Akita in Kill Shelter in New England

edited February 2009 in Rescue
http://www.petfinder.com/petnote/displaypet.cgi?petid=12971970
Fantasia was picked up as a stray on 12/26. She is a fun dog that is extremely playful, loves the snow and is very energetic! She is very friendly, knows sit, loves to play with toys, but can be mouthy. A home with no young children and a good size fenced yard (not required) would be best for her. If you would like to meet a dog, please visit the shelter during regular business hours or email aimless123@gmail.com. Shelter hours are Monday - Saturday 11:00 AM - 3:00 PM - closed holidays. Out of respect for employee schedules, volunteers can't take a dog out within 15 minutes of shelter closing time. Animal Control Officers and shelter employees do not work with the dogs and often can not provide information about the animal's personality. You must go to the shelter to arrange an adoption in person. No adoptions can be arranged over the phone or by Internet. For information on ways you can help through volunteering at the shelter, please call (401) 272-1639. You must be 18 to volunteer.

I don't know this dog, this is just a courtesy posting.

Comments

• edited November -1
    I'll cross post!
  • edited November -1
    Awww, man. She is gorgeous. I will post as well everywhere that I can.
  • edited November -1
    Hope she finds a home. <3 ~
  • edited November -1
    She is very cute, she seems like a great girl!
  • edited November -1
    that is very sad. no point to kill any dogs. why dont kill shelters try and find other shelters or get in contact with a rescue group and see if they cant find her a good home.
  • edited November -1
    I hope she does find a home, she looks like a really pretty girl.

Justin- Sometimes kill shelters don't have the funding or resources to really find what would be helpful to the dog. There are shelters with people in them that try as hard as they can, on their own time even, to find someplace or someone to benefit the dog. That's not to say that there are shelters and people who don't care about the dogs, we have one near me that's trying to pass a bill allowing them to use taisers on "dangerous" dogs i.e. bully breeds such as pits.
    What really helps these dogs is efforts like what most of the people on this forum are doing, advertising for the dog through word of mouth.
  • edited November -1
    She is adorable. Sounds like she has a very playful personality too.
  • edited November -1
    I'm sending her info to ARWNY!
  • edited November -1
    shibasrules- This is a municipal shelter (i.e. the pound) They get every homeless dog in the city of Providence. At this point (with much thanks to the irresponsible dog owners who don't spay or neuter, or buy dogs without considering the cost of caring for them) EVERY rescue contacted in the tri-state area is FULL. A dog we transferred in July has STILL not been placed. Municipal shelters legally cannot be full, so when they are, they have one option...

No kill shelters typically can be no kill because when they are full they just stop accepting dogs.

The solution is people spaying and neutering their dogs, rescuing instead of buying, and caring for the animals they have for the entirety of their lives, not just the easy parts.
  • edited November -1
    Even no kill shelters get overrun and underfunded. Its a rough, rough system.
    There is a fantastic article in the last months (?) Whole Dog Journal about what "NO KILL" really means in shelters, rescues, etc.
    Truly, the only real solution is as Jessica said - public education about the necessity of spay and neuter, supporting shelters by adopting or seeking out a reputable breeder and being committed to each and every one of your animals for the rest of their lives.

This is a pretty good overview of how shelters work, its pretty accurate to my local shelter anyway:
    http://people.howstuffworks.com/animal-shelters.htm