Quick Question re: Japan Champion (Akitas)

What is a Japan Champion and how does this differ from Meiyosho?
I keep seeing this in the Akita Inu Pedigree and I don't know what it means.

Sorry for opening up a new thread on this.

Comments

• edited January 2013
    It means they're a champion in JKC. Its no different than any other national kennel club championship, eg. AKC or CKC. There is overlap between the JKC and AKIHO but... in my experience, many of the dogs they put up as champions in JKC would not do well in the AKIHO ring. The judging is different and they seem to emphasize height over all else. Some I've seen have very unbecoming heads and expressions.

Keep in mind that a points-based champion title (which most are) can be earned through sheer perseverance and determination. Attend enough shows and eventually the dog will get titled. The same is not true of Tokuyuu and Meiyosho in AKIHO.
  • Thanks @poeticdragon . The akitapedigree.com database is good in that it has a lot of users and dogs, but the information doesn't appear to be vetted and/or confirmed. Some dogs have every title listed under the sun, and some dogs that have titles are not listed on there.

It would be awesome if AKIHO had their own (do they? and is it public?). This way AKIHO pedigrees are maintained and information is consistent with show results, breedings, etc. :)
  • The organization system at AKIHO HQ would not support such an endeavor... its pretty haphazard to say the least. ;)
  • @ MapleTwinkie In addition to what poeticdragon pointed out, we use the database for research when breeding. Yes, it is not vetted or confirmed, but if I add the name of my dog or the dog I am interested in I can see a possible pedigree on 9 generations or more, with names of owners/breeders of those dogs and their registration numbers . All I have to do to make sure the info is real is contact those owners or ask for info from kennel clubs based on those numbers.
    You will also find information on dogs affected by SA and VKH and in the near future we will have the possibility to check the inbreeding coefficient as well.
    It's a tool created by Akita fanciers, owners and breeders in order to have as much information as possible about the breed, however it is not bulletproof and yes, some info could be wrong, but if it is, it is only done by mistake. Everybody tried real hard to put as much information as possible (me included).
  • COI - I hope the Akita Pedigree people don't just barrow Claire's work without permission.

The problem with Akitapedigree.com isn't the breeders in Europe really. I noticed that a lot of the entries are well thought out with plenty of information. Like others have pointed out it's the lack knowing 100% on some dogs.

One example is spelling changes in the name. u for h for g etc you get the point. While we don't have the number of entries, I like the fact that we keep scans of the paper pedigree online for our members to look at. PoeticDragon also came up with a nifty way to link to OFA for us. To non-members they just see a field for health clearances but the membership accounts get to see that information.

• :-)) Oh Sean what a not-so-nice thing to think about my fellow Europeans!! Besides, I am 95% sure that they don't even know you have a database and that you can compute the coefficient. I didn't know myself before reading one of Claire's post saying that she discovered smth that needs to be improved.

You will see with akitapedigree.com, if you will start using it and adding to it, that the website does not let add the same dog with the same registration number with two different spellings.

Yes, I repeat, it is not bulletbroof and I wish we had smth similar to what you have, but even with its shortcomings it is really useful.
  • The borrowing the COE part? yeah I kinda painted with a big brush. But it's true, I always credit the owners of the photos and then boom I'm looking at Kaede and my puppies with my photos and they couldn't even put me down as the breeder. I'm totally butt hurt by that ;)

The second part about the entries was a compliment. Most of the crud entries are not from European breeders. Most of your fellow breeders put in titles, cross with the SA notes from finland, and overall are good entries. They provide good data.