Love - ADOPTED 06/23/09!!!
  • RomiRomi
    (PLEASE READ WHOLE THREAD - MANY THINGS HAVE CHANGED SINCE THIS FIRST POST!)

My friend sent me a message this morning. She has acquired a 8 month old female/spayed pitbull. Aparently one of her friends was the second owner, and his family decided to move to oregon and couldn't take her.

She says that she is the sweetest thing. She isn't very well trained on the leash, but she does know how to sit and lay down. She seems fine with older kids 9+..all she did was lick them to death. She seems very skittish and gets scared from loud noises and even dogs barking. They think that she was abused by the first owner because anytime someone raises their hand, she freaks out and her tail tucks under.

She doesn't know how she will do with other dogs - because she hasn't had her interact with any. But she says when she see's other dogs...she doesn't seem to care.

She is between 50-55 lbs. and is up to date on all shots and is spayed.

I am going to meet this dog to get a better idea of her personality. I will keep you updated.

There is a time crunch. My friend can't keep her for long, due to apartment rules. So if they can't find her another home by the end of this week, they will have to take her to a shelter. I'm hoping we will find a home from her soon, and if she is OK with dogs, I might even consider fostering her for a short while hoping to find her a good home within a couple weeks.

I would also be happy to help transport if not too far, or maybe we can possibly set up a transport system.

Please get the word out!

Here is a pic of the cutie
    Photobucket
    Romi - Portia (Boxer), Ninja (Shiba), Wink (Norrbottenspets)
  • KFontaine04KFontaine04
    Super cute girl. I will let my sisters who live in LA know, see if they know anyone.
    Post edited by Unknown User at -0001-11-30 00:00:00
  • SangmortSangmort
    What a sweetheart! She's beautiful. Hope someone takes her in quickly.

[ there's something about her that reminds me of Miss Piglet, I think it's the eyes...just so gentle looking ]~
  • sujewelsujewel
    What a beautiful girl!!!!
  • RomiRomi
    Ok, just heard from my friend - she isn't the one caring for the dog, it is her friend. She just got news that the dog has to be gone by tomorrow night. Although, she scheduled for me to meet her tomorrow night...i'm not sure if I don't take her, he will take her to the pound right after, or what.
  • HeidiHeidi
    What a cutie! I would take her in a second if I were closer.
    Dogs: Rakka (shikoku), Sosuke (kai), Effie (bc/kelpie)
    Cats: Hester, Batgirl, Stephanie, Harley
  • RomiRomi
    okay, I guess she is not spayed afterall. I have a friend who is interested, but would like to meet her first. I'm hoping she will be okay with dogs, so I will be able to foster her for a short while so she won't have to be sent to the pound. And then i'm hoping my friend falls in love with her.

When do females usually go into their first heat? They aren't for sure, but they don't think she has had her first heat yet.
  • dlrobertsdlroberts
    I think it varies, but is typically in the neighborhood of 8 months.
    dlrobertsdlroberts
    Dave, proudly owned by Joey (Shiba Inu), Tyson (Kai Ken), and PRG's Mason Julien McDieserton III, a.k.a. Diesel (Labrador Retriever).
    "My opinion may have changed, but not the fact that I'm right"
  • BradA1878BradA1878
    Oh man, she is cute. Such a nice little face. This poor pup needs to find a forever home and stop being passed around. poor girl.

I think, tho I am not 100% on this, Pits tend to go into their first heat at a year. I think Dave's guess is good: 8 - 12 months.

If you stress her out o much she will probably slip into season.

Let us know how she does when you meet her.

----
  • tsukitsunetsukitsune
    Good luck with whatever the outcome! She has an irresistibly cute face!
    volunteers4paws.wordpress.com
    shibas, beagles & more!
  • JohnJohn
    She is the sweetest pit I have had the pleasure to meet. She needs a dedicated companion that will take the time to lead her. It's only been an hour but I think I'm in love.
  • RomiRomi
    So....we picked her up! She is a ball of energy and super sweet. She is horrible on lead - like really, I think she's blind. She just goes in every direction. She is also more like 40 lbs. - she is a tiny little girl! She is super strong for her size as well. My wrists are killing me! She will need a good amount of training.

She is really bad with meeting new dogs. Not in an aggressive way or anything, she just gets too excited. Even Portia was scared of her. Obviously, due to her energy level (and the fact that I don't think she has been walked often or been out in public, or met new dogs frequently) Ninja was not fond of her. He snapped at her a few times, and she really didn't get the point, just kept trying to play with him more.

We went on a long walk at the park we met at to try to drain some of her energy and then loaded the pups in the car. Drive home was fine. We brought her inside to my office where we set up the pen. We fed the dogs. I put Ninja and Portia in their crate and took the pittie out to the front yard to explore and do her business. We brought her back inside and let her explore the 2nd level of the house.

I brought her back into my office, so Ninja and Portia could go out and do their business. She is quite the lover. I also noticed when I was petting her, I felt hard spots all over her. She rolled on her back and I looked closer and they were all TICKS!

We removed 31 ticks tonight, and she still has more. She started gnawing on our hands, so we stopped. Didn't want to push her too far on the first night. First thing tomorrow I need to go out and buy Advantix and apply it to her ASAP. Then take her to the vet. Poor thing, those ticks were/are sucking the blood out of her. I am pretty grossed out by it.

We have still not decided on a name...I can't think of anything! She really loves John and John is really falling for her too. Things are going much smoother this time around and she doesn't seemed stressed at all. So that's good.

I am feeling really itchy and gross now, after removing all those ticks, so I am going to shower and get some rest. I'll have another update for you guys tomorrow.
  • RomiRomi
    Sorry forgot the spam...

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket
  • Aw, such a sweet heart.
  • KaddyKaddy
    She is SO sweet looking... omg... I wish I could just cuddle her and take in a 4th, but I think we're already pushing it with 3 :o/
  • CrimsonO2CrimsonO2
    I say call her Oreo! She sounds like a sweetheart!

Jesse
    Jesse Pelayo

• KaddyKaddy
    Oreo is a GREAT name!!!!!!!!
  • KaddyKaddy
    Yesterday (while eating Chicken Tikka Masala) I decided that TIkka was also a good name :o)
  • okironokiron
    I'm usually not a fan of people names on dogs but she looks like a Sam/Samantha to me.
    -Rina
  • HeidiHeidi
    Awww, she is so cute! You could name her Nyx. That means night.
  • brandon_wbrandon_w
    Poor dog, all of those ticks.

I hope things continue to go well and that Ninja can deal with a new dog in his space.
  • KFontaine04KFontaine04
    Wow, she is super cute! I like the name Oreo.

Ticks are gross! 31 is a lot! Poor girl, Im surprised she had so much energy with all those blood suckers on her! Hopefully the advantix and you removing the ticks will help a lot! Im sure she appreciates it!
  • sujewelsujewel
    Awesome! I'm glad she's safe in your hands. She's super cute!
  • tsukitsunetsukitsune
    Holy gross! 31+ ticks is a huge job! I thought 4 was bad! I bet you feel uber itchy now!!!!! Make sure you are killing them after you remove them - I had a zip lock bag full of 91% rubbing alcohol and was dropping them in.
    Poor girl... she was that neglected!?!? You can also put some antiseptic on the tick bite sites if any are red.

What kind of ticks were they? Check out the list Melissa showed me: http://www.tickbegone.com/ticks.php
    Then you can be aware of any tick born illnesses she's now susceptible to. I hope none!!

Best of luck with her! She is lucky to have your care!
    shibas, beagles & more!
  • sunyatasunyata
    She is very, very sweet looking. And thanks for taking her in. Good luck with the rest of the ticks, I am sure she is very appreciative of having them taken off!
    Bella 2Mountains 2Nola 2
    Casey, with Bella and Nola, hanging out in the mountains of Virginia.
  • dlrobertsdlroberts
    Wow Romi, that's quite an adventure!

I'm glad things are going so well. It sounds like Ninja did perfectly on the introduction. That's great too!

I can't wait for more updates.
    dlrobertsdlroberts
    Dave, proudly owned by Joey (Shiba Inu), Tyson (Kai Ken), and PRG's Mason Julien McDieserton III, a.k.a. Diesel (Labrador Retriever).
  • BradA1878BradA1878
    Jeez, that's a lot of tick. That's so sad! She is so lucky to be with you and John now. She is in good hands!

I agree with Dave, sounds like Ninja did ok! It will just take time, have patients - Ninja has really come a long way.

she is very cute!

----
  • Holy Moly she is adorable!

The tick thing is disgusting!

If you haven't gotten her one, I aught Piglet how to walk on an Easy Walk Harness in under a week. Pits respond REALLY well to front attached harnesses.

I know 3 pitties named Oreo...

I like Tikka, then again, I love Indian food.
    Fuzzy Gang Signature
  • MeilianMeilian
    I LOVE the name Oreo for her! She looks like such a sweetheart!!

thats AWFUL about all of those ticks!! Make sure if they're deer ticks to keep them all and bring them to get tested for Lymes disease. That poor girl!

She's in good hands now though : )
    Post edited by Meilian at 2009-04-08 14:21:15
  • CaliaCalia
    She looks like such a cutie, love the little white on the snout.

Ticks are disgusting, and I agree that you should figure out which kinds of tick(s) she may have. She could have caught some really bad diseases from them, like Lyme disease.

I think both names are cute. Oreo is over used, I feel, and Tikka is kind of reminiscent to all the ticks she's had on her.

What I've found to help get lots of ticks off, albeit may not be the safest for a hyper active dog, is putting some rubbing alcohol on a towel (just enough to make it smell), and wrap it around the dog for about a minute or two. the fumes will KO the ticks, causing them to fall off. It also works as a quick fix for dropping a flea population. We've used this method quite a few times after walking through wooded trails on ourselves, as well as on the cats when the were really infested with fleas.
  • Beth not to argue with you, but I have been warned against putting anything on a tick (alcohol, vaseline, etc.) because as the tick dies it will regurgitate the contents of it's stomach into your dog. So if the tick has Lymes or another disease you are increasing the odds of infection.

The safest thing to do, is to pull the tick off with your fingers or a tick removing device (like what Jen bought). THEN kill it.
    Fuzzy Gang Signature
  • CaliaCalia
    It was just a thought, ticks are constantly "swapping spit" with their snack, so I thought it wouldn't make much of a difference.
  • CaliaCalia
    Plus, it doesn't really kill them, it more stuns them
  • Just saying what both my vets told me.
    Fuzzy Gang Signature
  • tsukitsunetsukitsune
    FWIW, I've been reading the same thing - that aggravating the tick makes it regurgitate before it detaches (if it does). The best is to just get it out without vaseline, oil, burning it, putting alcohol on it, etc.

I did it the wrong way at first though, tried to 'smother' with vaseline. There is so much info on the web, its hard to decipher what works and what doesn't. From my recent experience though, just getting one of those plastic Ticked Off tick removers, removing it and killing it (safely, not with bare hands) is the safest all around route of tick removal.
    shibas, beagles & more!
  • StaticNfuzzStaticNfuzz
    Wow 31 .....that's just nasty! Revolution is supposed to work for ticks as well. But I don't know that how quickly. I would certainly complete a exterm. of your couch and living area where the dogs normally lounge. I know that ticks will fall off molt and then climb back on. If there are tiny ones you won't see them, so be sure you protect yourself too with preventative clean up.

Poor dog you know no one took care of her properly to begin with. Dogs don't just get 31 ticks all at once. Some vitamin supplements are in order too so she can build up her ferritin count.

Snf
  • RomiRomi
    We have been collecting the ticks in a glass jar filled with alcohol. A couple hours after I applied the K9Advantix, I found a few dead ticks on her bed. Guess this stuff really works. I also bought the tick removal tool, so John and I will be able to get the rest of the ticks off her safely tonight.

The Vet visit today went very well. She only weighs 38.5 lbs.! My vet estimated she was between 7-9 months, definitely under 1 year old. He said her heart and lungs sound good and her skin looks pretty good too, probably just give her a nice bath. A good amount of the ticks were on her belly and when we removed them, we saw skin irritations. He said if she starts licking excessively or starts scratching a lot, we just need to put her on some pills. He also told me to watch her behavior, if she becomes lethargic or shows soreness in her joints, we need to bring her in to make sure she doesn't have lyme disease - or treat it if she does. With that many ticks, you never know. So overall, he said she was pretty healthy and a good weight for her size.

While I was paying, a lady and her very overweight mixed breed came in. She said "My dog is very friendly and not threatening at all" and I said "well, I'm not sure about mine, I just picked her up yesterday" and she said " well, lets see how she reacts when I walk in" so she walked in and pittie got so excited! She started play bowing and wanting to play. So I let her go up and she had pretty good manners. She sniffed and continued to play bow and make silly noises. It was cute.

the name OREO just isn't rolling off my tongue very well. But we need to give her a name ASAP! No more of this...hey, over here..*smooch noises* lol
  • wow sounds like a good day

for the name...
    i kinda like Truffle : )
    since she's such a sweetie.

: )
    Post edited by animatorshiba at 2009-04-08 20:33:41
  • CrimsonO2CrimsonO2
    I used to have a Rottweiler that my sister named "Sachi/Sacchi" (pure bliss). Everything you've said about that dog so far seems to fit that....

Jesse
    Jesse Pelayo

• HeidiHeidi
    She reminds me of an orca. You could name her Keiko after the orca. Keiko is a Japanese name, too, since she's somewhat of an honourary nihon ken.
  • LeonbergerLeonberger
    She's so cute!
    Wow, 31 ticks is a lot of ticks. Poor baby.
    I'm very late to this, but she looks like a Maggie to me...
  • okironokiron
    Lol Heidi stop reading off the member's list for name suggestions ;)
    -Rina
  • CrimsonO2CrimsonO2
    Evan would be flattered...I think:P

Jesse
    Jesse Pelayo

• okironokiron
    Lol so would Rui ;)
    -Rina
  • sujewelsujewel
    She looks like a Cassie to me.
  • brandon_wbrandon_w
    You can use, Mjöllnir (Thor's Hammer) if you would like.
  • dlrobertsdlroberts
    LOL Brandon. We haven't heard that suggestion in a while! :-)

BTW, she looks like an Abby (or Abigail) to me.
    dlrobertsdlroberts
    Post edited by dlroberts at 2009-04-09 11:44:41
  • okironokiron
    Ooo I like Dave's suggestion. I like Abby.
    -Rina
  • tsukitsunetsukitsune
    oooh Orca is an awesome name for a dog. I'm gonna use that some day!

I'm glad the vet thinks she looks good! Poor darlin', she is one lucky pooch to be in your care!!
    And I'm glad the advantix works so fast! I'm def. switching to it!!
    shibas, beagles & more!
  • RyuRyu
    I really like Abby too. You could borrow "Nala" from me - Roxy was supposed to be a "Nala" but it didn't fit. I promise one of my future dogs is going to be named Nala, darnit! lol
  • KaddyKaddy
    I'm pretty partial to the name Keiko... one of my favs for sure!! ;o)

Truffle is totally cute too :oD
  • HeidiHeidi
    Okay, I wasn't doing that on purpose :-P

If you want to be silly and cutesy you could call her Mookie or Shnookums.
  • RyuRyu
    Again! Another forum name!! (Mookie)
  • CrimsonO2CrimsonO2
    LOL poor Heidi...

Jesse
    Jesse Pelayo

• RomiRomi
    Ok....I finally gave her a name....Love.

Because she is so lovable and everyone who meets her falls in LOVE!
  • RomiRomi
    By the way, she is doing GREAT! I have her confined to my office, but she doesn't mind. I really think she just enjoys being indoors and having a nice bed to sleep on and have toys to play with. She LOVES plush toys and bully sticks! She is doing SO much better on walks. She learns so fast! I also introduced the clicker to her today. She is excellent at sit, watch, and leave it. But she is still trying to figure out "down". I am really surprised how smoothe this transition is going. But feel terrible for keeping Love confined to my office when off leash. We were definitely thinking about keeping her, but Portia has made it a no. I could deal with Ninja not liking a dog, but if Portia doesn't care for a dog (she usually warms up to every dog) then that's got to be a sign that it's not a right fit. As much as John and I have fallen for her, we think she is better off in a home where she can roam around free and get lots of love and attention.

Here is some spam from last night. She started being very playful. She is just too cute and so gentle.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

We have a few friends who are interested in her, so she may be in her forever home by this weekend!
  • tsukitsunetsukitsune
    she is an absolute doll <3 That name is perfect for her! I'm sure whatever home is found for her will be the one she's waited for!<div class="UserSignature">volunteers4paws.wordpress.com
    shibas, beagles & more!
  • KFontaine04KFontaine04
    Love is adorable. I hope she finds a great forever home soon!
  • RomiRomi
    I think we found Love a home!!!

One of John's brothers old high school friends saw her pic on Facebook and fell in love. She sent the pic to her husband - and he said "GO PICK HER UP NOW!!!"

She gave John a call and he explained everything about Love to her. Her family seems like the PERFECT home for her.

The couple owned a pitbull before when they first got married (experience with the breed is definitely a PLUS!). The husband worked at a Vet (another plus!) and also was a dog trainer (another plus!!!) when he was younger. Unfortunately, their pit got skin cancer and after lots of money and treatment, they had to put her to sleep. They didn't get a dog after that, but had kids. After they had kids they got a Chihuahua. But they still miss their pit. She said she always gets emails about available dogs for adoption (they were looking for a while) but none of the dogs seemed right. First look at Love on John's Facebook, she fell in love instantly, as did her husband. She feeds her chihuahua an organic diet and seems pretty knowledgable about the differece between good foods vs not so good foods. They also understand about vet care (obviously, since her husband worked in that industry for a while) And they are totally down to start training with her. John has been to their house before and said they have a nice home and a huge backyard.

They also said that one of their mutual friends brought over their pit and the chihuahua was fine with it, was playing and seemed to get along really well. We are going to go to their house tomorrow for a home check as well as to see how Love does with their chihuahua and kids. I am crossing my fingers!!! They seem like an excellent couple with experience with the breed as well as training dogs in general. I am stoked!!!

WISH US LUCK!!!
  • KFontaine04KFontaine04
    Good Luck to you and especially to LOVE!
  • BradA1878BradA1878
    Good luck! Sounds like a great home for her, that's wonderful. You guys are great!
  • sunyatasunyata
    Good luck! It definitely sounds like a perfect fit, so I really hope it works out for Love. Let us know how it goes tomorrow!
    Bella 2Mountains 2Nola 2
    Casey, with Bella and Nola, hanging out in the mountains of Virginia.
  • cmmookiecmmookie
    Good luck. Miss Love is so lucky that you guys came into her life!
  • tsukitsunetsukitsune
    Good luck!!!
    shibas, beagles & more!
  • RomiRomi
    So we went to meet the couple this morning at 930. They really like her but but their chihuahua was pretty terrified. They have an awesome backyard and she was having a blast running and playing in their backyard.

They were having guests over the weekend so they said they will think about it and get back to us. They seem like a great family and they have a great space... But I'm not sure how they feel about their chihuahua.

So we'll see what they say. I've gotten a good amount of inqueries from strangers... But when I send my response for information and questions about them and how they plan to care for her, I haven't gotten 1 response back yet.

We got her an easy walk harness this afternoon and tried it on her for our night walk. Her walk was 70% better! (thanks jess!).

Overall, everything is going well at our home, I'm getting tired waking up an hour earlier and walking an extra 2 miles in the morning (walking them seperately) but it's good exercise right?

I have more spam...but I'm writing this post on my iPhone so I'll have to upload those later on tonigt.
  • CaliaCalia
    *fingers crossed*
  • LeonbergerLeonberger
    That's cool! I hope it works out for her, as they seem like good forever family.
  • okironokiron
    *chanting some voodoo magic* :P
    -Rina
  • RomiRomi
    So...just thought I'd give an update. Today marks 1 week of having Love. We haven't heard back from the couple yet :/ She is doing very well! I have been walking the dogs seperately in the morning and we have been walking them all together at night. She has learned to not be such a spaz when she see's other dogs. She still gets very excited, but we have got her more under control now. Unfortunately, since she is SO excitable around other dogs, I have not let her interact with P or N other than the walks at night.

She has a good appetite and seems to have adjusted to our schedule well. She seems a lot more comfortable now after giving her a nice bath and removing all those nasty ticks!

On the other hand, Ninja is doing fantastic! He was very growly and snappy the first 2-3 days, but yesterday he showed interest and did not react when she tried to approach or play bow. I am not too worried, she is a boisterous girl and Ninja did give her quite a few corrections, but she doesn't take them as corrections. She just goes back into play bow stance and tries to pounce on him. I am more worried for Love than Ninja. lol.

I am very shocked with Portia though. She is usually very accepting of other dogs, but she is in total avoidance mode with Love. She just pretends she is not there and really seems to not want anything to do with her. Kind of strange...

I don't know if I am more confident in myself and Ninja or what, but this transition has been so much easier and not stressful at all. I am quite proud of myself! I was very hesitant since I had that experience with Hanzo...but I'm glad I got over myself and stepped up!

Well, here is some spam...she REALLY loves my couch in my office...anytime I let her out of her pen, straight up on the couch she goes!

Photobucket
    Photobucket
    Photobucket
    Photobucket
    Photobucket
    Post edited by Romi at 2009-04-14 23:35:23
  • dlrobertsdlroberts
    Yikes! She is just too cute for words in that first pic. :-)

I'm really glad to hear how well Ninja is doing. You should be very proud of him and of yourself!

The different behavior you are seeing in Portia and Ninja could be a result of the sex difference between Love and Hanzo. It came up in another thread, but I suspect it applies here too.
    dlrobertsdlroberts
  • HeidiHeidi
    She's so precious. I wish I could take her.
  • okironokiron
    Aww <3<br />
    I'm glad everything is going alright.
    -Rina
  • brandon_wbrandon_w
    Every smart dog loves a couch. She is adorable.
  • I suspect Dave is right, like human females, canine females are often leery of new girls in the group (LOL). Think about how long it has taken Piglet to accept Miko. Although she HAD accepted her (and Piglet doesn't like other dogs). Walking them as a group is a great start to getting them cool with each other.

I would bet the other issue, since Portia has never really shown major issues with new dogs you haven't had to devote the kind of energy to her in this regard, the way you have Ninja. If you wanted to get them cool with each other, I would suggest a lot of the techniques you have used with Ninja, as well as some simple click-and-treat work so Portia sees Love as someone who gets her delicious wonderful things.

She is freaking adorable BTW.
    Fuzzy Gang Signature
  • tsukitsunetsukitsune
    oh Love!!!! She's too much!

Hooray for Ninja, all things considered I think you and he are doing really well together in this situation! But Portia! THat is surprising.
    shibas, beagles & more!
    Post edited by tsukitsune at 2009-04-15 12:47:59
  • BradA1878BradA1878
    Oh man, she is super cute!

I'm with Dave and Jess on why P may be strange around her.

Also, dogs tend to ignore things they are weary of. Maybe she just doesn't know how to take Love's energy?

----
  • RomiRomi
    Yeah, I agree, I think Portia doesn't know how to react to Love's energy. We want to work with Love on controlling herself when she see's other dogs first...hopefully Portia will get more interested after Love stops trying to pounce on her every chance she gets. If that doesn't help, we will probably start some training with Portia as Jess mentioned.

Sigh...apparently Love is going into heat. John mentioned to me that in the morning after she pee'd, little drops followed and they were brownish red. I took a look at her and her privates seem swollen. Hopefully it will be a short one! I've never had to deal with a dog in heat - any tips?

ETA: Unfortunately, the couple decided not to take Love. Their son told them he was scared of her and the whole deal with their chihuahua. They have decided to look for a smaller, less energetic, kid friendly dog.
    Post edited by Romi at 2009-04-16 01:29:18
  • Piglet bled all 21 days when she went into heat.... And she bled a lot. That said, she was about 7 years old. If Love does bleed considerably which pit bitches can, save your money on doggy diapers. Buy boys tighty whiteys, and overnight maxi pads. Put the underwear on her backwards so her tail can go through the slot.

That could also explain Portia not being thrilled with Love.
    Fuzzy Gang Signature
  • KFontaine04KFontaine04
    LOL Jess. I can totally see Piggy in backwards Superman Under-roos!
  • RomiRomi
    I will post a better update when I have more time, but I just wanted to say...Bitches in Heat SUCK!
  • RomiRomi
    Whew! I finally have a minute to actually post and read threads!

Love is doing great! She is doing very well with training and I am socializing the shit out of her! LOL. I have been taking her out on 30 minute walks 4 times a day instead of the schedule my other 2 are on. We have been meeting lots of new people and dogs on our walks. And she still continues to love everyone she meets (except children...I haven't let any kids come up, since I don't know how she'll do, even though she seems excited to see them). She does great with dogs her size or bigger who can handle her. She plays really nice with them. Small dogs just can't stand a chance with her play style. She get really excited and paws A LOT, pounces and jumps up on them. So i've come to the conclusion it's probably best that if she goes to a multi-dog household, it needs to be a dog her size or larger.

Love in heat is a pain in the ass! Her pen is in my office - that has white carpet! John was a smarty pants the other night and left one of the crate locks unlocked and of course she got out. She is also a diaper escape artist so of course she got out of that as well. I came into a room with red spots all over the carpet and couch. UGH! It took me hours to steam clean all the spots in the carpet and I had to throw all the couch covers in the wash. I did a lot of R&D on the diaper situation the past few days and finally came to a solution!

First I bought Depend Diapers because they were only 10 bucks for 20 at the Albertsons and they didn't have boys underwear. Those didn't work at all, she slid out of them like nothing. The next day I bought boys tighty whities as Jess mentioned and put the overnight pad. She was crawling on her side and sliding them off too! Aparently I got too big of size. Yesterday I came up with the plan: I cut part of the tighty whities to make it so her knees wouldn't get caught and pull them down. I also cut a higher tail hole. I then cut holes in the waist band about 1 inch apart all around and threaded elastic through them and tied it off in the back. I did that last night and so far no escaping the diaper! I also laid old bed sheets on the couch, her bed, and over most of the carpet.

*sigh* 8 days down...hopefully 13 more days to go or less!

I also got her records FINALLY. She is up to date on all her shots and her spay has been paid for by the previous owner as mentioned. I am hoping to get her spayed by mid May and then get her evaluated and tested for behavior by a professional to make sure she gets placed in the right forever home. Her birthdate is also 09/12/08...so she is actually 7 months. Looking at the first post I made to this one...my friend was off on a lot of things about her.

Unfortunately, I lost my camera charger...so these pics are from my phone. Some diaper shots, lol.

With the Depend Diaper
    Photobucket

With my custom diaper :)

Photobucket
    Photobucket
    Photobucket
    Photobucket
    Post edited by Romi at 2009-04-24 04:51:39
  • okironokiron
    Aww so cute. It's so great on what you're doing for her Romi.
    -Rina
  • KaddyKaddy
    She is adorable... I just love her face.
  • CaliaCalia
    Even with the "diaper", she's breath taking.
    Post edited by Calia at 2009-04-25 00:02:34
  • KFontaine04KFontaine04
    Love is so cute! Even in an old lady diaper!
  • dlrobertsdlroberts
    LOL. That's too cute. :-)

I'm glad it is working out so well with her.

How are Ninja and Portia doing with her?
    dlrobertsdlroberts
  • BradA1878BradA1878
    poor love :o( She looks so sad!
  • RomiRomi
    Well, I just got home with Love after her spay. She was terrified of the E-Collar at the clinic, they said she peed and pooped everywhere when they tried to put it on, so I should try when I get home. I got home and put it on with little fight from Love. She is definitely scared of it. When it's on, she doesn't move, she just freezes and sometimes is shaking. Once I go over to her and comfort her, she is fine. I put it on her while she was laying down in her crate, and she hasn't moved!

Unfortunately, this past week, I noticed Love had A LOT of dandruff, so I ran the furminator through her and large clumps of hair started coming out, with dead skin/scabs attached. I also noticed that there was no hair around her eyes (see pics) So I had the vet do a skin scrape and she does in fact have Demodex Mange :( . So I got a 3 supply of ProMeris (topical treatment) that I need to apply every other week. Then have another skin scrape done 6 weeks from now to be sure it's gone.

Here are some pics from last week:
    Photobucket
    Photobucket
    Photobucket
    Photobucket

Here are her post-spay pics:
    Photobucket
    Photobucket
    Photobucket

Her cone is freaking humongous!!!
    Post edited by Romi at 2009-05-25 00:24:27
  • RyuRyu
    Romi! In the first pic, her coat looks AMAZING!!!!!! She is such a beautiful girl!! I hope she recovers quickly from her spay - and crossing my fingers that her forever home pops up soon!
  • tsukitsunetsukitsune
    Love is such a perfect name for her!

The Demo mange is rough, but at least not contagious to the other dogs (right??).

How are your two handling Love?
    shibas, beagles & more!
  • SangmortSangmort
    She's SUCH a pretty girl. ~
  • tjbart17tjbart17
    She's a beauty. Poor thing, first diapers now a cone. She's very lucky to have you taking care of her. Hope she feels better soon.
  • okironokiron
    Aww *melts* If only we were the right home for her.
    -Rina
  • BradA1878BradA1878
    Love is so lucky to have you, Romi. She is super cute - I'm sure she is as happy as you are to be past her first heat - it's rough on them! Sux you have to deal with DM now too, but it will be gone before you know it. She probably got it from being a bit stressed.

----
  • ShikokuSpiritShikokuSpirit
    Didn't they give an oral antibiotic with the Promeris? The 2 should go hand in hand. It works really well, I think it took about a month for them to die. And then all the fur grows back.

It's not contegious (sp?). From what I understand it's something the dog already has (it's inactive) but they don't normally "grow" (become active). Usually it is more "common" for young pups under stress but it can also happen to older young dogs at around 2 or 3 years of age. As long as it is treated early, it's nothing to worry about it.

I think the oral medication is call Ivermectin.

I hope the next 2 weeks go by quickly for her. Does she have to have the e-cone on her for the full 2 weeks or just 1 week?
    Areyarisu Shikoku Kenimage

Kotomi | Maika | Zoey | Asra | Ranala

Other Canine Members of The Airreyalis Crew: Zander (Alaskan Klee Kai) | Saphira (Belgian Groenendael) | Izanaiya, Sanosuke & Okiana (Yakutian Laika)
  • RomiRomi
    I'm not sure if they gave her the oral, they just gave me 3 tubes of Promeris.

Demodex Mange is not contagious, and yes, it is a mite that puppies are born with. But they usually dont cause any issues to healthy dogs/puppies with strong immune systems. Dogs/puppies who flare up with demodex mange is due to a weak immune system. I think in Love's case (as brad mentioned) it was probably due to stress which weakened her system and out came the mange.

Sarcoptic Mange on the other hand is very contagious, even to humans...we call them scabies.

Love is almost back to her old self. I switched her cone to a blow up e-collar and she seems a lot more comfortable, but at night I put the cone back on, just to make sure she doesn't get to it while I'm sleeping.

Jen - N and P are pretty used to her. I still keep them seperated though. But I'll let them come in my office and hang out if Love is in her crate or I'll put N and P intheir crates and let Love roam the house for a few hours each night. I think the main issue is that 1. Love is very excitable and rough in play. 2. She is bigger. So, she doesn't do well with Portia because she is bigger than her and rough, I don't think Portia knows how to correct a dog, so she just gets scared and runs away or hides behind me. Ninja knows how to correct, but again, she is larger and his corrections don't phase her.

So, my conclusion...if I ever get a 3rd dog that is going to be larger than my two, it will definitely have to be a puppy that can grow with N and P - so that they aren't intimidated by size, even if the puppy is rough and rude at first, like Love.

Love definitely would benefit with a larger male who can tame her. My behaviorist temperament tested Love with one of her male Aussies. He barked at her when she was getting over-excited and *poof* in an instant, she backed off and approached him in a much more calm manner. It was really neat to watch. But, Ninja and Portia both don't possess that type of confidence.
  • KaddyKaddy
    I SOOOOOOOOOOOO LOVE Love - I can't wait til she finds that home that's perfect for her!!!

A friend of mine is getting rid of doggy crates and xpens from her parents house, I'm hoping to get in on the action so we can foster puppies after we move :o)
  • RomiRomi
    Just thought I'd give a LOVE update :)

She is officially READY FOR ADOPTION!!! She has recovered from her spay beautifully and she needs 1 last topical treatment for her Demo Mange, and then she'll be on the road of recovering her coat!

A rescue/placement group called BarksofLove.org invited me to a big adoption event last sunday. We attended from 930am-230pm . It was great meeting people from the rescue as well as socializing Love with the other rescue dogs and potential adopters. It was jam packed and Barks of Love ended up adopting out 14 puppies/dogs and placing 4 dogs in foster to adopt homes! It was a great success for them!

Love played wonderfully with all the other pitties there and she was very well behaved. This was the first time I took her out since her spay, so I was unsure of how she would react in such a busy public place. But she did awesome!!! It was also a GREAT place to work on her training and focus. She nailed it! I got my treats and clicker out and just started giving her commands. People were pretty impressed that she was actually listening and watching me with all the dogs and people around. It was great because a lot of people started asking me about clicker training and what it was all about. I'm glad to get the word out about it! I thought clicker training was pretty popular, but a lot of people there had never even heard of it!

She is a prime example of a great dog in the rescue system. Who knows where she came from, no prior training, no high quality diet, no schedule, no home to call her own - behaving like a perfect angel. And most of the other dogs there were the same, except for a couple...but you get my point.

Anyways, here are some updated photo's from earlier today - you can really see her hairloss in these (I called my vet last week because I noticed it was getting worse and he said it was perfectly normal to lose more hair during the treatment - as long as she isn't scratching - which she isn't - her fur should grow back in a few months)

Sweet Love

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket
  • okironokiron
    Aww she looks fantastic. Any potential homes for her?
    -Rina
  • TheWalrusTheWalrus
    Such a pretty pup /sigh.

Hope she finds a good home!
  • ShikokuSpiritShikokuSpirit
    CUTE!
    Areyarisu Shikoku Kenimage

Kotomi | Maika | Zoey | Asra | Ranala

Other Canine Members of The Airreyalis Crew: Zander (Alaskan Klee Kai) | Saphira (Belgian Groenendael) | Izanaiya, Sanosuke & Okiana (Yakutian Laika)

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion