An update on Lucy (a shiba I got to meet a while ago)

edited April 2009 in Rescue
I'm not sure how many people remember a previous post I put up some time ago, filled with dog park spam:
http://www.nihonken.org/forum/comments.php?DiscussionID=3288&page=1#

But in that post I mention a shiba named Lucy, who was a bit fearful and whose owner was unsure of how to work with her.
Lucy

The lady had adopted Lucy from a man who picked her up at the shelter, practically right before the shiba rescue got there. The man had only had Lucy for 3 months before giving her away.

Well, at the long island meet up I was hoping that they would come and we can all work on helping Lucy, but instead I had found out that Lucy's owner will be giving her over to the NYC Shiba rescue. This would be best for Lucy, as her current home wasn't right for her. They are looking for a foster home to care for her until she finds that special someone.

I would love to foster Lucy, but unfortunately I can not bring any more dogs until we move out and find our own place to live. I requested that they keep me updated on Lucy's situation, and I hope she finds her forever home where she would have no more need to fear.

Comments

• edited November -1
    I don't want to say too bad for Lucy, because it sounds like the Shiba rescue is a better option for her. I hope a great home awaits her.
  • edited November -1
    I love her!! A fluffy creamie!! She is adorable. My husband and I submitted an application to NYC Shiba Rescue for a female shiba. Triton, our male, loves girls and we think he would do well with a friend. That was almost 2 months ago and we've heard nothing back. This also happened to us in 2007 before we got Triton, we faxed in an app and nothing. I wonder if they don't like to adopt in Upstate NY.... Anyone know?
  • edited November -1
    the fax# on their forms wasn't correct for a while there, hopefully they've fixed that.

Have you emailed anyone?
  • edited November -1
    Thanks for the info. I was beginning to think that they just didn't want us! I will try to find an email for them. We are thinking of fostering too, maybe that would work well.
  • edited November -1
    I would send them a request email via their "Contact us" page on their website (http://nycshibarescue.org).
  • edited November -1
    I think fostering is a great idea! Esp if you get a female that you are considering adopting, its like a trial adoption, all the while helping re-acclimate the shiba to the good life.

Good luck! (if you have no luck getting in contact with anyone there, let me know)
  • edited November -1
    I think Lucy made it to NYCshibarescue. http://nycshibarescue.org/category/foster_dogs/lucyrose/
  • edited November -1
    Yea, I know...The person fostering her is Michele, the woman we were talking at the end of the meet up and handed out business cards. She said that she'll let me know when she brings Lucy to the dog park so I can see her again. In those pics on the site, Lucy looks so much better and her fur has really filled in
  • edited November -1
    Plus I am in the process of filling out a volunteer form, so that way I can help out since I am unable to foster a pups right now (Even though I really want to).
  • edited November -1
    Yay Beth. I am a volunteer for NYCSR, right now I just do transport and home visits in my area.