remain intact (something to think about if you have a female who will have seasons), and showing/travel is expensive. National shiba club of america webpage has rankings of current dogs and bitches that you can look at and lists upcomming events you can attend as a spectator. I'm a novice in showing too so welcome and lets chat!
  • edited November -1
    Thank you guys for responding. I put some additional photos on my profile. And the website recommendation was great, it had some stuff listed for Florida. Kind of sucks being so far south in FL, makes driving other places a lot more difficult to make.
  • edited November -1
    HEY! There's another Floridian on here & I didn't know!

I have the contact for a Shiba breeder in Jacksonville that shows. [ I took pictures of her boys at the Dog Show a week ago ] I can give it to you if you want, she might have some advice. :) ~
  • edited November -1
    Jennifer: Welcome and thanks for posting the pics! Sachi is a beautiful doggie, and if dogs could make it in the show ring on looks alone she will be going far! Love Sachi's tortoise friend, too! Novel companionship, but I have noticed that dogs can be friends to all manner of creatures!

I have no information about showing dogs, but there are others on the forum that I know will be quite helpful and you have received good advice already in the posts above.
  • honestly having shown in AKC events unless you get a good honest breeder judge a top name handler will win the points 9 times out of ten. Even if their dog is not very nice they often times are still the winners just because they are a big time handler. AKC conformation showing is a tough thing to do. It is very fun and the times you do win it is amazing but be prepared to not win very often. It really is a handlers game. I always praise the breeder owner handlers because it can be tough to finish even a very nice dog in AKC shows.
  • I can answer any questions you have. I am at work right now. I can give you a better response after work
  • Like others have suggested already, find your local kennel club and join. Many offer conformation classes. You want to take sachi to training classes to get her comfortable with being examined by strange people on a table. Go to www.infodog.com it will show you all the shows coming up in your area. Go and watch some of the rings. If your breeder is not near you, find a shiba breeder that is willing to mentor you in the beginning. Are you looking to show AKC? There is also UKC that is a little more laid back. For someone just starting to show UKC is a little easier. Most of the judges are helpful and freely give tips to exhibitors. In AKC you can run into politics and judges that will only put up professional handlers. The politics in Shibas will not be bad in the southeastern states. The important thing is that you and your dog have fun. Feel free to message me with any questions you have. I show AKC/UKC/Nippo and IABCA.