40th Annual AKIHO LA Branch Show, February 10th 2013

Comments

• Should be a ton of fun :) ~
  • Im gonna be there! Ive never been to cali either :)
  • I will be there showing Emi, Gobo, Kita and Waka!! It's gonna be crazy, but fun!
  • "between Normandy and Vermont" wow! I'll be there! or is there some other Vermont? some vermont in California?
  • And Meichan will be there to cheer on team Junketsu!!
  • Cheer for brindles!!! ^^
  • edited December 2012
    Ditto! Team brindle! ;)
  • I'm making a flyer for it right now but the JACA show is set for Feb 9th. Same location. You do not need to be akiho to enter the JACA show. You do not need to be in JACA to show either. UKC requires a "fun match" before they allow a club to run a full "nationals" :) I thought we satisfied that requirement last year but I guess not.

So it is going to be a kinda UKC show lol. We have a judge (and it is someone who hasn't done our shows before) and she is going over the UKC book.
  • edited December 2012
    Lol @WrylyBrindle they're street names in Los Angeles
  • I figured they'd have to be, since between Normandy and Vermont is somewhere in the Atlantic Ocean. I hope Vermont St in LA is the nicest street. :)

But most importantly- BRINDLE is BETTER! GO, brindles, all!
  • Vermont and Normandy in Gardena is nice. Sadly traveling to far away from the intersection gets sketchy really fast.
  • Who is the judge for akiho show??
  • I want to go. I think it could be fun. It's right next to the hood but at that time in the morning I can't see any problem.
  • I haven't experience any problems at the park. I don't eat out during lunch but stay at the park though. Ben usually makes his burritos and tamales and offers them for sale. Even though he says it'll be the last year he'll make them, I've been pretty well fed every time I've went. ;-)
  • yum...tamales.... :) are other dogs allowed to come?
  • Yes, you can bring other dogs.

That said (and for 98% of you already know this) just make sure and not let you dog roam on extend-leash etc. This is aimed at people going for the first time to a show and or just browsing the internet.

Gardena, is a cute little community. Like most of LA, there are questionable areas around it.
  • @timkim - Akiho website lists Mr. Toyota Tsuguo as our judge.
  • Can someone explain what all the different awards mean please?

Meiyosho
    Yochiken
    Yoken
    Wakainu
    Sohken
    Seiken

:o3
  • Meiyosho is an award given to the best dog at a headquarters show. So it is only given in Japan. Tokuyu is the highest award given to the a dog at a branch level show.

The rest are classes:
    Yochiken (youngest)
    Yohken
    Wakainu
    Sohken
    Seiken (oldest)
  • What are the ages for the different groups?

I didn't know that in NIPPO shibas are broken up different than the medium-sized breeds. I wonder if they're also different for the akitas?
  • edited January 2013
    Yochiken 3-6 months
    Yohken 6-10 months
    Wakainu 10-18 months
    Sohken 18-30 months
    Seiken 30+ months

Only Seiken dogs can earn the titles Tokuyuu and Meiyosho. Seiken dogs will be disqualified if they do not meet the minimum height.
  • Yup, the AKIHO age groups are different than NIPPO according Shigeru's blog.

Here are NIPPO's (I converted to months so easier to compare like to like)

1. Waka 1 (young dog 1): 8-14 months (7 -12 months for Shiba)
    2. Waka 2 (young dog 2): 14-22 months (12-18 months for Shiba)
    3. Soken (adolescent dog): 22-34 months (18-30 months for Shiba)
    4. Seiken (adult dog): 34+ months (30+ months for Shiba)

• The judge for AKIHO, LA branch show is not announced yet. Tsuguo Toyoda was 2012's judge. We should find out sometime this month. The headquarter is not in hurry as we are in announcing it! :)
  • Cool thanks everyone :D
  • CAN ANYONE TELL ME THE SIZE OF THAT SHOW (hOW MANY ENTRIES LAST YEAR
    THANKS
  • There were approximately 30 entries last year.
  • *bump*

My friend and I will be going to the AKIHO show on Sunday rather than the JACA show on Saturday. Just spectating. :-)
  • There are 38 entries on Sunday the most LA branch has ever had!
  • what is the difference/relationship between JACA and LA-AKIHO?
  • Short version? AKIHO is the registry, based in Japan, focused on the preservation of the breed. JACA is the breed club, based in US, focused on promoting the breed and other US specific issues.