Two shibas in NY kill shelter

edited February 2009 in Rescue
Turned in together:
http://www.petfinder.com/petnote/displaypet.cgi?petid=12945999
http://www.petfinder.com/petnote/displaypet.cgi?petid=12945990

"These pretty girls were an owner turn in due to some reason. VERY nice girls they have been together forever and if at all possible they would like to stay together. They are 3 years old very well behaved girls."

located at Licking County Animal Shelter
544 Dog Leg Rd.
Heath, OH 43056
Phone: 740-349-6562

Comments

• RyuRyu
    edited November -1
    Thanks for posting this Jen! I sent the links to SIRA - maybe they can help.
  • edited November -1
    Those girls have Nemo like faces. I think there is either a mill, or BYB in the lower midwest where Nemo and the others come from. Over the years there have been a good amount of dogs that come into rescue that have similiar face shape to Nemo. The amount of them ending up in rescue makes me think bad breeder who will sell to anyone.

I hope these girls find a nice home.
  • RyuRyu
    edited November -1
    I know of at least two mills here in my area (within 100 miles of my house) that breed Shibas. This is where Roxy and Mika came from. It's infuriating. Also, MO is known for having more (some would argue, the MOST) puppy mills than any other state.
  • edited November -1
    I agree Pam! What is so sad, it that there are so many puppy mills with Shibas in MO, but so many people still do not know about the breed. I know the lady we got the puppies from, Roxy, Naiya, etc. sells a lot of hers at auctions(so to other puppy mills). Hopefully we get these Shibas. I know we have 2 new foster homes looking for fosters!
  • RyuRyu
    edited November -1
    That is AWESOME! Hopefully we can get them in the system and pair them up quickly. Tim and I are DYING to foster again but we want to get to a good place with Roxy first. I can't put any more stress on her at the moment.

I'm hoping we'll get some volunteers in OH that will be able to pull these girls out of this shelter soon. Maybe we can set up a transport to get these girls to MO?? Just thinking out loud...
  • edited November -1
    Misery is the worst state for mills by a long shot. The laws there are a joke, and even worse is the enforcement. Although Wisconsin is starting to have a lot of mills too, as our laws are not great either. And rural northern Wisconsin is sparse in population, so it's easy to have 100 acres of land with a few barns that are far from the road so things aren't seen.

Good luck on your efforts to help these girls.
  • edited November -1
    Brandon...the laws really do suck! People always say, "Just report them to the state." Well, they are registered with the state :( When we pick up dogs, we sign forms that they turn into the Department of Natural Resources. So the state knows exactly what is going on. Uggghhh.

Pam...I know there is a foster home a little east of Indianapolis, IN, close to the Ohio border. Hopefully they can help. I wish I could, but since we have Meiko back, we have 5 again. Also, teaching during the day, Masters courses at night...at now I get to plan a wedding :) No more Shiba for my :(
  • edited November -1
    I hope they find their happy homes, they look like such lovely pups...
  • edited November -1
    Oh man! How sad. I'm actually VERY close to Licking County. I would love to help in any way I can but I'm at work for 8 hours a day, we dont have a fenced yard, and I've never fostered before. BUT if you guys know that someone CAN and WILL foster these guys and they just need a little "lay over" until they can be moved.....if I can help just let me know.
  • RyuRyu
    edited November -1
    Thanks Katie - we'll see if any SIRA foster homes are available. Maybe we can have you participate in *part of* a transport to the foster home. I'll keep you posted :)
  • edited November -1
    Well I wish I could do more. Even if it's only boarding the girls for a few days till a foster is able to take them. Just let me know if there's anything I can do to help. ( I forgot to mention that the hubby is home during the day while I work so they wouldnt be there ALONE if they needed a place to crash for a day or two)
  • RyuRyu
    edited November -1
    We all wish we could do more but even doing a small part is wonderful. I know that we can't foster right now but I try to help by doing transports (usually only an hour drive) for multiple rescues. That way, I'm still helping move homeless dogs from shelter to foster home or foster to forever home. I don't think many people know there are small things they can do to help rescues other than fostering (though fostering is encouraged! hehe)

Thanks Katie for offering your help - we may call you on it if this works out! :D
  • edited November -1
    Katie-even just helping overnight does wonders! We did that one night and actually had 10 dogs in the house...lol. We felt bad because we had to keep the 5 we were transporting in the basement in kennels, but in the long run, it is so much better for them!
  • edited November -1
    Well I would TOTALLY love to have some Shiba's visit even for a night. Especially if that means they are that much closer to finding a forever home!!!
  • edited November -1
    You guys are all so great, with helping the lives of pups, even if it is just for a little bit...

I hope to one day do as you all are doing, but that will have to wait until I have a house of my own.

I would just like to say THANK YOU!!!, thank you for being so great
  • edited November -1
    If you go on Petfinder.com there are hundreds of Shibas out there in kill shelters. They all need homes desperately.
  • edited November -1
    hows it going with these girls? According to Shiba-L they've been pulled [pending paperwork]?
  • edited February 2009
    These two look pitiful, TWO MALE SENIORS - outdoor dogs who were probably never a part of a family. Shameful really.
    I'm sending info to NYCSR also.

http://www.petfinder.com/petnote/displaypet.cgi?petid=12976588
    http://www.petfinder.com/petnote/displaypet.cgi?petid=12976619

Elmo and Big Mac:
    He (BM) is the larger of the 2 Shiba Inus, the other named, Elmo, whose owner could no longer care for them. both have been outside dogs their entire lives, living apart but next to eachother in kennels. Fed from a feeder with only rain or snow for water, they are adjusting to the shelter. They may have once even been show dogs, but those days are long over. They are not housetrained and with insufficient information, we are unable to place them in a home with small children. Will they ever know what it's like to be a family pet?

Warwick Valley Humane Society Inc.
    PO Box 61
    48 Public Works Drive
    Warwick NY 10990
    Phone: 845-986-2473
    Email: wvhumane@warwick.net
  • edited November -1
    Outdoor dogs for sure, look at the coats on those boys.
  • edited November -1
    Poor guys :(
  • edited November -1
    Hey, I just went to petfinder to check on the two shibas in OH. They aren't listed anymore. Do you guys know if the rescue picked them up? Or if someone adopted them?
  • edited November -1
    I tried to check but didn't get definitive information, Katie.

Pam/Nikki - do you know anything?