Kai Ken in kill shelter, Florida

edited July 2010 in Rescue
I'm cross posting this.

Hi all,
Happy 4th! About 2 mnths ago, I rescued a pup...1 1/2 yo male KAI KEN mix (vet says he is %80 pure).....40 lbs(max) and brindle. He was tied to a tree for the most part, greatly underweight and afraid. Since then, I have had MAX neutered, and fully vetted...heartworm test neg . I have had him in 3 foster homes...one of which is in Weston, wonderful lady that does in-home dog boarding and then her daughters for 3 weeks. Today Max is going back to Weston. MAX has evolved beautifully he has gained weight, loves people, most dogs and doesnt chase cats, ducks etc. He doesnt potty in the house anymore but is mischevious (nothing BAD just got into the flour and chewed a sandal).....he hugs and kisses and has a loyal, playful disposition....and he is gorgeous and RARE! The KAI KEN assoc. says that this breed is extrememly rare in the US.
I HAVE TO find him his forever home.....being bounced from foster to foster is going to effect him and he has come too far....and he is too wonderful. He is sweet and loves to cuddle...such a gem!
To be honest, I would love to have him, but that would be nothing but selfish, as it would adversely affect my cats (we just put one of my babys to sleep) and my feral community in the yard.
If someone you KNOW adopts him, I will waive the adoption fee, and if you help get him adopted, I will donate money to your fund. I am just beside myself over this one baby....please, please forward him to everyone you know for me.

Thank you so much!

live for the animals, Toni

Contact toni 754-422-0715

Comments

• edited November -1
    How can a vet tell that this dog is "80% pure"? That sounds weird to me. Any pictures?
  • edited November -1
    This is really all I know. It came from the Kai Ken Forum.
  • edited November -1
    I think this is the dog as it is in the same area. Found this posted on Petfinders under two different rescue groups. Wish I had room and time for another dog as I am in this area.
  • edited November -1
    I broke down and called about this dog. Waiting for a call back. I found some other pics in other places of this dog but I am hoping someone who is more familiar with the Kai Ken to respond and tell me what you think about this dogs looks. How a vet can tell 80% 60% ETC I dont know expecially since these dogs arent very popular to begin with. So any of you out there with Kai Ken experience take a look and tell me what you think.
  • edited November -1
    TBH, I don't really see any Kai in him...Maybe Akita, Maybe Chow, Maybe some Shepherd, but not kai. [ TBH, he looks a lot like the Chow / Shepherd mixes I've seen ] Not saying this dog isn't any less special, I'm sure he's an amazing dog! Just don't think there's any kai in there.

Also, a vet can't tell the % unless they know the dog's parents / pedigree.

Hope he finds a forever home! :) ~
  • edited November -1
    I was thinking chow myself Sangmort. He has a marbled tongue which I thought was interesting. Here is another pic.
  • edited November -1
    I don't know any other breed than the chow having a blue tongue, so I'd say the "asian" look comes from a chow, not a kai. Malinois do have brindle, don't they? So it might be some chow/malinois-mix?
  • edited November -1
    Actually there are quite a few breeds with blue spotted tongues and Kai Ken are one of those breeds.
  • edited November -1
    Oh, I didn't know that! Thanks for telling me! :)
  • edited November -1
    Mals that come in brindle are called Dutch Shepherds ;) [ these are often Mal/Dutchie crosses tho, "pure" mals don't have brindle as far as I know ] ~
  • edited November -1
    I posted this without seeing the dog. IMO this is a Chow or Akita mix, not a Kai.
  • edited November -1
    Well I met this dog in person today. Very nice dog, very friendly and eager to please. He got along ok with my Shiba. Not as good as I would like but possibly workable. The problem was with my cats. He barked at them a lot and I'm afraid with no claws the cats have no chance if there was ever a problem and I just couldnt take that chance. I hope he finds his forever home. I'm thinking he really needs to be in a home alone getting all the attention as he really needs it after his history. He will make someone a great companion.
  • edited November -1
    It was nice meeting you, Velvet
    Max doesnt need a home, alone. Max has been in fosters with SEVERAL dogs of different sizes, breeds and temperments.
    I respect the fact that this is a KAIKEN forum....but honestly his breed is of little concern to me. I have intergrated cats and dogs for years, and barking at the cats, the FIRST meeting is normal and training is necessary as with many things in a new enviornment. All it takes is patience, understanding animals...not just breeds, and a true desire.

If anyone knows of someone that would like to meet him, pls email me
    live4theanimals@yahoo.com
  • edited November -1
    I'm wondering why you think it's the breed. I have heard of plenty of kais that live with cats. I don't believe that he is in fact a Kai sorry.