Dry Food Suggestion requested

I have a 7 year old male shiba inu.
He's been fed with Acana Pacifica, Orijen 6 Fish and Natural Balanace Sweet Potao and Fish Formula, and I rotate those.
It's been a few years this way and I'm just wondering if he might have been tired of the same tastes..... (Do they ever get tired of anyway? (lol).
I'd like to know what other shiba inu owners feed their babies.
Please advise. Thanks!

Comments

• You're only feeding fish.... Is your shiba allergic to the other proteins?

I rotate mine between proteins to keep them interested, but keep 1-2 as novel proteins just in case.

Might want to join the shiba forum side since we have many threads there that discuss what shiba owners feed their dog :)
  • I would throw in some different protein sources. I find my guys tire of fish rather quickly.
  • edited January 2015
    Second this one. Rotate proteins. Earthborn Holistic and Zignature Bison and lamb are part of my three's protein rotation because my shiba is allergic to chicken (despite the fact he goes apeshit for it)...go figure.

Jesse
  • My Shiba loves Acana's new flavor Duck & Bartlett Pear. I rotate every bag with a different flavor - we've done Ranchlands, Pacifica, Duck & Bartlett Pear, and Grasslands.

I also crumble and soften a 1/3 patty of Stella & Chewy's with water into her kibble for variety. Her favorite flavors of those are Pheasant, Surf & Turf, Lamb, and Duck Duck Goose.
  • we also rotate proteins, as well as brands. But I'd say the least risk digestively is to choose a different protein of the same brands of food your dog already enjoys. Some stores have free sample sizes- so that's a nice way to test out others.
  • Thanks for the suggestions,everyone!
    I have not seen him allergic to anything yet, but I would have to be careful when I change the diet.
    I did some research here on Food, Nutrition and Health category, and found quite a lot of people use Innova EVO Red Meat, Wellness CORE Ocean and Blue Baffalo.
    I wonder which I should try on my Shiba....
    Any suggestion?
  • I suggest you stick with whatever brand your shiba is on now, and SLOWLY switch to another protein. Your shiba had too much fish lol.
  • I've had success with Earthborn Meadow Feast and Coastal Catch (but CC is also fish); Orijen Regional Reds; Acana Grasslands; Taste of the Wild High Prairie, Southwest Canyon, Sierra Mountain, and Wetland Fowl (however one dog has a chicken allergy so we don't feed that one anymore).
    The same dog that has the chicken allergy also is food picky/gets bored of one type easily. To help remedy this, I make a kibble parfait with small layers of 4 out of those 7 flavors with sprinkled treat crumbs throughout so that some scoops might have some really yummy treat flavors in it. And breakfasts are a small amount of kibble with mostly random flavors of dehydrated raw food (Primal or Stella and Chewy's). One of the pet stores nearby has a buy 3 get the fourth bag of food, treats, or toys free so it's easy for us to switch flavors easily.

She's spoiled. :P
  • If you have Merricks in your area, they have quite a few different flavors of dry food and tons of flavors of soft food. We feed orijin but once in a while we mix in a few spoonfuls of Merricks soft food into their food to change things up a bit
  • Fromm also has a variety of protein sources. Their food seem to sit very well with my dogs.
  • Thanks, everyone!
    I'll do some more research and add another source of protein to his diet.
    Thank you all for the valuable suggestions.