Eventful Day

edited August 2009 in Rescue
Well as some of you know i work in housing, many of our houses are in inner city Harrisburg, Pa.

Well today i go and do an inspection of a house that the renters were evicted from, which i want to add i only did today because i had time, and i wasn't planning on doing the inspection till next Wednesday.

So when i go inside i start upstairs do the inspection, go to the main living area, then head into the basement, well i'm down there for about a minute when i hear moving. I start to freak out and then realize that there is something behind the wall, when i go around a corner a hear a little bark, that is when a pit bull appears.

He is all skin and bone...i run up stairs call the police and i'm told they can't do anything till the Humane Society gets involve, i then called the Humane Society they told me they can't do anything because the house was with in the city limits, they told me to call the city animal control, so i call them and the guy does the rescue is on vacation and there is nothing they can do.

Well after all of this nothing gets resolved, so i make one phone call to a friend who does fostering and she immediately tells me to get the dog to her, that her rescue will take care of everything for us, so we decided to call the news paper and the local news station to report this issue...

I will post pics of him as soon as i can, when we were being interviewed by the news station he was licking my face and wagging his tail...he is a about a year old and was 15-20lbs underweight, but so happy!!!

Comments

• edited November -1
    Wow, that is eventful and sad...I hate when bad things happen to poor animals, at least you came to the rescue
  • edited November -1
    Wow... poor little guy is so lucky you were there to find him!!!
  • edited November -1
    that is horrible, thank god you got to him. hopefully this has a happy ending.
  • edited November -1
    Thank goodness you did the inspection today! I bet the dog was SO relieved when you arrived. Poor baby...now the dog can get the required and proper care. Funny how things happen, isn't it?

When were the renters evicted? Or rather, when did they up and leave? Do you know?
  • edited November -1
    That poor little pup I hope it gets a good home to live a long happy life.
  • edited November -1
    Aawwwww! I hope they post the clip on the web so we can see him. How lucky you did the inspection today. Sometimes I think of things like this when I get down - how this pibble had no idea his luck was about to turn, and he was saved! Good Job!

(aside: my eyes read your handle too quickly and I first read it as I Luv My 25 Shibas)
  • edited November -1
    Oh wow... That is an eventful day. I hope this guy has a wonderfully happy ending in store for him. And i am sure he thanks his lucky stars that you had time for the inspection.
  • edited November -1
    Holy smokes! That's intense. The dog is lucky I wasn't the one doing the inspection... I would have bolted out of the house, not even waiting around to see what was around the corner lol. I'm a big scaredy-cat.
  • edited November -1
    I meant to reply to this last night when I read this...it's actually really sad, and sad the organizations that are supposed to have helped didn't.

As Chrystal stated, good job!! (and ROFL at 25 shibas).
  • edited November -1
    So i called and checked on the Pittie!!! He is doing good, and is testing well, he has some food aggression, but in all honestly why wouldn't he....

The owners were evicted on Monday, but haven't been seen in two weeks, which is what the neighbors told us....

I was scared when I first seen him, because there has been alot of dog fighting going on around here, but then i realized he was a full grown pit, and he couldn't even get a bark out he was so weak....

Here is a pic of him after we got him a bath and a check up with the vet....His new name is Tyrone we have been calling him Ty!!!!

I wish i could have 25 shibas!!!!
  • edited November -1
    Gosh it breaks my heart to see such a skinny Pitt :( .

I just want to surround him with food until he ends up unable to move because of a food coma!

Jesse
  • edited November -1
    The vet told us yesterday that he is 15-25lbs under wieght but he will be fine, nothing else is wrong with him, he had no parisites, heart worm or lyme disease....
  • edited November -1
    Poor baby...and I bet he looks skinnier than he does in that pic
  • edited November -1
    Poor thing... But all things considered he looks pretty good in that picture, alert and curious, if slightly wary.

I hope he is able to make a full recovery and never have to worry about where his next meal will come from. He is a lucky boy. :)